“Bring a little or a lot of Maui home with you.”
Review of Mr. Pineapple

Mr. Pineapple
Ranked #4 of 12 Shopping in Kahului
More attraction details
Owner description: Our collections include the most cherished local gathering of fresh fruits, organic vegetables, and specialty goodies such as chocolates, assorted coffees & teas, as well as made on Maui novelty items such as assorted floral leis & coconut postcards... all made with the warmth and aloha of the Hawaiian Islands. We are agriculture certified which makes it easy to take on the plane or have our products shipped right to your door. Mr. Pineapple has the best prices, great customer service and is conveniently located on the way to the airport.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Always stop at Mr. Pineapple before you leave Maui. They have pineapples packed to travel. Every air traveler leaving Hawaii is entitled to have a box of pineapples baggage checked for free by the airlines. If you are taking Hawaiian to Honolulu to take another airline home they will fly it free also. They service many of the hotels and resorts and the prices are significantly cheaper here. At one resort, a pack ordered in the hotel was 2 for $23, at Mr. Pineapple it started at 3 for $19.95. We bought three 6 packs. The Maui Gold pineapples are sweeter and less acidic that the ones from Central America. Dole stopped growing for export from Hawaii to save transportation costs and also lowered the quality of the product available on the mainland which is really sad. They also ship a variety of fruit including coconuts and have fresh leis available.

It is located at the Shell station on Dairy Road a couple of blocks from the entrance to the airport and Costco. They have a truck parked in the lot and an office above the convenience story right next to the Shell station. The nice man helped us carry them down the stairs.

I do not know why anyone would want to have them shipped when you can have the airlines check them through for you. I read a review where someone had 12 shipped and was unhappy with the cost and the fact that some of them over ripened. At the the price of $100 he quoted they could not have been shipped overnight which is effectively what happens when you check them through. His bad experience seems due to not understanding the airlines policies of checking the boxes through to your destination without any fees.

1  Thank marcasch
in 10 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We worked with Mr. Pineapple to bring home pineapples from Maui and were pleasantly surprised by how easy the process was. The gentleman helping us was very nice, and he explained that United (and a few other airlines) would waive the checked baggage fee on pineapples packed by Mr. Pineapple. I was skeptical about this, and he said that if I had problems I could bring them back for a refund (they are very close to the airport). He was right, I had no problems checking them. The pineapples were of good quality when we got them home and cut into them.

1  Thank cornfedandclassy
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have a very mixed review of Mr. Pineapple. The location was difficult to find but not too bad once you know where it is located. We visited the store a couple days before our the end of our vacation and planned to have the pineapples shipped home. The gentleman working at the counter was very friendly and helpful. We were able to taste the pineapples before we purchased. We purchased a dozen to have shipped. Shipping was quite expensive and they explained that we could avoid shipping charges by carrying them on but we didn't want to carry a dozen pineapples on the plane. The total cost for the pineapples plus shipping was well over $100.00. We really didn't mind because of the convenience of having them shipped and the ability to have these wonderful fresh pineapples at home. We purchased several as gifts for others as well as wanting to have them for ourselves.

Everything went well.....the pineapples were delivered right on schedule. Packaging consisted of 2 boxes of 6 pineapples each taped together to make one large box (I have no idea how we would have carried these on a plane or where we would have put them). I opened the top box and the pineapples were wonderful. I passed several out as gifts that same day and cut one up for my parents and they were juicy and tasty just like the samples in the store. I then opened the second box (same day as they were delivered) and discovered that 2 of the 6 pineapples were oozing....newspaper packing was soaked through. They were very soft and smelled terrible. I cut one open and it was completely rotten. I cut several others in that box open and they were either partially rotten or totally unusable. I had to throw them away. I used what I could from the pineapples in the box (the unrotten parts) and was able to get maybe 2 1/2 pineapples out of the 6. The literature says that satisfaction is guaranteed so I emailed Mr. Pineapple with my complaint of rotten pineapples. I got no response whatsoever. I thought perhaps it was busy with the holidays arriving so I resent the email and never did get a response. Customer service was great when they were trying to sell me the pineapples but obviously not so good when there was a problem. At this point I figured...live and learn.

I would not return here or order any more pineapples from Mr. Pineapple. There are pineapples (Maui Golds....same as Mr. Pineapple sells) at the airport...that may be a better option...or if you do use Mr. Pineapple take them with you so you can check them out before they are delivered to your door.

5  Thank Melody B
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Yes, it's hard to find the store. It's really close to the airport and Costco, upstairs from a Shell station. But is was well worth the effort. The staff were friendly and helpful. The staff confirmed that Alaska Airlines did indeed waive the baggage charge, even though we couldn't confirm this via their website or phone. Mr. Pineapple promised our baggage charge would be refunded if we had any issues. So we ordered 6 pineapples and 2 coconuts. The box was packed and ready for us when we stopped by at 8am on our departure date. The box quickly passed through the agricultural screening. Alaska reps told us not to print a baggage receipt, and took the box without hesitation. We confirmed the price was cheaper than available at the airport, and the box arrived in great condition at our arrival airport. Results: The pineapple tastes as good as I expected, and the coconut is the freshest I have ever tasted.

2  Thank Maureen P