Review Highlights
Great trip, great lessons

Aloha Karen, Sitting here at the airport heading back to the mainland. This was my second time... read more

Reviewed July 30, 2018
ajpaulsen5
Olympia, Washington
via mobile
Outstanding experience at Acqua Sport Maui kiteboarding

I called Karen (the boss) after being disappointed with hiring a free lance instructor who sort... read more

Reviewed July 27, 2018
Mach78
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews kite beach kiteboarding lessons taking lessons learning curve feel confident these guys karen instructor surf paulsen progression company mainland vacation
Reviewed January 16, 2012

There are three kite-boarding schools that operate out of vans in the western parking lot at Kanaha beach and they all seem to be very similar. It makes for a friendly vibe and a great way to get an introduction to the sport. There are lots of students on the beach and your big red helmet is a clear signal to others to give you space on the water.

I booked a three-day package with Aquasports and I was really impressed with the instruction I got. My instructor Diane knew exactly what I need to learn to get up and riding my board and maximizing my time. I did have another lesson with another instructor that did not progress so fast, but this is always the case when you are taking any sort of lessons. So much of it depends on the skill of the individual instructor.

The gear was all in great shape considering what a pounding it takes, and even when I busted two kites in the surf, it was not an issue. They were also flexible on the price of the package when I cut one lesson short by an hour, and it was no problem changing my dates at the last minute.

I'd never kiteboarded before, but by the third lesson I felt like I had the basics of riding and kite control. Having experience surfing, windsurfing, power-kiting and snowboarding all helped me a lot. That said, I did spend couple hours on each of the days washing around in the surf trying to get the hand of the sport. But once you manage to get up and riding it is well worth the effort. I'm hooked!

Price wise I think Aquasports is a good deal, or even a great deal. I think it worked out to about $60 per hour for my eight hour package, including equipment. Lessons back home in Vancouver are nearly twice the price I believe.

I'd recommend this school to anyone who wants to try out this sport.

Date of experience: December 2011
8  Thank Mike025
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Can't agree with the negative reviewer above...four of us signed up for lessons and had a great time. The two of us that we're really keen stuck with it and we're getting up on day 2. Karen and the instructors are very safety conscious and very supportive. I can't wait to get back out on the water...or snow...soon.

4  Thank Vangruvie
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I went from knowing nothing about kiteboarding to becoming an IKO certified Kiteboarder in just 4 days! This was all thanks to the fantastic instructors that coached me each step of the way.... from Diana showing me the ropes and getting me to stand up... to Tim showing me how to jump waves and fly 20 feet in the air. There's no better place to learn to basics or fine tune your expert skills.

As for the negative review... Kiteboarding can be frustrating to learn, you just have to have patience with yourself and you can't take it out on the instructors. It's a challenging sport and these instructors do their absolute best to help each student have a wonderful experience.

Date of experience: November 2011
3  Thank Mikebchiro
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Originally went to Aqua to get introduction to kiteboarding (safely) with a vacationing buddy. Top notch experience. Safety is top priority. I live here and since have used Aqua exclusively. Great instructors (have worked with six), very personable and experienced. Very accommodating of my challenging schedule (doctor). Super fun sport. Gotta try it. Did I mention they are all about your safety?! If you want to try kiteboarding call Aqua.

Date of experience: November 2011
2  Thank Bryan S
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Not quite sure what the negative reviewer is talking about, I found the instruction to be top notch. I am a nationally certified coach in other sports, so I know good coaching when I see it. Kiteboarding is a very complex endeavour, especially if you are a beginner coming at it from scratch, like I was. You have a lot to learn, including gear, wind theory, kite control, safety & self rescue, body position for wakeboarding, launching technique, and hopefully control while riding & turns. I took the 3 day x 3 hr lesson package. After Day 1, I got the concept, but had no control, and was very frustrated. Karen talked me through this, adjusted my gear (and my attitude). By Day 2, I was popping up out of the water fairly reliably. By Day 3, I was kiteboarding, and in love with the sport. I'd attribute this quick success directly to the instruction I received from Karen at Aquasports. By contrast, since my Maui vacation, I've taken some really lousy lessons in Texas City. The conditions are a whole lot tamer than they are in Maui, but with a lower calibre instructor, I didn't do nearly as well as I did with Karen in the surf & chop of Kite Beach. If you want to learn to kiteboard, Aquasports is a fine school. Just be prepared to invest the time & money. There are so many things to learn, it is likely to take you at least 3 solid lessons before you are even at the most basic level of the sport, but it is well worth the effort and investment.

Date of experience: July 2011