“One of my favorite beach experiences ever”

Red Sand Beach (Kaihalulu Beach)
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Hana
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“One of my favorite beach experiences ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place was awesome, particularly if you're staying in Hana and could get there early. We were the only ones there for quite a few hours and it was a really cool "Gilligan's Island" type of feel.

Per one of the other reviews the true red sand beach requires a hike around the lava peninsula you'll see to your left when you go down the first hill, but to be honest that section at the bottom of the hill is very nice too. There are great coast views from that spot and I think the sun shines harder there, but the water is too rough for full fledge swimming at that spot, but you could walk in up to you'r knees to cool off. Actually there are a few little pools of very still water in that spot that are like knee deep and I threw my snorkel on and some some of the best stuff of my whole trip. I did see a butterfly fish, some sort of prawns, a massive urchin and numeours sea cucumbers along with numerous other less recognizable varieties.

Visited June 2013

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Red Sand Beach Hana”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Beautiful beach unlike anything I ever seen before. It was worth the short hike but the hike is not for the faint of heart. It’s a hike around a mountain cliff in some places with a hundred foot plus drops straight down the rocks and water with one slip. Some spots are pretty scary and you must wear shoes with good grip. Once there, it simply beautiful

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Barry M
Littleton, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

One of the beach bum locals showed us the way to Red Sand Beach. I think some visitors think that it's just at the bottom of this short trail but Kevin showed us the way to the real Red Sand Beach. It's down a trail then take trail to the left. You have to walk over some lava rocks to get to another trail but its so cool to see. It looks like something out of a movie, very surreal!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sarah M
New York, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“worth the trek”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We parked the car - looked at the lush overgrown area of vegetation sloping down to yet another smaller road in front of us, thinking: "thanks goodness there's no snake in Hawaii! We got to walk through that???" Walked through that we did - without incidents. And guess what, that wasn't the hard part. It was raining on and off a lot, so the hike down to the beach is a bit more slippery; however, with care and proper sandals, one can make it down without issues. But i do admire those who did it in flip flops. We were in Maui during a period of high surf advisory - for 3 straight days or so =( - we didn't snorkel here at Kaihalulu because it wasn't too calm, but the beach and surrounding were beautiful and it was still worth the trek, even without snorkeling.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank NYApple
Calgary, Canada
172 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 362 helpful votes
“A hidden, dangerously beautiful cove...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Yes, it is indeed. In order to reach the famous red sand beach, first prepare yourself for a tricky fifteen minutes hike that starts across the lawn at the sea side of Hana Community Centrer and continues as a steep trail down to the beach. Soon you'll be surprized by roaring ocean, a red cider beach set against brilliant turquoise waters. The whole setting is very inviting for a swim; as you catch the first glimpse of the beach from above, you'll notice that the cove is protected by a lava prominence that breaks most of the surfs. During calm waters, I cannot imagine a better place to swim. My swimming experience here was while the ocean was furiuos, but I couldn't resist the temptation. Kaihalulu, which means roaring sea, is my heartfelt recommendation for you if you plan to visit Hana.

Visited January 2013