“Served it's purpose”
Review of Maui Seaside Hotel

Maui Seaside Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kahului
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We chose this hotel for a one night stay because we flew in late afternoon and were heading to Hana the next morning. It is convenient to the airport, groceries and right on the ocean. It is an older hotel but is well maintained and clean. As stated by others I would say it is comparable to a motel 6. I have no complaints other than there was a strange smell in our room - musty maybe? We stayed in a deluxe room - not sure what made it deluxe other than we had a partial view of the ocean. The complimentary breakfast was good - the pancake breakfast was big enough to share with my daughter.

I might stay here again but never for more than 1 night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HCP237

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed for the first time with my elderly mother and young son. I chose this hotel because we needed somewhere to stay for one night prior to getting in our condo. At the same time I was not too excited. I expected a dive. It was a LOT better than I expected. I booked the least expensive room, and it faced the pool and there were two chairs outside the room you could sit in to relax. There is also a beautiful view. The hotel room was clean. The bathroom looked very up dated and large, and the people were friendly. We had a coffee maker and mini fridge in the room. The lawn is beautiful and everything is well manicured. Also, our price included "free" breakfast for the adults. It is a slight savings, but their breakfasts are pretty inexpensive anyway, so I am not sure it is a great deal if you want options. There are three options for breakfast. The first one is "healthy" and includes oatmeal. I can't remember #2, but we had a piece of toast, two eggs, home fries, bacon/ham, and coffee. I believe it was $7.95 on the menu, and actually our room was $15 more for the breakfast included option, so that is why I say if you want variety, don't book with the breakfast option. My four year old did get the french toast option. I think it was about $8, but he LOVED it.

I would definitely not hesitate to stay here again, and I wouldn't worry about it next time. It isn't the Marriot, but I can find nothing wrong with the property, and everyone staying there was very friendly.. It was great.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank CoastalJen
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I reviewed this hotel in April 2013 and we are back again in Dec 2013. I stand by my review in April -- which I copy and pasted at the end this update.

This time we went for a Deluxe Room. Last time we had a Superior Room. The Deluxe Room is bigger than the Superior. Also it has a view of the ocean and the park the east side of the hotel. The room is very nice. It is clean and has a nice lounge chair near the window. Just like the Superior Room, I really like the bed. I slept very well on it. The A/C also has numbers on the thermostat to choose your temperature. If memory serves me well, I do not think the Superior Room had this feature.

The complimentary breakfast (as part of the package I booked) at Tante's Restaurant (where the free breakfast is) is still good, however, you are limited to 3 options on the free breakfast. But each of the 3 options has enough food and it is tasty.

Here is my original review from April:

"This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel, so if that is your standard, stop reading. This is a good hotel that looks like something between a Motel 6 and a Hampton Inn. It is an old hotel and a lot of the components (especially the corridors and stairs) are well worn. But the rooms are bright and very clean. The hotel is centrally located so if your plans include the great beaches of the NW part of the island or Lahaina, or Haleakala volcano, or a day trip to Hana, you will be greatly positioned.
In a lot of instances if you book online, you will have an option to get "complimentary" breakfast as part of your room rate at the on premise restaurant -- Tante's Island Cuisine.
The bed and pillows were great -- in fact better than the bed at the Fairfield Inn or Hampton Inn we stayed at in NYC or even the Embassy Suites in Honolulu.
This is the hotel where ordinary Hawaiians stay. It is a great value and I would return."

AND WE DID!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank adongeorge
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Maui Seaside Hotel was close to the airport, that is why we chose this hotel for our 2 night stay in Kahului. Our suite window faced another building, no ocean view, no pool view. The grounds were well manicured and the hotel is right on the beach. Very family friendly and we found the staff to be polite.

When we arrived at 4:00 at check-in, our room was not quite ready. Whille we waited for our room, I asked where a restroom was nearby that I could use. They said it's near the laundry area, but I would need a room key to access it. I asked if I could have one, but they said, "No, I can't give you your room key yet because your room isn't ready." I asked if there was a common use key that I could use instead and they said no there is not. Seriously? Lucky for me my housekeeping called within 10 mins to say my room was ready.

We were disappointed in the suite that we had, it didn't resemble the pictures on-line. The drapes were filthy and the bathroom was very small and out-dated. We had an ant problem in our room and didn't notice the problem until the second day, but it was too late, we had ants crawling over and in our luggage! The hotel did compensate us by giving us 1 free nights stay.

The door didn't close tight with a gap that you can see through to the outside, because of this you can hear the ocean waves coming up on the shore all night long. I'm a light sleeper and the noise of the ocean kept me awake.

The TV was so small, my laptop screen was larger! You only get about 10 channels. They do include internet with the room, but you are lucky if you can get a signal. Most times we could not.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tammy M
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed here on November 20, 2013. We arrived from the mainland on a late flight and I did not want to drive to the other side of the island on unfamiliar roads in the dark. This property is only a mile or two from the airport and is easy to find. If you are expecting the Four Seasons you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a reasonably priced, incredibly clean and meticulously maintained property you will be pleased. Our rate included breakfast which made it an even better deal. I cannot stress enough how well maintained and clean this property is. We travel several times a year and generally stay in properties at a higher price point than this one. That said, I have not stayed anywhere that was cleaner or better maintained. It is obvious that the staff cares and tries hard to give you a good experience. Only negative to our stay was that the parking was a hike from our room.

Room Tip: I would get a room in the Tower building. They are larger and should be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2fastforU
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My son and I visited Maui for the first time and did not want to spend a lot of money for a motel that we would only sleep, shower and change clothes in. We arrived 11/12/13 and departed for home 11/15/13. A very short visit. The room was clean and the staff was pleasant. We were close to stores and shopping. We walked to the mall, shopped at Safeway for a quick breakfast, and walked to Avis to rent a car for two days to tour the island. I would recommend the place to others. Its close to the airport and does not have a shuttle so we took a taxi. $11.00 for that. We did not pay the higher price for continental breakfast to be included, so we ate quick picks from the grocery store. Fine with me. Good place to say unless your spoiled and need to be wowed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank BeverlyB15408
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I am writing this review on behalf of my parents (locals) because I was so disappointed in the service they receieved. Not friendly at all but nice to tourist though. After staying here three times they found they have to pay $120 a night for a delux room (pool side) not including breakfast and it's not a guarantee either. Rooms that are not pool side are horrible. Definitely not worth the stay if you don't get a pool side room. They really need to be nicer to the locals.. Unbelievable the way they treat seniors who are born and raised here. Very disappointing. You can pay less than $100 a night for a beautiful hotel with wonderful service in Lahaina and Kihei but my parents stay at Seaside ONLY because it's close to where we live on Maui. Otherwise they would never stay there. At least other people have had good experiences. Too bad for nice older local people I guess. So disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank V_v_Hawaii
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kahului
Maui Beach Hotel
#30 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston at Papakea Resort
Aston at Papakea Resort
#26 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Maui Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!