“Beautiful cottage - best part of my vacation in Maui”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
The Guest Houses at Malanai in Hana
Ranked #1 of 9 Hana B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2009

The 2-night stay at Hale Ulu Lulu (one of the 2 guest houses on the property) was the best part of my vacation Maui.

It's rare to come across any hotel/property with 100% 5-star reviews. I'm so glad I chose to stay at the Guest House after reading the raving reviews. Leokane and Chris had been great hosts from the time of reservation till the end of our stay.

The one-room cottage (Hale Ulu Lulu) was impeccable and spotless when we arrived. The hosts' taste was obvious in the decor and and attention to detail in the completeness and availability of household/kitchen supplies.

The location is also perfect! It's only a few miles south of town (Hana). We definitely felt like we were away from it all yet close enough to the few dinning choices in town.

The climate in Hana in June couldn't have been better! It's warm but never oppresively hot. It's wet only over night or briefly during the day. The rain showers were very refreshing that made the air cool and a tad humid. A/C's certainly not required. I had the best nights of sleep in Hana with just the ceiling fan.

Overall, the cottage is beautiful and comfortable. The ocean view and huge lawn in front just add to the ambience. When (not if) I return next time, I'd try to do less and enjoy the place more... the quietness, ocean, rain, sunrise and starry night... which is what a small Hawaiian town like Hana should be about.

• Stayed: June 2009
5  Thank QP

Reviewed July 5, 2009

This is the first review I've ever written, but I was so pleased with the Guest Houses at Malanai that I just HAD to let others know about it! We spent the last four nites of our Maui anniversary vacation at Hale Ulu Lulu. What a sanctuary! From the moment we arrived, we felt like this sweeet guest house was OUR home away from home. Chris and Leaokane definitely know how to make their guests feel welcomed. We explored the entire Hana area, and Chris was extremely helpful in directing us to some lesser-known places of natural beauty. Natural beauty is what Hana is all about. Its people and its environment are something you absolutely must experience if you visit Maui. Don't just "do" the road to Hana; STAY at one of the Malanai Guest Houses. You'll be so glad you did!

2  Thank Beeknlobs
Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed at the 1 bed room in Hana for 5 Nights. The first thing to say is that the hosts are great, Chris called us each day to know how was everything. The cottage is beautiful and cozy. We had the first day some issue with some insects but this is normal in Hana, near tropical forests. The nearest beach is Hamoa beach, 5 min by car. Before to decide for Hana for your destination be aware that in Hana there are only 2 restaurant, 1 very good and expensive, the other with only few sandwiches. There are 2 general stores. The place doesn't provide breakfast so the Trip advisor classification should be change. I recommend this place and the location for people that are looking for relax and tranquillity in a very remote area of Maui. Again the hosts are a plus for the final decision. Ideal for couples.

2  Thank GiulioSerena
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We rented the two-bedroom house from Chris and Leokane and were very pleased. The kitchen had everything one would want for cooking; there were all sorts of beach gear available for use; the house was clean and just a 3-minute drive to beautiful Hamoa beach. The property was set back from the road, so it was quiet with the windows open. Everything promised was delivered...even the Hawaiian music CD playing upon walk-in! Definitely a great place for two couples or a family with one or two older children.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2009

As soon as we saw the website, we knew that this was THE place to stay in Hana. The house, as I said in the title, is absolutely beautiful. It was so much fun to wake up for the sunrise, go back to sleep, wake up late, sip coffee on the front porch, make big breakfasts, go out for an adventure, come back and take a nap, wake up for cocktail hour, take a bubble bath, etc.....It was just what we needed. The Guest Houses at Malanai is the perfect place to rest up in between your Hana adventures. We hope to come back soon!

Reviewed May 12, 2009

Came here on my own to read, meditate, relax, enjoy and felt comfortable staying here by myself. The dogs were nice company and not a nuisance. Close enough to Hana town (< 4 miles) to pick up groceries and get a meal but cooked most of my meals in a kitchen that was very well-equipped. I stopped in Paia town at a great grocery store--Mana Foods--two blocks on left on Baldwin--to load up on food. The house has cable TV, DVD,CD, great wireless internet as well as free telephone service to the mainland (no cell phone service at the house). You can be as connected as you want.

Went to Luana Spa in Hana for a Thai massage--enjoyed it so much that I went back the next day for a facial.

Next time I will bring my husband. We have stayed at the Hotel Hana Maui which is delightful but this is less expensive and I love being able to spread out and cook some of my meals.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank SanFranciscoJosh
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We stayed at the lovely Hale Ulu Lulu cottage from April 23 - April 28, 2009. What a gem! We found the cottage so welcoming upon our arrival - Hawaiian music playing, flower blossoms all over the house, and a phone call from Leokane to make sure all was well. We loved being so close to the Pipiwai Trail, the 7 Sacred Pools, Hamoa Beach...and it also happened to be the East Maui Taro Festival - awesome food, great local celebration, and we got to hear Leokane perform! We just loved Hana - it was so peaceful, serene, relaxing...needless to say, we miss it very much. Chris and Leokane (and Kimo, too!) do a fantastic job of providing just the perfect Hawaiian atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank biminiphile
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
The Plantation Inn
The Plantation Inn
#1 of 11 in Lahaina
Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono

Been to The Guest Houses at Malanai in Hana? Share your experiences!