“Road to Hana”
Review of Mahalo Tours

Mahalo Tours
Ranked #9 of 40 Tours in Kahului
More attraction details
Owner description: Break away from the crowds and experience the famous road to Hana, a gorgeous, winding coastal road with breathtaking valleys, lush rain forests and spectacular waterfalls aboard our luxurious Mercedes Benz Sprinter and Ford Transit buses, which features a small group, with a maximum of eight lucky participants. You will enjoy an unhurried Hawaiian adventure guided by an authentic Hawaiian host, who is also an entertainer, and who can't wait to show you the beauty and warmth of the Hawaiian hospitality and give you some laughs while at it!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 2, 2018

I went with this company to try something different. I had previously gone with a competitor on several other Hana trips. Lenny was our tour guide and did an excellent job. Very knowledgeable and personable. The van was not comfortable much smaller than anticipated and much smaller than their competitor. They provided snacks but no breakfast and I think I would have preferred a breakfast. The lunch was awful. Three of us had the barbecue which was mostly fat and caused two of us to spend extra time in the bathroom. The sites were great and we saw things not provided by their competitor. That, and Lenny gave this review the 4 stars.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"full circle"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

Did the road to Hana trip yesterday. Was feeling nervous as it had 600 bends and many single lane bridges but Rodney, our guide changed all that. His driving expertise and his knowledge of the roads made me feel relaxed. His passion for our rainforest surroundings was infectious. Loved his chat, sense of humour and the way he played great music to suit the areas we were in was fabulous. I see the theme tune from Jurassic Park in a whole new light! Thank you Rodney for making it such a special trip.

Reviewed September 28, 2018

Aloha,

This was our first time in Maui. We knew we wanted to do the ENTIRE Road to Hana. After doing an enormous amount of research on reviews and discussion, my husband and I decided to book a complete Road to Hana Tour with Mahalo Tours. We are so glad we did!! My husband was able to experience the sights without having to worry about driving and navigation.

The tour is a full 12-hours but you will love every minute of it. Our driver Lennie, arrived right on time to pick us up in Lahaina. We had a total of 6 people on our bus. We ALL had good views from both sides; Lennie brought some delicious breakfast breads and fruit for breakfast.

This road can be nerve-wracking in places and is not for the faint of heart. It is A LOT of twists and turns with one lane bridges and curves. Had we driven ourselves, we would have missed so many wonderful places by not knowing where to park or stop. Beware -- if you have a rental car, your contract probably states the backside of the island visit is not allowed. Lennie made sure we saw it all and gave us the history and highlights of each section and site on the island. We saw turtles, ate fresh fruit from neighborhood sharing tables and swam at the Black Sand Beach.

For lunch we stopped at Brudda's Hut. This local lunch place may not look like much from the outside but the food was amazing! DH and I both had the ribs and they were delicious. The ribs came with a delicious mac salad, rice and slaw. Breakfast, lunch and snacks are included in your tour prices. All you bring is a towel and sunscreen!

We highly recommend Mahalo Tours and Lennie! You will not be sorry and I promise it is worth the money for the memories you'll make!! THANKS MAHALO!!

1  Thank MemphisTigerMom
Reviewed September 25, 2018

We originally thought of driving to Hana but after spending the day with Jamie we were happy we were in her capable hands. She is a wonderful driver and can handle those winding roads around the island. She is a wealth of knowledge about the island and we enjoyed every story she told us. The ride was amazing and the sites beyond description. A wonderful day spent on the Road to Hana and the food truck lunch utterly amazing. Thanks Jamie and Mahalo tours.

1  Thank L0vet0cruise
See more reviews
Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

We originally picked Mahalo tours because they took small groups, and I was worried about car sickness. But after being on the road for 10 hours - there are so many other reasons to pick Mahalo tours. Jamie was fantastic, so much enthusiasm and took us to lots of cool spots we would have never found driving alone.... we also saw some larger buses driving which I’m sure did great but heard they had a brown paper bag lunch- Jamie took us to an amazing food truck stop for a plate lunch and gave some us some history of the place. I never one time felt car sick ! And was entertained the entire day !

2  Thank Eburgk