“Our Heaven on Earth”

Ranked #1 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Hana
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Our Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Robin and I recently spent a second consecutive vacation at Dan and Sandi's piece of heaven. We have found our place of absolute rest and relaxation at the cottage. It is spotlessly clean, our hosts have become friends and not just hosts, and for the first time in my life I truly feel relaxed and recharged at the end of a vacation. The drive there on the highway is just a bonus to a wonderful vacation. Our next vacation is at least 50 weeks away and we are already planning the details for Hana and the surrounding area. If you are even considering rewarding yourself by going to the Hana Oceanfront Cottages say "yes" and immediately book your stay. You will be glad you did and may make it an annual pilgrimage like Robin and I are planning!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelStraight
hanabythesea, Owner at Hana Oceanfront Cottages, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Aloha Robin and Michael, Thank you for your wonderful heartfelt review and I feel so fortunate to have you as return guests and now new found friends. You are both a joy and I can't wait until you book your return for next year!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We loved staying in Hana and we loved staying at Sandi and Dan´s.
Hana is just paradise, if you happen to go to Maui, and especially if you travel from Europe you MUST go to Hana, your trip would be incomplete otherwise. I am from Spain and my girlfriend is Irish
The entire island is great, all the things we did were awesome: Molokini was nice but packed, snorkeling like in La Gran Via in Madrid but still worthwhile, Lahaina very touristy but we liked it, Paia very cool: we loved it, ….but Hana is completely different and unique, (we heard that each of the five Islands in Hawaii have one side similar to Hana, the wet side)…fantastic beaches, the real Hawaii and unbeatable landscape….falls, green mountains, nice hikes (seven pools)..it’s definitely not to be missed! The only downside (and it wasn’t a big problem) was that we weren´t very lucky with the weather. We stayed three days and the three of them were cloudy and it rained more than we would have liked. However, we’re sure it is not always like that, they say that if you don´t like the weather in Hawaii just wait five minutes, it was a bit longer than that for us, but it really was not an obstacle to do all Hana has to offer.

Regarding the house and the hosts. Only nice and kind words can be said. They are the best hosts you could ask for. The house is great, best accommodation we had during the trip (including California). Big room, very comfortable bed, full equipped kitchen, pretty big living room we didn´t even use and a very nice porch to enjoy the view while having a beer. It’s a real home away from home. Sandi and Dan have everything you could possibly need: coffee, cleaning products, oil, vinegar, salt, condiments etc…..all the kind of things you like having but might not buy for just three days…you wake up dying for a coffee but you might not spend 10 bucks on buying a bag of coffee (Hana is more expensive since the supply is more difficult), Sandi and Dan have all this sorted for you. And just as important as the house being stocked is they have body boards, beach towels, beach chairs etc etc for you to fully enjoy the beach there. I loved trying to Bodyboard, and I would not have tried it otherwise. They have a book and lots of flyers with different activities to do in Hana which is also very helpful.
They are very nice people and what they have to say about the area is very interesting …not just helpful comments such as “you should try this place, it’s better than the other, be careful with the beach over there which dangerous” kinda stuff but also stories which help you learn and understand more about Hana and its people. They recommended us very cool stuff to do and some very authentic restaurants. And for those of you who are very protective of your intimacy, yes it is true that they live just above and there might be another couple staying in the suit in front of the house but Sandi and Dan are very careful and respectful and you don’t even notice them.
All in all I can’t recommend this place highly enough and would love to go back in the future!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mr Whelans M
San Francisco
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a marvelous property with an out-of-this-world location. You are right across the street from a gorgeous beach, and can come home to a beautiful, comfortable, and quiet home. We greatly appreciate the immaculate cleanliness, large, well-equipped kitchen, and lovely owners. This was our second visit and we will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VeronicaArcher
Michigan
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Ideal location, beautifully kept and appointed, our favorite vacation destination. Hamoa beach is right across the street and is arguably the most beautiful beach in Hawaii. Dan and Sandi are wonderful hosts.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Happy_midwesterners
New York
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This lovely cottage, right across the street from Hamoa Beach, is an extraordinary example of simplicity done right. If you want a vacation that is relaxing, alone, and with locals, this is it. The owners have done a wonderful job in bringing real Hawaii to this adorable bungalow and allowing guests to make their own meals, use boogie board, lounge chairs and whatever else you need to feel at home. Bring food before making the long winding drive to Hana as there are less options to buy things right in Hana, but stay at LEAST 3-4 days because trust me, you will NOT want to leave.

Recommended to my daughter and her husband and they LOVED it, too.
Gorgeous views, comfortable place, amazing in every way.

Room Tip: If you can't get the cottage, the duplex in back is just as wonderful!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Cottage at Hana by the Sea is a dream come true. The location, the atmosphere, and the hosts, Sandi and Dan are exquisite. The rooms are beautifully appointed and immaculate. There is a well-equipped kitchen, so we brought our own groceries and cooked almost all of our meals which we enjoyed on the spacious deck, looking out at the ocean. Hamoa Beach is not even a 2-minute walk from the cottage. Beach gear and beach towels are provided, and there is an outdoor shower as well. Sandi and Dan are wonderful hosts. They gave us great advice about lovely places in the area to visit, local restaurants, and different activities to do. One afternoon, Sandi handed us a warm loaf of home made bread! Another time, Dan appeared with a bunch of fresh bananas grown right there in the garden. Ours was an unforgettable experience, the best way to visit Maui. We can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martha_Paula
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 4, 2013

What a beautiful piece of true Paradise! I wasn't expecting such a gem when I arrived at Hana Oceanfront Cottages. The suite was beautifully appointed, spacious & what a view! The property is immaculate & full of photo opportunities if you are a shutter bug like me. Dan made sure to show me where to find all of the extras for beach & outdoor plans although I was content just grabbing my towel & camera for a very short walk across the street & down the stairs to the most beautiful beach. Everything you would need was at your fingertips. Sitting on the lanai watching the sun go down was so peacefull. I only wish I had spent more time enjoying the treasure I discovered here. While this was my second trip to Hana, it was my first time at Hana Oceanfront Cottages but will NOT be my last. I look forward to my next visit & will make sure it is longer so I can enjoy it fully. Mahalo Sandi & Dan for sharing your hidden treasure! Deb R Anchorage, AK

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank DebRAnchorage_Alaska
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 7 in Wailea

Been to Hana Oceanfront Cottages? Share your experiences!