“Discover the world of wind and water”
Review of Action Sports Maui

$85.00*
Semi-Private Surf Lessons on Maui South Shore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Action Sports Maui is a full service kite, surf, windsurf and SUP lesson, rental and retail center. We have beach side rental locations on the North and South Shore of Maui. Please visit our friendly staff for assistance with lessons of any level as well as rental and retail equipment!
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Action Sport group were great to work with. I had never kite boarded before and David made sure that the experience was one to definitely worth writing about. He walked through all the fundamentals of how to control and rig the equipment. Safety was always paramount throughout every step. Only regret was that I had more time on my vacation to take more lessons. Looking into taking more lessons locally now based on the passion that he brought to the sport.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I took up kiteboarding last February (2013) and have been learning and practicing ever since. Having said that, we wanted more lessons and also to be guided on where to kite in Maui; David and Suzie (owners of Action) were awesome. Suzie booked us in and we met David and the crew down at Kite Beach (at that time Is, Galen, Lex, Vlad, and Laurens). They ensured we thoroughly went over safety and also what level of kiting we were at. Is and Galen were our instructors for the 3 days and they were great. The kites were good quality, lines were good, boards and bindings were good; we used their impact vests (we brought our own helmets and harnesses). We were pretty lucky we had good wind too! As a side benefit we got a kiting reference book and also for the first time we got a rating card (IKO) to tell exactly what level we are at for next time. Just a note, we did rent paddleboards at the Kihei location too – so full service). Overall, a great experience for us – the kiteboarding instruction was as good or exceeded previous experiences.

1  Thank Robert F
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Decided to try Kiting in the perfect conditions. Suzie was very helpful in sorting out my outdoor skills and my instructor Ray was top notch. Ray was great at teaching me about the gear and how the wind works. He taught by example and let me take over the more he saw my competence. It was a good pace and i feel like I got a good understanding of the wind and methods as well as safety. I thought the price was more than reasonable considering the extra time they spent with me and the quality of equipment used. I'm definitely hooked and will be taking up kiting as soon as I return to Cali. Thanks to Dave, Suzie and Ray at Action Sports Maui for making it a great day and a really fun experience. Mahalo
Russ

1  Thank russneault
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I called in last moment but they were able to get me a spot for a private surf lesson. The instructor (forgot her name) was cute and funny! She taught me all the fundamentals and I was able to catch my first two waves while in the lesson. They then let me keep the board for the rest of the day. The only complaint is that they close at 2:30 in that season (November) to the full day board rental with the lesson doesn't really mean full day. I only got one hour to keep the board. but that's fine because I was getting hungry anyway. I got the 1:30 hour private lesson and 2 hour rental after the lesson for $75 and they took me to a spot where there were no other surfers so I had all the waves to myself. There were other surfers just around 500 feet away. So I just went and surfed along with them after the lesson and caught 3 more waves. Surfing is one of the most fun activities, its even more fun than it looks. even falling while surfing is fun (not so with snow boarding or skate boarding), especially when the water is warm like in Hawaii. Mahalo!

2  Thank Apoorv B
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The Kanaha Beach Park is a perfect spot to learn windsurfing. There is a small bay where the wind is not to strong in the morning and it's shallow, so the teacher can stand in the water to give directions. Around noon the wind gets stronger and it's time for the more skilled to get on their boards.
Our kids had a great time with their windsurfing teacher Martin Verrastro. The first time our daughter (14) had a windsurfing lesson in a small group of four kids. She wasn't a total beginner and could practice. The second time our son (10) had a private lesson ( his first) and our daughter could rent a board at the same time. Martin was a great teacher and was very patient. First he explained the technic on land and then coached him on the water. He really got the basics and is ready for more!!!!!
Give Action Sports Maui a call and they will be glad to arrange a lesson for you. The service is very friendly!!!

2  Thank Claudia S