“Excellent customer service” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Semi-Private Surf Lessons on Maui South Shore
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Action Sports Maui is a full service kite, surf, windsurf and SUP lesson, rental and retail center. We have beach side rental locations on the North and South Shore of Maui. Please visit our friendly staff for assistance with lessons of any level as well as rental and retail equipment!
Kihei, Hawaii
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I had great experience at this place. The customer service of their staff, Peter was outstanding. I am not very experienced at wind surfing and this was my first time after many years to try wind surfing again. Peter was great at explaining where and how to surf. I highly recommend him as a trainer. The place is close to the beach and I had wonderful time.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank JeFoMax

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I took a 3.5 hour kiteboarding lesson on a day where the winds had been dead for 3 days prior and were kinda inconsistent, and my instructor Martin still taught me solid safety, and control and handling of the kite and board, and I even got to try out the board in the end (but the wind died down at that time and I didn't get to launch) which was great because apparently not everyone gets to the point of actually trying it out on their own. I personally had a 5 out of 5 experience, but I only give it 4 out of 5 because my husband simultaneously took a lesson and had a bad experience, with an instructor that didn't explain things well, and even gave him the wrong lesson (2.5 hour instead of the 3.5 hour we signed up for). So I advise you to definitely go with Action Sports Maui and try kiteboarding, but maybe verify which lesson you have with them before starting, and maybe request Martin ;) he knows his stuff. FYI, it is harder than it looks to get the kite handling down.

Visited November 2012
8 Thank Michelle J
Vienna, Austria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best place to learn to kiteboard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I just came back from my trip to Maui and finally got to try Kiteboarding. What a great experience. It's the most thrilling and exciting sport you can imagine and definitely mind blowing. I decided to take my lessons with Action Sports Maui, being Hawaii's original kiteboarding center and having years of experience with the sport and teaching it. I can only highly recommend Action Sports Maui, definitely the best place to learn. I was also impressed by their homepage with tons of information covering any aspect of kiteboarding, windsurfing and surfing you would want to learn about or have questions so you can already get a lot of information before you even have your first lesson. Learning a new sport is daunting enough, so for me it's always very important to have the feeling the team cares and safety and teaching skills are of high standards and that's definitely the case with Action Sports. I didn't have a lot of time available and the wind was a bit unpredictable but Suzie Dorn (owner) was very flexible when scheduling my lessons and really helped me to fit in as many hours as possible before I leave to get me out in the water with the kite and I was thrilled to start learning to kiteboard. I had two instructors due to my short-term planning and both were extremely knowledgeable and excellent teachers conveying the joy they have teaching and the passion for the sport. After only 3 days I'm hooked to kiteboarding and found a new passion and I am very thankful to Suzie, Tim and Martin for making my introduction to kiteboarding such a rewarding and thrilling experience. Can't wait to come back to Maui and continue learning kiteboarding with Action Sports. The statement on their homepage "When you come to Action Sports we treat you like family. We take care of the details so you can relax and enjoy the experience." is definitely what they do.

Visited November 2012
6 Thank sandy_sunshine_beach
MauiNui, Owner at Action Sports Maui, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Aloha!
Thank you for the great review! We are so happy we were able to organize a few kite lessons for you during the light wind period. I know you are hooked on kiteboarding because I just received your e-mail stating you are coming to Maui for 3 months to become a proficient kiteboarder! I am looking into accommodations for you and we are looking forward to seeing you again this summer (and it will be windy everyday).
The best part of our job is making friends from all over the world and being able to share our love for the island as well getting people like yourself hooked on kiteboarding!
Aloha and see you soon!
Suzie and David Dorn and the Action Sports Maui team
Richlands, North Carolina, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“YOU, yes you, can learn to surf in Maui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am not really all that athletic, but I was able to be successful in surfing and SUPing b/c of this Action Sports Maui. I was with a group learning to surf and SUP with Action Sports Maui. They really took time to give all the basics about surfing and learning to listen to the ocean, safety, etc. The instructors were just amazing. They had smiles, encouragement, and specific tips at each and every outing. I can't say enough good things about this group. If you have ever wanted to try surfing these are your guys and gals!

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Veronica M
Phoenix, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Harder than it looks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

We signed up for the beginners wind surfing coarse and it was a lot of fun! At first I thought we were in for a disaster of an outing as I had never gotten an email confirmation from them after booking it online several months in advance, then when calling them a couple of days before the scheduled outing to confirm our reservation we were told they would call us back to confirm after they looked us up...we ended up having to call them back and they finally confirmed our date and time.

However, after all of that and we arrived at the beach that is where the fun began and I would recommend them to anyone. Our instructor, Ben, did a fantastic job on making sure we knew what to do while out on the open water. There is a lot more to this sport than I had ever imagined and now have a much greater appreciation out there. Ben had us right where we should be/needed to be for such a short lesson (only 2.5 hours). Ben was very patient with us even though we kept falling off the boards! :-) If only we would have had the time to sign up for the 3 day coarse I'm confident Ben would have had us out here right next to the pros...okay maybe not that good but we'd be doing really well!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Adam S
, Owner at Action Sports Maui, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Aloha Adam,
Thanks again for the feedback. We are happy you had such a great windsurfing lesson. Please be sure to contact us on your next Maui visit and we are looking forward to getting you both back out on the water.
Mahalo,