“we laugh about it now”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Hana Maui Botanical Gardens
Ranked #9 of 9 Hana B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I stayed for one night in August of 2007 with my 25 year old daughter and her friend. This place is no botanical gardens. It is no Bed and Breakfast. It is part of a weird, ramshackle homestead maintained by an elderly woman and a few hours of staff time to mow and clean. It is obviously was too much for them to handle. The grounds are extensive, but massively overgrown and unkept and without labels on most things. You will need a lot of bug repellent to venture forth. There is an authentic Botanical Garden that is on the same road, which makes the use of the term even more misleading.

The lodging amounts to a duplex in a huge gravel field that also contains the owner's bizarre-looking residence. Our unit had one big room with kitchen, dining table, living room chairs and bed and an adjoining bathroom. The decoration was garish and eclectic, and the place was only superficially clean. When we stayed, the proprietor, JoLoyce, was not on site, but at a second property of hers in Volcano on the Big Island. It was early evening when a pair of young women arrived and announced that they had already prepaid to stay in the unit that night. Naturally, neither of us wanted to leave to try to find other accommodations at that point in time. The other unit was occupied, but nobody was there. We tried to contact the owner with a cellphone to have her resolve the situation. She had me go into her unlocked house to get to the landline because reception was terrible. I wish I had not been subjected to the look of the interior of her home. Cats had been left in the house, and had not used a catbox. Stuff was stacked everywhere, from past decades, it seemed. After speaking with the owner, the two women left.

Breakfast the next morning was a Costco muffin, stored in the freezer of an ancient frigidaire in a baggie. Some cheap Costco coffee was also on hand. Laughable.
And in no sense is it the 'true Hawaii,' which does not pretend to be something it is not.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank passeggiatrice

Reviewed July 12, 2010

This place is huge. Our room consisted of a very large open room and bathroom. Some updating wouldn't hurt but the old school (think 1985) decor went well with the vibe. You feel truly removed in this location; no TV's & cell phones don't work. The rain on the roof at night was priceless and the woman who owns the place was really sweet. The whole place is run on solar which I thought was very cool.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night. I hesitate to write a review that isn't so positive because the older woman who owns the place is extremely nice and it's worth it to go just to give her the business. If it wasn't for her and the location I would give this a "poor" rating instead of "average." This place has some serious issues that need to be addressed. First, the positive: great out of the way location about 5 min from Hana, nice gardens (not spectacular), the rain sounds great on the tin roof, and it's probably available when other places are sold out. The bigger room was $140 a night after taxes, which I think is a bit high for the quality of the place.

First, when you think "B&B" you think bed & breakfast, right? Well, I felt compelled to write a review in the first place because "breakfast" consisted of...and I'm not exaggerating...extremely freezer burned Costco muffins and a huge container of super cheap "coffee" that had expired MONTHS ago. There were some ancient tea bags that looked scary. You would probably feel sick eating this "breakfast." There is an amazing road side stand that has tons of fresh fruit and banana bread not far, why not use them? I'm sorry, but it is extremely misleading to label this a B&B and this is why I'm writing this review.

Second, the place is only superficially clean. The bathroom is clean, and the floors are clean, the sheets are clean, but don't look too closely! There is tons of dust and numerous non-eco friendly (Costco again probably) traps for bugs (cockroaches) scattered about. There are some musty old books and various stuffed animals that are loaded with dust. Don't look too closely at the window sills or in any corners! I'm basically a hippie and all for the eco-friendly accommodations, but there's a line between dirty and natural. The place also had a distinct musty smell and the pillows, bed spread, and towels need to be replaced. It was probably decent in 1988.

Lastly, when lying in bed and looking at the ceiling, I would recommend not looking too closely! It is covered in this weird silver insulation covering that has been patched with silver duct tape to cover holes where mice have chewed thru. In the guest book I read an old comment about a hole above the bed that needed some duct tape, but it had not been "fixed" and we heard mice rustling about in the walls and ceiling at night. My wife thought one was going to crawl through the hole above her head all night! These are the times where you're thankful for an Ambien. The ceiling needs replacing ASAP to lessen the creepy feeling of mice crawling around.

With all of this being said, it's not going to kill you to stay here for a night and the place has the potential to be MUCH better with some inexpensive updating and a little elbow grease.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank downlowjoe
Reviewed June 7, 2010

This is a great place to stay for one or two adults. Having a car is a must. While the rooms are not enormous, they are plenty large for sleeping, eating (full kitchen, plus kitchen table and chairs), and spending the day indodors (if there is rain).. The sound of the rain pounding on the metal roof is wonderful. JoLoyce, the owner, has many, many books for guests to borrow. My room was clean, the lighting was excellent for reading, and the hot water in the shower never ran low (not givens for reasonably priced rooms). There was no traffic noise, just the sound of the birds singing away. I loved being there, especially FOR THE PRICE. Of course, I loved being there. It's Hawaii!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2010

We were surprised to find so much room, peace and quiet on Maui with so many crowds everywhere else. What I liked best was the gardens because I like plants. The setting was unbelievably fabulous: acres and acres of tropical gardens with a huge variety of plants. We could eat anything that was in season while we were there. We didn't stay nearly long enough even to just take in the variety of botanical life. The B&B is solar-powered, and it was good to see how a well-designed system can work. There are not any energy-hungry amenities here, but there is everything you need for a wonderful few nights away (and just a few common-sense "Mom" reminders of how to live within the constraints of solar power). It is well off the main road with very little traffic even on the road which is quite a ways away. Lots of privacy, but the owner was right next door if we had questions. The rooms were large! Much bigger than where we stayed in the larger town. There was a very comfortable bed that reminded me of grandmother's feather bed, a large dining table, full kitchen with stove, sink, refrigerator, and dishes, and comfortable chairs. The bathroom was delightful, with beautiful tiling and the best designed tub surround I have ever seen. It was very clean, and definitely had a tropical open-air feel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paulinest
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This is the second time my husband and I stayed at Hana Maui Botanical Gardens. It is quaint and out of the way which is what we wanted. No phones, TV, radio, you need to go to the town center for reception on cellphones. No one bothers you and JoLoyce and Adam who works for her have interesting stories of their lives and of the island. Our room is part of a 2 room cabin decorated as if you were at the bottom of the sea. It is located on a many acre property which you can walk anytime and pick fruit off the trees when in season. There's plenty of hot running water, and since there are few places to eat in Hana and the food is expensive, except for plate lunches, we brought stuff from the other side of the island and were able to cook every night, except for one night when we went to "town" for the hulas during Aloha week. What a treat! The dance was authentic and done by locals who have been studying original hula. The entire area is a paradise on earth and even when it rains (most nights) you get used to hearing the rain fall and it is very soothing. Located, near a number of visitor sites ( the Blue Pool was not available to visit) but the parks were, so we had lots of places to explore during the day. We will return!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank faybie48
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We had a great time and used this inexpensive place to rest our tired eyes by night while by day we explored the town and surrounding area. This is not a resort hotel, this is a duplex across the yard from the owner's house. The resorts in Hana will cost you 5 times more. The owner is a caring woman who is happy to share her beautiful property and talk story with guests. The rain is loud, the dog might bark, the cow might moo, welcome to life on a farm in the country. We plan to stay here again. Would not recommend to fancy friends, Grand Wailea is for them. Would recommend to anyone looking for a true Hawaiian get away to the way Hawaii used to be and in some spots still is.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kbrodbeck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hana Oceanfront Cottages
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Hana Maui Botanical Gardens? Share your experiences!