Review Highlights
Great trip, great lessons

Aloha Karen, Sitting here at the airport heading back to the mainland. This was my second time... read more

Reviewed July 30, 2018
ajpaulsen5
Olympia, Washington
via mobile
Outstanding experience at Acqua Sport Maui kiteboarding

I called Karen (the boss) after being disappointed with hiring a free lance instructor who sort... read more

Reviewed July 27, 2018
Mach78
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews kite beach kiteboarding lessons taking lessons learning curve feel confident these guys karen instructor surf paulsen progression company mainland vacation
Reviewed March 29, 2013

kiteboarding maui was a grrrreat experience. set up, instructor, equipment worked well. i did the intro class followed by a three day class. always felt like i was learning something though i had expected to progress faster. the instructor corey was good. i was the limiting factor to progress. but it did happen and things started to click. corey was good at setting me up and taking me to the next level, though he did make it look way too easy! looking back i, i would have liked to have a radio helmet.. i will ask for one next time. i could not always hear instructions well.

Date of experience: February 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was really excited to kitesurf on Maui, so much so, I took my intro lessons on Oahu just to prep for my lessons on Maui. My Aqua Sports lesson went poorly, partly my fault and partly the fault of my instructor and the equipment.

My faults:
- I am out of shape, I have a belly, this is not good for kiteboarding
- I dressed too warmly - was wearing a spring wet suit, and that might have overheated me
- I agreed to follow the instructor's suggestions without questioning him

Aqua's faults:
- The hike up the beach, with gear, against the wind, took me about 30 minutes and already wearing my wetsuit, I was overheated and winded by the time we got the spot the instructor wanted to get to. We had the option to stay at the location by the parking lot but the instructor suggested we hike up and I went along with it - in hindsight, not a good suggestion.
- I already knew how to fly the kite, I needed board work, and the instructor did not want to go into the water with me (but did go in to kite back down the beach to drop off the equipment). My lessons on Oahu, the instructor got into the water with me to actually show me how it was done. By not getting in the water - we are taking the lesson on land but applying in the water? Having experienced the lessons on Oahu, this did not compare.
- The board and kite might not have been well matched to my ample build. Also - again on Oahu, the board had a floating attachment which caused it to sit correctly to get your feet inside the straps. Aqua didn't have these on their boards.

Karen was nice when I spoke with her and my instructor seemed knowledgeable about kiting and safety so do not misunderstand my poor rating. However, having *fun* means getting up on the board. There are so many ways instructors can help with that key point but none was offered as I was struggling.

Date of experience: February 2013
2  Thank Jay F
karenkites, Manager at Aqua Sports Maui, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

At Aqua Sports we offer a 100% money back guarantee. We have refunded Jay his money and offered him a free lesson on his return, with our apologies. We try hard to give the best lessons possible and can't wait to stoke him out next time!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Karen with AquaSports did a great job in setting up my lessons with Denis. Denis was an outstanding (and very patient!) instructor. It's a great activity and these guys know their trade! I would definitely recommend this school!

Date of experience: October 2012
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had read about kiteboarding for years and always dreamed of doing it. This time in Maui I finally decided that it was time to jump in and learn - and this will be one of the best moments of the trip!

Diana was my instructor, and as part of the Beginner 1-on-1 package, I had specific training that took into account that I had wakeboarded before, and had flown cheap little stunt kites a few times. Diana was a perfect instructor - clear and very informative, as well as truly loving what she does. I had read some other reviews of other kite schools and some have some sketchy ratings due to a few cranky instructors. Definitely not the case here!

We started out with kite basics, did some dry land flying (with some beached whale butt drags across the beach!), then progressed to body dragging in the water, body dragging with a board, board recovery, and finally strapping on the board and getting the feel for the combination.

Diana is full of knowledge and is a very logical and sequenced person. Every step is fun, but is also safe, and she checks to make sure you are comfortable with each step before progressing to the next. As someone who has been on the kiting scene in Maui for over ten years, she is comfortable with the locals, and I never felt like we were intruding on anyone else or doing anything that would upset any of the more experienced boarders.

The views here are mainly of a postcard beach, with "Pro Beach" in one area (I recognized this from magazines), and there was in fact a pro there lit up and throwing tricks about 20' up with a camera man in the water. There were also some shadows in the water and concrete structures sticking up - all wartime bunkers. Very neat to see both the wartime history and the pros in action.

The Aquasports van is very well organized, I only wish I could have a van like that stocked with kite gear :)

Overall, the lesson I received was stellar, and I'd highly recommend taking lessons from Diana - you'll be in great hands!!

Tim

4  Thank Tim-YVR
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The atmosphere at that beach is very friendly, for the most part even between the different kiteboarding schools. I just had a great experience. My instructor Diana found the right pace for me. I had a lot of fun and made a big step forward with my kite boarding skills. Go for it!

Date of experience: August 2012