“Hana's Best Value...modest, but worth the money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hana Bay Hale

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Hana Bay Hale
Ranked #10 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Hana
Dallas, Texas
“Hana's Best Value...modest, but worth the money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

In mid-December of 2012, we planned a lavish excursion to Maui with some friends. I have journeyed to the magnificent island of Maui numerous times and have been blessed to be able to lease extravagant private estates near Lahaina. We always feel compelled to take our guests on the famed "Road to Hana," which is certainly worth the trip. However, considering the time it takes to make this iconic drive, one will get the most out of this experience by spending at least one night in "Heavenly Hana."

Therein lies the challenge. When planning our trip, I scoured the internet looking for a place to stay in Hana for just one night. Most of the properties that are really nice (at least for Hana) require a minimum stay of two (or more) nights. In order to see all the wonderful sights Hana has to offer, we felt it only necessary to spend one night there and Hana Bay Hale was the only property that allowed a single-night stay.

Yes, I saw numerous reviews of this place on the internet that were absolutely horrible, but given the fact we were only wanting to stay in Hana for one night, I felt like we could survive such a 'seedy' place. So for less than the cost a a nice meal at an upscale restaurant, I reluctantly booked bungalow #2, the "Hana Bay Suite" (a two bedroom unit) for one night and reflecting on the awful reviews, expected the worst. Given the fact that restaurants in Hana are virtually non-existent, we bought groceries in Paia, before we started out on the road to Hana and decided to cook out on the gas grill I had seen in the pictures of the property.

I called the property manager and let her know we were planning to use the grill and asked if it was in working order. She was extremely nice and let me know that not only did the grill work, but she would make sure it had a full tank of propane before we arrived. I told her I had seen the awful reviews of the property and for the small amount it cost to stay there, we weren't expecting much.

Needless to say, when we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised to find the bungalow was much nicer than we expected. It was spacious (and clean), with all the creature comforts of a modest home. It had a great view of the ocean at Hana Bay and not only did the grill have a full tank of propane, the manager sent a friend by our bungalow after we arrived, to light the grill for us and ensure we were satisfied!

We found our one night stay at Hana Bay Hale to be a most enjoyable experience. No, it did not compare to the 17 acre private estate we leased overlooking Lahaina...nor did it come with the astronomical price tag. Hana Bay Hale was a refreshing diversion from the extravagance and our cook-out on the lanai was one of our favorite experiences of the trip.

Here's a tip worth passing along: While we were in Hana, one of the locals recommended that we not go back down the road to Hana, like we came in. Instead, they suggested that we continue on the road to Hana (past Hana) on a road that was just recently re-opened after being closed for three decades. This was an unbelievable experience, as the scenery is unlike any other and I highly recommend this route...just ask a local resident, they'll tell you where it is. Meanwhile, give Hana Bay Hale a chance...you just might be surprised! Aloha.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank SeaCracken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wailuku, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is not the place to go if you are looking for a well put together vacation rental. The rocking chair in the two bedroom suite had duct tape covering holes all over it and both screen doors were off the hinges. The hot tub did not heat up the first day we were there, but apparently that had something to do with the power outage that had occurred prior to our arrival. The pull out sofa bed was broken so they had given us an air mattress for my children, but the bedding for it looked to have blood stains. The shower handle did not work, but luckily we had a handyman with us who explained how to jerry rig the handle each time we took showers for hot water. The toilet area was disgusting. The smell of urine soaked tiles made using the bathroom almost unbearable. The dishes all needed to be rewashed because of a layer of grime on them. When the hot tub eventually heated up it was nice although it is a doughboy type that only comfortably fits two adults. The one shining moment besides the beautiful hiking and exploring we did was the fabulous thai restaurant down the street from the hale.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carrie C
Creswell, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

We were thoroughly delighted with our suite at Hana Bay Hale. We arrived between winter storms and found it to be clean and comfortable, with a lovely view of Hana Bay. Although sparsely furnished, the one bedroom suite is huge with vaulted ceilings, beautiful wood floors and a whole wall of windows looking out on the bay. The plumbing and counters look to have suffered some from constant transient rental in the tropics, but the bathtub is deep and the hot water plentiful. Each unit has a large private deck and gas grill. The galley is tiny, with a microwave and full size refrigerator, but only an old (and kind of scary) two burner hot plate and a decidedly scary appliance that might have been the advertised toaster oven. Truth is, you have to be flexible if you want to cook in any rental unit. It was certainly adequate for reheating the "plate lunch" we had bought at Tutu's just a few blocks away..

The only real complaint I had was the lack of reading light in the living room. Although there is a very comfortable chaise lounge and sofa and a nice big dining table, the only light is from the overhead way up in the vaulted ceiling. The lamps by the bed were fine but were plugged in in such a way that they couldn't be moved. It seemed strange to have so much space but to be forced to spend the evening on the bed because of the lack of light.

Other than that, we were quite pleased with our stay at Hana Bay Hale.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dayton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed at the Hana Bay Hale on Friday, 3 Feb 2012. Four adults. One night. After reading some of the other reviews, we brought along a fresh can of Raid Ant and Roach killer, but we didn't need it. The accommodations were "basic" but adequate, and reasonably clean. The bed and sheets in the master were fine. The sheets on the hida-bed were not clean, but we'd brought our own sheets and so used those. The hida-bed isn't something an adult would want to sleep on, but we arranged the couch cushions beneath the fold-out mattress, and it was fine.

Upon arrival, there was no-one around. My wife called the proprietor, but got no answers. They had charged our card and e-mailed us the name of the unit. The door was locked, but my wife, undeterred, went around back, scrambled up onto the deck, and the back door was open. So, we moved in. No one ever showed up, and my wife was never able to contact the owner. Just got the message service. However, we left the place clean, had already paid, and left a tip for the maid (or owner)...whomever cleans it.

We'd heard about the BBQ and wanted to cook our own meal that evening, after the long and winding road out there. It worked fine and we enjoyed a lovely evening out on the small deck overlooking the ocean and Hana Bay. The lights attracted small flying insects, but two geckos perched on the beams above feasted on the bugs while we enjoyed our hamburgers.

All-in-all, it was fine. Perfectly adequate for our one-evening stay-over in Hana. We liked the open feeling of the place, the high ceiling, and the skylight. The kitchen facilities were limited, but they had a full-sized refrigerator, which was nice.

Room Tip: There are only four rooms or bungalows, and they all appeared to be about the same. The photos on th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank gdp1
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

My husband and I travelled with another couple and stayed in the two bedroom condo. Both rooms had a king bed which was very comfortable and the place was very clean. It was a perfect place for us. We loved the location and the deck overlooking the ocean. Sure there was a road between but it was quiet and easy walking to the beach. The place doesn't claim to be on waterfront . We had a very enjoyable stay and would recommend the place to friends, The only item missing out of the fully stocked kitchen was cereal bowls. There were flowers waiting for us which we really liked too. It is a great place for the money and location.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PamandMarv
Whitehorse, Yukon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

It looks as tho some previous posters weren't happy, but I was very pleased. Yes, there is a road separating the property from the beach, but it's about a 3-minute walk to Hana Bay, and the road is very quiet after the day-trippers leave for the day. The view from the deck is beautiful, and can hear the waves from the bay. Some of the bathroom and kitchen fixtures are a bit dated, but everything was very clean. I found it to be good value (lodging in Hana can be very pricey!), great central location for exploring, and appreciated the gas barbeque on the deck! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in Kukui (sp?) suite, a one-bedroom unit.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank WhitehorseTraveller
Paia, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

I've lived in Hawaii for almost 10 years and rented many vacation rentals for myself when visiting other islands or areas, and for our many visiting relatives. This was among the worst. We were not looking for luxury, but for a clean and comfortable rental for my family. First, the pictures on the website make it appear MUCH closer to the ocean than it really is. It's on a busy road, across the street from the ocean. Power lines are the first part of the view. It's only a short walk to Hana Bay, though, which is great.

Second, the unit was old and dirty. We were in the 2BR unit, which was sold to us as a place that would sleep 6 adults and one baby. The two bedrooms were ample size, but the pull out couch was literally the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on EVER. I slept on the floor the following night. The floor was dirty and sandy when we arrived, and the unit was dusty and in disrepair. There was mold in the shower. The pack and play that they provided for my son was moldy and there were two cigarette butts in it. Thank goodness we brought our own! The two screen doors were off of the hinges, there was a big hole drilled in the front door of the unit, and covered with tape. There was a hole in the bathroom door, and the hottub never got above 80% - more of a tepid tub. In addition, the bannister on the deck is very loose and one of the "rungs" of it was broken and pieced together with duct tape - a big safety concern for my one year old son! The dishes in the cupboard were greasy and still had bits of food from the last people.

I called the management office and emailed while we were there, but didn't get a response until after we returned. The response was basically that I was a snob and no one has ever, ever complained before. I'm all about casual local rentals, and that's what I thought I was getting. This place sucked, and I would NEVER recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank anne l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Hana Oceanfront Cottages
Peace Of Maui
Peace Of Maui
#2 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Hana Bay Hale? Share your experiences!