Review Highlights
Great trip, great lessons

Aloha Karen, Sitting here at the airport heading back to the mainland. This was my second time... read more

Reviewed July 30, 2018
ajpaulsen5
Olympia, Washington
via mobile
Outstanding experience at Acqua Sport Maui kiteboarding

I called Karen (the boss) after being disappointed with hiring a free lance instructor who sort... read more

Reviewed July 27, 2018
Mach78
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews kite beach kiteboarding lessons taking lessons learning curve feel confident these guys karen instructor surf paulsen progression company mainland vacation
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I took several lessons with Aqua Sports. This company was fine but you will probably do fine with any of the three main schools that meet on the beach. Regardless of which school you go with, the important thing is to get an instructor that meets your needs.
There are two instructors that I worked with that were excellent. Both Dennis and Mark were patient, knowledgeable, and really wanted to see me succeed. They both communicated very well, describing what I needed to do in perfect detail. Not so much detail to overwhelm you but, great suggestions to move you to the next level. I understand Dianna is quite good as well but I did not take a lesson from her. I thought their equipment was very good as well. You can't go wrong with Dennis or Mark!!

1  Thank PjChicag0
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Having read up on a number of the different kiteboarding outfits on Maui before my trip, I decided to go with Aquasports due to their great pricing and responsiveness to my initial requests--email requests to some of the other outfitters were not returned. When I showed up for the first of my 3-day lessons in late February, the conditions were a bit difficult as a large amount of mud had accumulated in the shores of the southern part of Kite Beach and there was a pretty big crowd on the Northern side. Nevertheless, Corey did a great job with the lesson and finding a way to get me out on the water while keeping me at a safe distance from the numerous other kiteboarders entering/exiting the beach. Great value and had me up on the board by the end of the third day - highly recommended!

2  Thank Paul K
Reviewed March 29, 2013

kiteboarding maui was a grrrreat experience. set up, instructor, equipment worked well. i did the intro class followed by a three day class. always felt like i was learning something though i had expected to progress faster. the instructor corey was good. i was the limiting factor to progress. but it did happen and things started to click. corey was good at setting me up and taking me to the next level, though he did make it look way too easy! looking back i, i would have liked to have a radio helmet.. i will ask for one next time. i could not always hear instructions well.

Date of experience: February 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was really excited to kitesurf on Maui, so much so, I took my intro lessons on Oahu just to prep for my lessons on Maui. My Aqua Sports lesson went poorly, partly my fault and partly the fault of my instructor and the equipment.

My faults:
- I am out of shape, I have a belly, this is not good for kiteboarding
- I dressed too warmly - was wearing a spring wet suit, and that might have overheated me
- I agreed to follow the instructor's suggestions without questioning him

Aqua's faults:
- The hike up the beach, with gear, against the wind, took me about 30 minutes and already wearing my wetsuit, I was overheated and winded by the time we got the spot the instructor wanted to get to. We had the option to stay at the location by the parking lot but the instructor suggested we hike up and I went along with it - in hindsight, not a good suggestion.
- I already knew how to fly the kite, I needed board work, and the instructor did not want to go into the water with me (but did go in to kite back down the beach to drop off the equipment). My lessons on Oahu, the instructor got into the water with me to actually show me how it was done. By not getting in the water - we are taking the lesson on land but applying in the water? Having experienced the lessons on Oahu, this did not compare.
- The board and kite might not have been well matched to my ample build. Also - again on Oahu, the board had a floating attachment which caused it to sit correctly to get your feet inside the straps. Aqua didn't have these on their boards.

Karen was nice when I spoke with her and my instructor seemed knowledgeable about kiting and safety so do not misunderstand my poor rating. However, having *fun* means getting up on the board. There are so many ways instructors can help with that key point but none was offered as I was struggling.

2  Thank Jay F
karenkites, Manager at Aqua Sports Maui, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

At Aqua Sports we offer a 100% money back guarantee. We have refunded Jay his money and offered him a free lesson on his return, with our apologies. We try hard to give the best lessons possible and can't wait to stoke him out next time!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Karen with AquaSports did a great job in setting up my lessons with Denis. Denis was an outstanding (and very patient!) instructor. It's a great activity and these guys know their trade! I would definitely recommend this school!

Date of experience: October 2012