“Massage in paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Luana Spa Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Luana Spa Retreat
Ranked #4 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Hana
Casa Grande, Arizona
“Massage in paradise”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Massage With Eve was great and just what I needed. Walking, hiking, and just plain having fun had my legs/ gastracs a little tender so I went to have a massage. I have to confess I am a therapist and can get frustrated with getting my massage. I had no complaints about EVE. She had a good pressure and worked what I need out. What I love about therapists that LISTEN to what the clients says, is just that. She took what I told her and worked with it. I had not had LOMI before so it was a learning experience for me too. Put it all together and I was walking out feeling great! Thanks EVE!

Room Tip: Didn't stay in the yurt.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed for one night in May, arriving around two thirty. Check in time is three, but the yurt was ready, and there were no problems "moving in" early. The yurt was VERY clean, if small. But then it is a yurt, and while small, it is a huge step up from camping. There is a small microwave, coffee maker, toaster, hot plate, and enough dishes for cooking. You must be careful not to use all the appliances at once though, or you risk blowing the breaker. The microwave took four minutes to boil a mug of water for coffee, so you do need to plan breakfast accordingly. We used the microwave instead of the coffee machine, because we also needed the hotplate for the bacon and eggs. The hotplate takes a long time to heat up as well. If we were to stay here again, we wouldn't bother with such an elaborate breakfast. Cereal and muffins or such would have been a better option for us as we wanted to get away early to do some hikes. As it was, we didn't check out until nine thirty because it took so long to cook everything. We did barbecue steaks the night before, and that was great, as the barbecue is outside. We did toy with doing the bacon on the barbecue, but stuck with the hotplate.
There is no hot water in the yurt. Washing dishes is done with the cold water. We washed the dinner dishes (steaks) in cold water, but in the morning, because of the bacon grease, we opted to use the paper plates in the yurt for breakfast. Don't like creating more garbage for the landfill, but I wasn't comfortable washing dishes in cold water again, when it involved grease.
The bed in the yurt is configured against the wall, the curve in the wall actually, as it is a yurt. If one of you have to get up in the night to use the facilities, make sure they get the side that is not against the wall. The facilities are only eight steps away from the front door, but it is easier for them to get out of the bed. We did wonder why they didn't turn the bed the other way. You would lose some of the room in the kitchen, but not enough to make that much difference, and then it would be easier to get in and out of the bed for both people.
The shower was great. Lots of shampoo and soaps to use, and if you like them enough, you can purchase them there as well. It was only eight steps to the building, so very close. Still need a flashlight to get there in the night though, unless you are lucky to get a bright moon. One thing though.... if you checked out the pictures on the website, and you noticed that "guy" in the shower...be aware that he is not included in your stay. Bring your own "guy". And yes, there is enough room in the shower for two people. Just be careful of the rock walls!
When we arrived, the first thing we did was grab a couple of beers and sit in the chairs overlooking Hana Bay. Someone was getting a massage in the hut less than 15 feet away. We didn't realize this right away and I felt bad after that we had been talking about the drive. When I started to read the info sheet about the yurt, I realized that when the bamboo blinds are down, someone is having a massage, and we were to be quiet. Too late!!! Fortunately, there were no more appt. that evening, so we were able to barbecue without any trouble.
We would stay here again for sure... hopefully two nights next time. We would just be better prepared as far as the cooking goes. This report was not intended to be critical, but to give as much information as possible for any one else considering staying here. This is one of the few places that even allow a one night stay. It was very quiet there, and when the rain started in the night, it didn't bother me at all. I actually love the rain on the roof like that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J0an123
St. Joseph, MI
Reviewed March 9, 2012

You are in the middle of town, yet you get the feeling that you are totally alone. You have great privacy for the outdoor shower and bath, and the yurt itself is very clean and well furnished. Outside it appears to be a tent, inside you have the feeling of a spacious room with kitchenette. There is an excellent view of Hana Bay. About Hana: If you are visiting this side of the island you are absolutely seeing the real Maui. Buy the book, "Maui Revealed", and follow the book all the way along the road to Hana and you will be amazed at the amount of free activities there are to do that you wouldn't find without the book or first hand knowledge from a friend. There are two things that are a must. First, when you are on Hana beach walk down to the small red sand beach past the pier and beyond is a cove with some of the best snorkeling on the island. Second, walk up the hill to the giant cross. The cows seemed a bit maniacal to us, but if you dare make the hike, it is amazing. The food is expensive at restaurants in the area, but the take away food at the side of the road was awesome.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed here 2 nights. We would have done 3, but someone else had it booked. We like staying down near the harbor and have stayed at the Aloha Cottages before (see review). The Luana Spa is in a much better location, has more privacy, and is quite charming. Nancy was great at getting us settled in and showing us the ropes. The Yurt was clean and cute and had everything we needed (mini fridge, bbq, sink w/ water, coffee & maker, toaster, microwave, robes, slippers, and more). This being Hana, it did rain hard while we were there (day & night). The yurt was fine and there was no pooling water outside. The outside bathroom was private, clean, dry, and well constructed. Clean towels are provided (beach towels too).There are patio chairs outside and a collection of beach items left by prior guests. You park your car right outside the yurt's door. There is wifi, but if you need it, why are you going to Hana?

My wife and I had a massage in the hut overlooking the bay. I highly recommend the Lomi Luana (or whatever it's called with the hot rocks). They use the rocks to do the massage like a rolling pin. It was wonderful. One of the best massages my wife and I have ever had. If you're not big on massages (I'm not), this could change your mind. It is also a good value for a massage on Maui.

I recommend going here first on your trip. Right after visiting the Kahului CostCo for some fish to bbq, a bag of broccoli salad, baguette, tapenade, and wine. We had the Thai at the end of the driveway for lunch.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
South Wales UK
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights after driving the Road to Hana. It is an excellent stop off for sight seeing around this area of the island. The yurt is clean and very pretty - like a cottage. Outside the yurt is a grill and tiki torches and a spectacular view of the sea. We didn't use the massage/ spa service but I l loved the outdoor shower and the gorgeous products.

If you stay here don't leave any dishes unwashed. We left an unwashed glass in the kitchen and later returned to find a geko in it.

If you stay in Hana I would recommend visiting the black sand beach and the bamboo forest.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed here when we decided to overnight in Hana after driving the Road to Hana. I recommend that everyone spend at least a night in Hana. I also recommend that they do it at the Luana yurt.

The staff was wonderful. We actually arrived at Luana before the check-in time. We passed the time by enjoying lunch at the wonderful Thai stand at the base of Luana’s driveway. When we were done, it was still a couple of hours to the check in time, but we walked up to the yurt to see if we could drop off our bags before going off to Haleakala coastal area. The staff was wrapping up cleaning the yurt, and let us check in early and gave us the full rundown of their amenities.

The accommodations themselves were amazing. The yurt is clean and furnished and equipped very comfortably. The open air bathroom is very clean and is a nice departure from the ordinary. Nothing in Hana is too far from Luana. The beach and food are an easy walk. The best part, though, is absolutely the view from the yurt’s rear. Nothing can prepare you for the absolutely stunning view of Hana Bay and Pacific right from your own backyard. And even with the spa business next door and the beach down the hill, there is a good sense of privacy to the location, especially in the morning and evenings. Luana would be worth the price just for the location. The lovely accommodations are just icing on the cake. One word of advice: Hana has a couple of general stores, but the town more or less shuts down around 7, so plan your in-room meals accordingly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
NY
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I was apprehensive about staying here at first, but it ended up becoming my favorite place during our 2.5 week stay in Hawaii. It was so peaceful and secluded. Hana was a perfect place for relaxation. The view of Hana Bay was spectacular. We had everything we needed to cook a few meals. The outdoor shower was my husband's dream come true... I don't think he's ever been cleaner he took so many showers!

The couples massage left my husband with "deep coma relaxation". Perfect for the transition from working long hours to relaxing on vacation.

Thank you for helping make our 25th anniversary so memorable Nancy!! If we go back to Maui we would love to stay again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank My4sons65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hana Oceanfront Cottages
Peace Of Maui
Peace Of Maui
#2 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Luana Spa Retreat? Share your experiences!