“It was better than our other option...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Bamboo Inn on Hana Bay
Ranked #2 of 9 Hana B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We had booked initially at a place nearby (bamboo cottage inn, from vrbo.com) which didnt work out (thousands of ants crawling/dying all over the floor, iguana poop on the bedsheets when we arrived) - we scrambled to find something else as it was getting dark and came upon this place. We were getting quotes of $400+ for any room so this place at $250 seemed relatively reasonable. I guess we can't expect value when you're trying to find a place last minute.

We checked the place out, it seemed ok - at least there weren't thousands of ants on the floor (yet!). Our accommodations seemed a bit dusty/dirty - at the door a sign mentioned to keep your shoes off but the floors felt like they hadnt been swept in a while. The linens were a little stale - I suppose due to the humidity/dampness in that area.

Didnt sleep too well as it was a bit cold & windy outside and we couldnt manage to shut all the windows. The banana bread that we left on the stove (in a ziplock) was found covered in ants in the morning. I guess there's no escaping ants in a rainforest...whats a city boy supposed to do.

As other travellers mentioned - if you're not a fan of bugs, dont stay in a rainforest... (Mind you we didnt encounter any problems staying near Volcano Natl Park!).

If i were to re-do my trip to Maui I'd plan to do the road to Hana and return back to the resort side of the island. If you dont mind roughing it (just a little) this place was fine. To each his own. Either way I'll remember visiting a black sand beach much more than any so-so accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 18, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed one night in August when we visited eastern Maui, the most gorgeous part of Maui in my opinion. We were in the ‘Iwa suite.

LOCATION
Great location. Our lanai (balcony) overlooked the ocean.

ROOM
Gorgeous. We looooved the style of the Bamboo Inn. It has a rustic feel, but is resolutely luxurious. Bed was comfy. No A/C, but honestly, Hana is pretty chilly at night, so it was perfect. Wifi is included, but you have to be close to “public” areas – it doesn’t work in the room.

SERVICE
Service was not warm, but it was good. When we arrived, they gave us our breakfast basket so we could eat (and therefore leave) at any time the day after.

CLEANLINESS
Very clean, no problem here.

FOOD
Simple, but delicious.

VALUE
At almost $200 a night, I think it is a bit overpriced. True, it was beautiful and convenient. But I felt as though the scarcity of other decent sleeping options had a costly impact on the price. It’s by far the priciest accommodation we stayed at in all of the Hawaiian islands. It’s not that I don’t recommend it but I would try again finding something a bit cheaper.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sauerkraut80
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My wife and I booked a single night stay at this hotel while taking a trip around Maui. When we booked by phone, we were told about the wonderful room that included a continental breakfast. We were also told that we couldn't cancel without 24 hours notice. This is a casual place and we were told the key would be on the board outside the office. When we arrived, NO key and no one apparently around. We returned 2 hours later and still no key. We finally located the owner who told us that the key was on the board and then when he looked, it still wasn't there. He then realized he hadn't put it there. We checked in and found a small, outdated and worn out room that was marginally clean, buggy and totally without any semblance of charm. Later, the manager left a note that he was going to be gone and the continental breakfast was in the refrigerator. Breakfast consisted of 2-4 oz glasses of orange juice, previously frozen croissants that were crushed beyond recognition and green bananas. When we took showers, there was no soap or shampoo or any other amenities. We would have complained when we checked out, but no one was around to handle the complaint. DEFINITELY NOT WORTH THE PRICE. Totally a waste of more than $200.00 to stay in a place with management that does not care. Stay at Joes across the road. .

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. I would suggest Joes.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ron F
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We have stayed overnight in Hana many times and this was our best experience yet. Great views, nice shower, good breakfast and great location in walking distance to Bay, Hasegawas and Ranch. If you don't like bugs, rain and quiet, do not go to Hana.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2011

This place was full of bugs! I understand it is a rainforest but I personally don't like sharing my bed with all kinds of bugs. We had cockroaches, spiders, earwigs, silverfish. The place smelled 'stale' and not at all clean. Bed linens looked and felt dirty. Outdoor shower we were told was 'private' but certainly would provide a show for neighbors. Outdoor hot tub is a jacuzzi bathtub that drains directly onto the ground.
Breakfast was a muffin and croissant from Costco so who knows how old that was. The juice was good and that is the ONLY thing I can say was good about this place. It is very overpriced with horribly dirty accomodations..

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Debi Y
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed in the Iwa Suite at the Bamboo Inn. It was clean, cozy, well decorated with ocean views. The management was so nice and friendly. We enjoyed a romantic evening listening to the waves and got up early to watch the sunrise. We enjoyed delicious pastries and juice on the deck before driving back to the west side of Maui. Thank you for a wonderful and romantic stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The Bamboo Inn makes the Road to Hana need tobe a 3 day affair. Most people do the Road to Hana in 1 day. However, staying at the Bamboo Inn makes in worth a 3 day adventure. The Inn is on Hana Bay. The views are just over the top - impossibly beautiful. The beach is rocky (black) and the undertow signifdicant but the swim is worth it. There are some felt beach shoes which makes it easier. John, the owner, host, guide, is great. I'd return if ever I make it to Hana. This is a 3 suite gem.

Room Tip: Any one of the three suites are fantastic.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FairWind77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono

Been to Bamboo Inn on Hana Bay? Share your experiences!