Review Highlights
Great trip, great lessons

Aloha Karen, Sitting here at the airport heading back to the mainland. This was my second time... read more

Reviewed July 30, 2018
ajpaulsen5
Olympia, Washington
via mobile
Outstanding experience at Acqua Sport Maui kiteboarding

I called Karen (the boss) after being disappointed with hiring a free lance instructor who sort... read more

Reviewed July 27, 2018
Mach78
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews kite beach kiteboarding lessons taking lessons learning curve feel confident these guys karen instructor surf paulsen progression company mainland vacation
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I went from knowing nothing about kiteboarding to becoming an IKO certified Kiteboarder in just 4 days! This was all thanks to the fantastic instructors that coached me each step of the way.... from Diana showing me the ropes and getting me to stand up... to Tim showing me how to jump waves and fly 20 feet in the air. There's no better place to learn to basics or fine tune your expert skills.

As for the negative review... Kiteboarding can be frustrating to learn, you just have to have patience with yourself and you can't take it out on the instructors. It's a challenging sport and these instructors do their absolute best to help each student have a wonderful experience.

Date of experience: November 2011
3  Thank Mikebchiro
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Originally went to Aqua to get introduction to kiteboarding (safely) with a vacationing buddy. Top notch experience. Safety is top priority. I live here and since have used Aqua exclusively. Great instructors (have worked with six), very personable and experienced. Very accommodating of my challenging schedule (doctor). Super fun sport. Gotta try it. Did I mention they are all about your safety?! If you want to try kiteboarding call Aqua.

Date of experience: November 2011
2  Thank Bryan S
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Not quite sure what the negative reviewer is talking about, I found the instruction to be top notch. I am a nationally certified coach in other sports, so I know good coaching when I see it. Kiteboarding is a very complex endeavour, especially if you are a beginner coming at it from scratch, like I was. You have a lot to learn, including gear, wind theory, kite control, safety & self rescue, body position for wakeboarding, launching technique, and hopefully control while riding & turns. I took the 3 day x 3 hr lesson package. After Day 1, I got the concept, but had no control, and was very frustrated. Karen talked me through this, adjusted my gear (and my attitude). By Day 2, I was popping up out of the water fairly reliably. By Day 3, I was kiteboarding, and in love with the sport. I'd attribute this quick success directly to the instruction I received from Karen at Aquasports. By contrast, since my Maui vacation, I've taken some really lousy lessons in Texas City. The conditions are a whole lot tamer than they are in Maui, but with a lower calibre instructor, I didn't do nearly as well as I did with Karen in the surf & chop of Kite Beach. If you want to learn to kiteboard, Aquasports is a fine school. Just be prepared to invest the time & money. There are so many things to learn, it is likely to take you at least 3 solid lessons before you are even at the most basic level of the sport, but it is well worth the effort and investment.

Date of experience: July 2011
4  Thank rosconaut
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have been to Maui several times and have taken about 7 hours of kiteboarding lessons with Aquasports with a couple different instructors. I was able to get up and riding faster than other people I saw and know and unlike some of the other companies they will not put you out there if the conditions are not good. My girlfriend also took lessons this time with aquasports and she loved it! Their instructors are great, equipment is new, and prices can't be beat. I would definitely recommend Aquasports Maui to anyone interested in learning to kiteboard.

1  Thank Silasmith
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I am a returning kiteboarding student since 2008 and have used Maui Aquasports each year I've returned to Maui to work on my kiteboarding. I've paired up with several of Maui Aquasports' instructors over the years and have found them all professional and truly interested in furthering my progress in the sport. Make no mistake. Learning how to kiteboard well takes time and dedication - there is a lot going on there. Aquasports' instructors advice and direction have been instrumental in me understanding and making good choices about how to continue my kiting progress as well as making good choices in equipping myself. Thank you Rudy, Karen, Diana, Patri, Stamati, Alessio, Garret, Aaron, and Mike for taking the time to make me feel welcome. You guys rock!

Date of experience: June 2011