1,190 results
All reviewsclose to the airportattached restaurantminutes from the airportkahului airportolder hotelconvenient locationsmall beachnice poolon site restaurantper nightceiling fansmall fridgeroad to hanacoffee makerwest sidemauigrounds
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Room 2008
A lot of locals stay here...only minutes from the Kahului Airport. This hotel is outdated (minor remodeling), but clean. The only complaint I have is that the mattress was soft. If you are a coffee addict, bring your own; they have a coffee maker and ice machine. There is free wifi and they will print your boarding passes at the reception desk. Parking is $5/day in the hotel lot. There is free parking, but we didn't want to take the chance of possible break in to the rental car. There are some rooms (ground floor) with lanis, but I personally would not want the ones facing the pool (noise), great if you have children. The pool is small, but they are oceanside. They have a restaurant on the premises and the food is good. On Friday evening and Saturday morning they have a guitarist/singer... nice touch.

Shopping malls and strip malls are are within blocks, Costco is close too. I always love to go to the swap meet on Saturday morning 7 am, at the college. They have wonderful produce and great stuff to take back home. They also have wonderful food/drinks there too!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We checked the reviews and chose the Maui Seaside for part of our Hawaii trip and spent three nights here in May 2013. If you are interested in staying at this location, please read my entire review and then make your decision.

This is definitely a no frills type of place which we knew up front from the other reviews. But the location was central to the things we wanted to see the most in Maui. First, if you have ever stayed in one of the old Econo Lodge, Motel 6, or the old Super 8 locations in the southwest, then you have something to kind of compare the Maui Seaside too. If you have only stayed at a places like the Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, or any other lower end chain, then you are in for a real let down. If you are used to anything of higher quality, then this is definitely not the place for you so you should RUN away now!

Clue number one was as the bus driver on the rental shuttle at the airport. It was late and we were the only people on the bus. On the short ride from the terminal to the rental lot, the driver asked us where we were staying in Maui. When we said the Maui Seaside, there was an odd silence and then he asked us for the name again. Then after a long pause he said “that is an old, local place” and the conversation ended. Clue number two, was the actual rental car agent, who asked the same question, and we got the same response. We wondered a little about our decision to book there at this time.

When we arrived (about 10p) the only thing the front desk seemed interested in was telling us all of the security rules which are numerous. The two girls who checked us in were not friendly and seemed annoyed. No Aloha present here. While I was waiting near the lobby, an extremely drunk man stumbled by and mumbled that it was “too late to leave now.” That was a real comforting feeling. All I can say, is the initial impression was not good and the place has an institutional feeling. Also, they charge you $5 a day to park and the parking is tight with small, limited spaces especially with all of the trucks that choose to occupy double spaces. One day and night, they closed off about a dozen or so spaces for what appeared to be a car show.

There is an elevator but there are some stairs to access it. Not that big a deal to us, but might be to some. There was a dank, musty smell in the halls and the room. Up in the room, I found all kinds of short and long hairs in and around the sink. I took a towel which already had some small stains on it (yuck) and cleaned out the sink. So much for the reviews that say this place is clean. At this point, if it had not been so late, we would have probably left. The bed was extremely uncomfortable after we got up the courage to lay down in it. They hide the tissue paper in a drawer under the TV. The front desk does not mention it, but they do have Wi-Fi if you can get the staff to tell you the credentials. It took me 2 calls, but I finally got the Wi-Fi to work. Some people in reviews mentioned a free breakfast, but we never saw it.

At this point we should have left, but we decided to tough it out and stay. For the things we had planned in Maui the location was good, but given the experience, I would never stay here again. If we had it to do over again, we would plan more time in Maui and just make the drive from somewhere else.

There is a restaurant (Tante’s Island) attached to this place which actually had decent food. We ate breakfast here twice and dinner once. I found the staff in the restaurant to be extremely friendly compared to the hotel staff. Supposedly, it is under the same local Hawaiian management, but we found the staff in the restaurant to have much more Aloha than the front desk.

There are not too many hotel choices in Kahului but I would not recommend staying here. Do not make the mistake we did and use Kahului as your base because there are not good lodging options.

Positives
Large room space
Close to the airport and a lot of tourist attractions
Free Wi-Fi if they give you the correct credentials
The food and service was good at the restaurant

Negatives
Old and dirty place that gives you an uneasy feeling all around
Musty smell
Uneasy feeling especially after dark

It is telling when the rental bus driver and the rental car agent do not recommend your accommodations when they ask where you are staying in Maui.

Hope this review helps anyone considering the Maui Seaside.

Room Tip: There are some stairs to access the elevator. I do not recommend staying here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank trancemission
kimiwoodd, Director of Sales at Maui Seaside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

It appears that you spent a lot of your vacation reviewing your island experiences. We thank you for your review of the Maui Seaside Hotel. Most of our guests favor our Hawaiian style Hotel, a hotel that most people enjoy for the laid back style and friendliness that is a part of our island culture. We are sorry you were dissatisfied. Please call me at 808 737 5800 x 223 to discuss your experience.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel staff were very courteous! Also, they went out of their way when I got lost trying to find their hotel. My sense of direction is so bad! Then to get to a party I needed to be at, they printed directions for me and instructed me how to get there!! Iwould very much recommend this hotel to any visitor to the island.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank robertaka
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We arrived in Maui late so decided on the Maui Seaside for 1 night as it is near the airport and a reasonable cost. It was a good choice for this but not as a longer holiday stay.
The taxi from airport was only about $10 and close, maybe 2 miles.
It is a kind of rambling property, low rise, with a pool but no real beach, set on a main drag with shopping centres closeby. Our room was a 1 bedroom with kitchen and AC, a small balcony, the bed was OK but not great and the decor a bit dated but OK.
The reception staff were great. Breakfast was included in their resto and it was a big Hawaiian style, good with very friendly service.

I would return to this hotel again in similar circumstances.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christo60
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed here the first night of our arrival on Maui and had a room close to the pool which was small and just a bit tired looking but clean, and then had to pay for parking on hotel grounds.. We then decided to come back a week later for 2 nights and ended up staying on the 3rd floor of the newer part of the hotel where the room was quiet an improvement on our first nights stay. Really enjoyed having a wholefoods shop so handy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple