“Huge waste of money!!”

Garden of Eden Arboretum & Botanical Garden
Ranked #5 of 32 things to do in Hana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Aloha and welcome to Mauis Garden Of Eden Arboretum. An Arboretum is a park dedicated to trees. We also feature hundreds of lowland rainforest species of flowers,shrubs,and ground covers as well.We began this project in1991 with 30 acres of densely overgrown jungle, now after investing more than 20yrs of physical labor and 2 million dollars, we have created one of Hawaii's most visited botanical gardens. We have many plants found nowhere else or are uncommon to Hawaii, such as rare Amazon fruits and medicinal species, endangered hardwoods, spice, exotic nut trees, ferns and so much more...A botanical Disneyland with over 2 miles of maintained graveled walking trails...A truly educational facility with over 700 plants botanically labeled. Try to allow at least 45 minutes to explore.We feature great views and photo opportunities but no direct access to the waterfall or pools.If you are only interested in restrooms (we now have improved facilities) You can do so for free 2 miles down the road.A portion of your entry fee is donated to the nature conservatory. The cost to keep our gate open averages $1,000/dy so we sincerely thank you for your support,,,especially those who have contributed beyond our entry fee. Most botanical gardens have teams of volunteers and use chemicals to curb costs. Our entire staff are well paid professionals, and we are almost entirely a chemical free park. Thank you for visiting, we do take your comments to heart
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Huge waste of money!!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I stopped here on our trip down the road to Hana. We thought it would be interesting to see some of Hawaii's native plants and flowers. Turns out for $15 each you get to see all of the same trees and flowers that you can see anywhere along side of the roads in Hawaii! It did not offer anything different than we had seen already. There's a waterfall, however it's not close, so you can only see it from a distance. There's also a 100 year old mango tree that has no mangos on it! It looked like a birch tree. This was a waste of money for us as we left very disappointed.

3 Thank Doughe23
alan81435, Manager at Garden of Eden Arboretum & Botanical Garden, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
The $15.00 per adult entry fee helps to maintain our 30 acre Garden. Along our nearly 3 miles of walking paths you will find plant species from across the Pacific Islands and the world. Many of our plants and trees are not only rare to find in Hawaii, but were planted and raised by seed. Our collect of Ti plants (one of the original "canoe plants," those carried by the first voyagers to Hawaii in their canoes) is one of the largest in all the Islands. We have hundreds of informative plant labels, so you learn are learning about what you have seen both along Maui's roadways and along the Garden paths. Our 100 year old Mango tree was not in fruit season while you were here, as the do not produce fruit year round. The tree is home to other plant species, including many native to Hawaii. Please take a moment to look at our photo of it on our trip advisor page. During August you will find in the Garden that Avocado, Guava, Strawberry Guava, Passion Fruit, Banana, Breadfruit and Jack Fruit Trees are all heavy in fruit. We are fortunate to have a variety of Trees and Flowers blooming year round. As residents of Hawaii we understand that it is an expensive place to vacation and we keep our entry fee as low as possible to allow for couples and families an enjoyable adventure along the Hana Highway.

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“truly a paradize”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I personally admire the person who built this garden that I bought his music CD and video CD.

The garden is a must stop on the road to Hana. It stands by the highway, overlooking magnificent view of the sea and mountains. Its location by itself is already beautiful and appealing.

The garden is very very big, and well maintained. All trees have a small description - I learnt so much. There are lots of flowers - I love them ! There are peacocks and birds - the place is lively!

The staffs are superly friendly. I actually got in for $10 instead of $15, telling her that I am an international student from Vietnam. At the gift shop, the lady spent time telling me a lot about the products, but no pushing me to buy anything. I later buy 2 CDs out of admiration for the builders and guilty feeling that she was be too nice and would be sad if I don't buy anything.

Funny, she told me about the relationship between the peacocks. It is as if they are her relatives.

Some people carved on the bamboo trees - horrible !

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Minh P
Benton, Ky
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice garden”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is beautiful, but with so much other to see and experience on the island that is open to the public, I would skip it and get on down the road

1 Thank Ted-PeggyAdventures
The Dalles, Oregon
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Lovely Gardens”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stroll through the garden. It was interesting to see labels on the plants so we could easily identify what we had been seeing on the island.

1 Thank Diane W
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice, but a little oversold”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

It's a nice property, and good for families. I would not write this but for the $15 price admission. The Keopuka Rock heavily advertised as part of the Jurassic Park movie was about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from the overlook. You can capture it with a 200 millimeter lens, but it's not at all up close and personal. The falls were also somewhat distant. Much of the property seemed repetitive to me. I am a photographer and went partially down the Hana Road just to see this "botanical garden". For me, there wasn't much to photograph. It's not a bad place, and the trails are nice for families. Just a bit oversold for me.

1 Thank David F