“Worth the Drive”

Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Saskatoon, SK
“Worth the Drive”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

When we drove the road to Hana this year, we ended up taking the back road there. My mother had been raving about Thai Food by Pranee and pretty much insisted we go straight to Hana as fast as we could, and sightsee on the way back. Needless to say, we were half starved by the time we arrived in Hana.

Pulling up, I was sure what to make of the place. Being that the restaurant is pretty much a canvas tent plopped on a concrete slab, you can't expect much for decor. It's a little grungy and a bit like eating in a picnic shelter. And sure the nearest bathroom is blocks down the hill to the beach and back. But what it lacks in amenities, it makes up for in delicious food and friendly service.

The menu is fairly small on selection, but huge on freshness and flavour. Since everything was prepared on the spot in what at a glance seems little more than a makeshift kitchen, as concise menu seems like a great idea. What really impressed me was that our food came out piping hot, made to order, in a fairly short time.

We ordered the Opakapaka salad, 2x chicken green curry, a spicy red beef curry, tofu phad Thai and summer rolls. All of it was delicious. All of it was quite spicy too (so be careful if you're not used to or not a fan of the heat). Our 7 year old wound up eating mostly rice.

Service was decent. Our server was very friendly and helpful.

Overall, I'd say for any lover of Thai food that's not a stickler for haute decor (and who happens to be travelling through Hana), Pranee's mad curry skillz are definitely worth stopping for.

• Visited February 2014

Tri-Cities, Washington
“What a find-- hidden in Hana”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Thai food in Hana? Yes, and not just any Thai food-- but some of the best we have eaten!!
They open at 10:30 and usually run out of the specials by noon-- we got there too late at 2 to try their daily specials, but since everything on their menu is cooked to order, our meal was still delicious.
We had the phad thai for lunch and then ordered the fried rice and the drunken opakapaka to go for our dinner ( since there are few dinner options in hana at night)
Amazing food-- and I have got to get me one of their t-shirts "Thai me up"

• Visited February 2014
High Prairie, Canada
“Excellent Food!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here on our way through Hana. Loved the whole experience. The atmosphere is cozy and relaxing. The food is amazing! We wish that it was closer to Lahaina, would have gone back numerous times. Will definitely go back!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Sandra B
Bandon, Oregon
“Best Thai food ever!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Better than Chang Mai, Thailand! Best Thai food that I have ever had. I had the drunken mahi mahi dish. Absolutely phenomenal. The chef came to my table three times to tell me it was spicy before serving. It was and it was fabulous! Cleared my sinuses and was super fresh. The place was packed, off the beaten path and very reasonably priced. I highly recommend without reservation. Side note is that this place and Braddah Hut close at around 4pm. So, get extras for a late dinner. The later alternatives are VERY expensive and definitely not worth it.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Jim M
Kelowna, Canada
“Best food on the island”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We have been to thailand and momma pranee here makes so real good food! I will drive the road to Hana again just to eat here. They happened to be open when we went but they are normally only open for 2 or 3 days a week, do some research to make sure they will be open. They said the line up is usually an hour, I would wait 2 hours for the the food here, have a drink from the cooler and enjoy people watching, its worth it, enjoy your vacation, don't be an idiot and try eating somewhere else.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank dadstrength

Been to Thai Food By Pranee? Share your experiences!