“Always a FUN Happy Hour!”
Review of Bistro Casanova

Bistro Casanova
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Casanova is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 150 Restaurants in Kahului
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kaahumanu Avenue
Transit: Maui Bus stop on the back of the building.
Description: Bistro Casanova is located at the ground floor of the Kahului office building, a four stories property across the street from Kahului beach, just one mile from Kahului airport. Your GPS device will probably lead you to the large parking space behind the building. You can gain entrance to the Restaurant both from Kaahumanu Avenue, where a large awning with the sign Bistro Casanova will guide you from the parking stalls to the front door, and from Lono Avenue, where a large sign shows the entrance from its main address: 33 Lono Avenue. In both cases, you'll have no problem in finding parking, day or night time. See you inside, where you'll be able to choose a table in the air conditioned dining rooms or "al fresco", in the lanai. Bistro Casanova awards winning cuisine is often recognized as the best option for a memorable meal in busy Kahului, before or after a trip to the airport or a show in nearby theaters and movies houses. Since 2009 Bistro Casanova is a very popular destination because of its tapas, pastas, steaks and fresh seafood. Discover why.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We often stop at Bistro Casanova on our way home from work to enjoy the great Happy Hour they offer and the delicious Seared Ahi appetizer! Beyond the great host Peter and the lovely ladies who tend the bar, the guests are fun and we always leave making new friends. Bistro Casanova is a great place to stop before a flight and of course a great meal. By the way, the upcountry Bistro Casanova is a wonderful restaurant too!

2  Thank Elyse B

Reviewed February 24, 2013

In order to hold up my end of a deal, I promised to write this review in rhyme, so here we go:

Cas'nova in 'Lui has waitstaff so nice...
for food or your drinks, well you need not ask twice.

The food has its equal upcountry, indeed
"...but where, the focaccia?" I then had to plead.

"The bread at your sister joint, oh, is so fine
But when I come down here, 'tis missing" I whine.

But see now, Pietro, he hears all these things
and some moments later, focaccia he brings.

Our "custom" focaccia, with acids amino
as good as from ovens of Italy's Torino (OK, look. Torino was not easy to rhyme with, so go ahead and sweat me for my use of "acids amino")...

So, yes all in all, 'cacc' did come on request,
a staff so involved to reward our behest.

Grissini? Well that one, need nothing change there.
Good breadsticks, indeedy, their taste, no compare.

Some things that could change? Well, the music I guess...
Hawaiian or 'Talian: the mood would impress.

The music this night: too John Tesh-y for we
We'd rather more lively or native, you see.

But like this here joint, yes my friend, all we do,
so come to Kahului and dine here: you, too!

OK, so the real skinny is this: the staff and food here are solid but they really need to get the same bread that they have at the Makawao location. The bread up there is the kind of thing you tell of people about... "man, the bread at this place in Maui..." It may sound silly but the type of bread in the bread basket can really stand out in people's minds. Many friends will say, "oh let's go to ______, they have that awesome bread." Who doesn't love some soft, warm yummy bread?

So the bottom line to the Kahului location is: Get THE SAME focaccia as the Upcountry Casanova; no need to serve any other kind of bread. Truly. Also, we really thought the ambiance could be even better with either some native music or some quality jazz. The adult easy listening muzak was not a major factor in the evening but we spent a lot of time laughing at it and Shazamming songs on our phones to find out if that particular track was a re-make of a "Titanic" song.

The maitre 'd was great ( not sure of his name) and our server, Pietro went way above and beyond the call of duty to satisfy our moaning about the focaccia and kept us entertained and impressed.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Service was a bit slow and poor on the night we had dinner there; more likely they were short staffed. Our food was great but again service was poor. I ordered a NY steak and was charged for a Ribeye. No bread and no refills on drinks. We were seated outside and not a great place to sit on a windy day.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Considering we made advance reservations for Valentine's Day, my husband and I were disappointed to be seated at a half-dressed table in the back by a mysterious, ugly curtain. (This after being bypassed by others who did not have reservations.) Our waiter was nice enough but not very helpful. He also started the meal by saying, "I have other things I need to do but wanted to see if you were okay..." Go for the food and keep your service expectations low.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

duck a l'orange delicious, excellent espresso. exquisite paella, well balanced onion soup. the soup came with stale crostini. and i had to order at additional cost some bread service. the only things that impacted my experience negatively were the fact that they do not provide complimentary bread service for dinner entrees or soup and that our server was the least of engaging.