“Best Activity on Maui”
Review of Hang Gliding Maui

Hang Gliding Maui
Ranked #3 of 9 Tours in Hana
More attraction details
Owner description: Hang gliding Maui offers flights in a powered Hang glider over Hana's spectacular coastline and rainforest. No experience necessary. Your pilot Armin Engert has logged more than 20,000 hours of flying Hang gliders, Powered Hang gliders and General Aviation planes. The Hang gliding wing is tested to 6 positive and 3 negative G-forces. The craft is also equipped with a BRS (ballistic recovery system, emergency parachute) Please check out our web site hangglidingmaui.com
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our entire family participated in this event on April 1st at the Hana airport. The pilot Armin is a fantastic instructor who taught us all the basics of flying and how the trike worked. We learned how to turn the trike while cruising at 60 mph about 3200 feet over the Maui coastline, as well as fascinating details about the air currents and how the trike is kept aloft even when there is quite a bit of turbulence. The views were absolutely fantastic, including waterfalls, waves crashing into the shore and even a whale! Armin also flew us over George Harrison's estate and Jim Nabor's Macadamia nut farm. We each did the 45 minute lesson. I will never forget the faces of my daughters- aged 18 and 11- when they came back. I highly recommend this activity to anyone who wants a thrill of a lifetime.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have always wanted to try hang gliding, but as a family man I could not afford the risk of the learning curve. Flying in a motorized hang glider with an experienced pilot/instructor such as Armin is likely as close to "flying like a bird" as I will get, and it was truly great! Armin clearly has his act together. His "trike" appears to be in almost new condition, well maintained, well tuned. He has a rack of high quality flight suits and helmets in order to find your perfect fit. He has decades of flying experience, a relaxed, yet thorough and attentive demeanor. Not only did he put me completely at ease, but my wife as well, who would have sounded the alarm had her hyper-sensitive radar detected any "red flags". The hour-long flight was superb - easily meeting my highest expectations. Armin did indeed teach me the basics of weight shift control and I was able to experience what hang gliding feels like. At one point Armin shut off the engine and now I could experience unpowered flight. I have ridden in gliders before, but this is better. Just our tiny open craft dancing with the breeze like a kite, nothing to obstruct your view or the sounds of the air through the rigging. We even landed without the engine. Also... I am keen on photography and I understood why Armin could not have his students distracted by fiddling with a camera, and could not take the risk of a camera getting lose. But Armin's wingtip-mounted SLR camera (Canon EOS 1000D) with a fish-eye lens, does the job admirably, and I strongly recommend that you purchase the photos. This is an experience that I can highly recommend and one that I will repeat the next time I am on Maui.

1  Thank Jacobus2
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was super fun! Armin is a great teacher and fantastic operator - my partner and I learned a lot about 'trike' gliding, and this was the highlight of our trip to Maui. I would highly recommend the 45 minute lesson - plenty of time to become comfortable with the aircraft, see a TON of beautiful sights, and learn some basics of flying. Armin is super congenial and hilarious..

Book in advance - Armin's wife is super friendly and responsive. It's pretty expensive, but worth every penny. definitely spend the extra $40 for the photographs, they are incredible. I've been on helicopter tours of Hawaii, and this is 1000x better!

We left five hours before our scheduled time (Wailea to Hana), and that left enough time to stop along the road to Hana and grab lunch. Consider staying the night in Hana or leaving early enough to drive back with sunlight. if there is more than one person flying, bring something to do while you wait for your friends to finish or play ping pong and pool in Armin's man-cave (a.k.a plane hangar).

1  Thank Tungsten1979
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Armin was a wonderful guy with a great sense of humor as well as a terrific sense of adventure. What a way to see Hawaii...the mountains, the ocean, the waterfalls!!! It is always great when someone shares with you something they obviously love.

1  Thank AlbanyNYLovetotravel
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Armin is a gem. Very professional to instil confidence, and teach you about flying the trike.but also charming and fun. What a wonderful experience. Circling above a breaching whale..need I say more?

1  Thank Jennifer G