“maui stables” 5 of 5 stars

Maui, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“maui stables”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

the view is spectacular. While riding you can view the ocean and the mountains. The ride is done very professionally with trained horse men. It is one of the best attractions on Maui for the price. I would highly recommend it. You are outdoor, great exercise, and the view is like nothing else.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Markotay

Vilnius, Lithuania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I always trust tripadvisor reviews when planning my trips and most of the time I get what I expected but sadly this time I was really disappointed. The price of this attraction was really high and there are many places there you could ride a horse so I thought Maui stables must be something extraordinary if it's an attraction No 1 on Maui island based by Tripadvisor reviews. Oh I was wrong.. We spent just 1 week on Maui island and stayed on the other side of the island so could take road to Hana just once. I chose to skip many viewpoints on the Road to Hana for saving time for Maui stables. Don't do my mistake! Basically, what you get is a long and tiring horse ride up the hill, where you can see one really nice, but the ONLY one nice view of the ride, and when you slowly ride down the hill. The guides don't tell anything that you already don't know if you read at least something about the island before your trip. Actually, based on some reviews I thought I'll see local guides, I mean native Hawaiians, but again, that isn't so.. Also, some of the reviews already mentioned this and I think this is really disrespect for the people who paid money for taking this ride, but the horses are assigned based on nobody knows what. They said they chose the horse based on previous horse riding experience but whole assignment process was like "raise your hand who has never ridden a horse", everybody has, well OK, your horse is this, your horse is that. So me and my husband were separated and since the horses are trained so that they follow each other in one particular order and in no other way, all ride I was separated from my husband. Not being able to enjoy the ride together, not being able to even take pictures of each other or of us together.. More of that, since the guide also rides somewhere in the front, being on the horse No 4 on the horse line I couldn't hear a word from what he was telling. That left me in the boring several hours ride up/down the hill in the hot sun. Wow, that is really an attraction No 1 on Maui island (just joking, of course). Their excuse is that horses don't get along well is nonsense because my horse and the horse of my husband stood side by side on the top of the mountain and it didn't look like they had something against that. Besides, why not to chose the horses who follow each other on the line for the couples, especially when their horses are really pretty much the same and are trained really well to follow orders.
So, if it's not your first time on Maui island and you have plenty of money and time, choose Maui stables, but you can get the same even on this island for lesser price and could have more time for other much better attractions this wonderful island has to offer.

6 Thank Milda V
Bethesda, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“The horse whisperer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We went out in January, and it is only now that I have time to write some trip advisort reviews. I enjoyed the ride at Maui stables so much that I wanted to make sure I put in a review.

We were fortunate to have Keone as our guide. I went with my husband and daughter, and there were 11 people total in the group. Keone asked each person about his or her experience with horses, and matched the horses to the riders.

I was a bit worried when I saw only one guide for a relatively large group. However, Keone managed the situation really well. He put a relatively experienced rider in front, and rode up and down the line to make sure that everyone was okay during the ride, chedkin girths, telling people when to shorten their lead, etc. He also has amazing social skills and a broad range of interests. From other reviews, I knew tht he would be discussing local history and culture and explaining the different plants. However, he listened well to his clients and engaged all of them. For example, as he helped me get on my horse, he asked what I did -- I told him I worked in international finance and economics. "What's going to happen with Greece?" he asked, "Is the IMF going to help?" I later overheard him discussing politics with my husband who used to work on capital hill, and acting with my daughter, who is studying theater. I wish I had his gift for engaging with strangers.

His skills with the horses was amazing He trains all the horses, and apparently is in demand from other stables. He demonstrated how calm his horses are. He tossed a jacket over th head of his horse, and then had the horse move forward, back, left, right -- the horse trusted him completely, and followed Keone's commands even though the horse could not see. The horses also stayed still while Keone flickered his jacket in their peripheral vision, which would normally cause a horse to bolt.

The ride was terrific - 4 hours of beautiful scenery, with some really interesting history and cultural stories. I've never enjoyed a ride so much.

Some tips for enjoying it -- make sure you use the bathroom before heading out, and bring some sort of raingear. Keone explained that we were riding through one of the wettest places in the world, so during the 4 hour ride, it almost always rains for part of the time. If you forget to bring a jacket, definitely borrow one of the ones they have at the stable. Even though it is hot and sunny at the base of the mountain, it will be cooler and wetter as you head up the mountain.

And speaking of tips -- tip the guide! He won't ask or hint for one, but he definitely earns it.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Aristippe77
Coronado, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Let the horse do the walking and the guide do the talking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had a wonderful half day experience on the windward side of Haleakala National Park, just south of Hana. I am not a big fan of horses and have previously found the animals at other places to be in poor shape or looking sad. What a difference on this ride. We had a quality outing with 5 riders and our guide for about 4 hours. My horse was gentle and perfectly sized for my 210 pounds and long legs. She was easy to ride and the gear was first rate. The horses climbed nearly 1000 feet of elevation going from quiet forest paths to open ridge lines and amazing views. Having a 360 degree view of coast, brilliant blue ocean, dramatic water falls slipping in and out of the fast moving clouds and steep valleys essentially to yourself was worth it for me. Our guide was a native Hawaiian with a winning smile and a gentle way with horses and novice riders that put me quickly at ease. He was eager to share his knowledge of the many plants and their uses, the history of the Hana area, the changes that have occurred in the last 200 years and the hopeful future of the islands. The time went quickly for me and I was sorry to see the stable come into view at the end of the ride.

5 Thank markoutandabout
Toronto, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Our most memorable day in Maui!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I and our two children aged 11 and 13 really enjoyed our experience with Maui Stables. The day could have been a nightmare for us, but instead turned out like a dream. The day started with the best laid plans - we left our hotel in Kaanapali at 6:00 am so we would be in good time to get to the stables. Close to the hotel, our car broke down and it looked like we were going to have to miss our ride. I called Maui Stables and spoke to the owner Lynn to explain our situation. She wasn't able to rebook us for another day as they were booked solid for the whole month of July. My children were devastated as they had been looking forward to this day for months. Knowing how upset the children were, Lynn managed to arrange that her guide Kekoa, take us out on a tour a bit later than the originally scheduled time. We got a new rental car and followed the very detailed and clear driving instructions to the stable. We found the drive a great experience in itself. The scenery was beautiful and the roads were not as bad as expected. When we arrived at the stable, everyone was ready for us. As mentioned by many reviewers the bathroom is lovely and clean, and the stable provides very nice snacks before and after the ride as well as much appreciated bottles of water during the ride. Kekoa and Lynn gave us our instruction and got us up on the horses that they had chosen for us, and we were off. We had an amazing ride through Haleakala park, the highlight of which was stopping on a plateau overlooking the waterfall and spending some beautiful, peaceful time there with Kekoa telling us stories about the land and some of his experiences growing up. We all thought that it was wonderful and the most "authentic" Hawaiian experience that we have ever had in our many trips to Hawaii.

5 Thank Elizabeth L