“You CAN go home again!”
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Koali Ranch Cottage from the ocean
From the lanai
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

fevafotos
“You CAN go home again!”
Reviewed April 10, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
person found this review helpful

This was our ninth anniversary "honeymoon" and I wanted to share with my Sweetheart the two places in Hawaii that were my first National Park Service assignments - Kona and Hana, where I arrived in December 1969 to be the first district ranger of the newly added Kipahulu District, leaving in about 1973.

We're not exactly in the economic level of the Travaasa Hotel, so I spent a while looking online at every other option I could find. It was gratifying to see how many BnB accommodations are now available in the Hana area!

It was only after I had decided Koali Ranch Cottage was the best deal in Hana that I realized it was only about 100 yards from the converted bunkhouse (now gone) that was my last residence in Hana! I knew the owner's parents and, when he came back to greet us, we reminisced about their Dalmation, Ditto.

The road to Hana was as much fun as ever, safer now that they have put in the "Yield" signs on each side of the one-lane bridges that have 60-degree approaches and exits. The rental car company wanted to give us a Dodge Caravan - NOT what you want on the Hana Highway. We had fun with a VW bug convertible.

We opted to stay three nights, wanting to enjoy Hana in a relaxed way and have enough time to see old haunts. It was perfect! The cabin is out of town, not a beach place, both of which were great for us. Morning coffee on the lanai, overlooking the coast and the Alenuihaha Channel, with Mauna Kea in the distance, frigate birds flying by, the early sun gilding the vegetation on the slopes, dining on fresh papayas and avocados, listening to the chickens and other birds ... what a way to start the day!

We didn't do any cooking in the cabin, but everything we needed was there and everything worked perfectly. We're photographers, so we appreciated the wi-fi access to be able to post pictures of our daily adventures. It was a perfect location for us and there was everything we needed, and we loved the artwork decorating the cabin. The only suggestion we have is that convex mirrors on the rock walls might make entrance from the yard to the "highway" a little more confident.

One day we went out to Kipahulu and visited old haunts - totally changed (amazing how much grows in 45 years when the cows are no longer grazing the pastures!). Self-service fruit stands along the way had me turning into a fruit bat! We also got to visit the Kapahu Living Farm and talk story with John Lind - they're doing things I could only dream of when I was there.

The next day we went out to the Pi'ilanihale Heiau and Kahanu Garden near the Hana Airport - that heiau is stupendous! - and wandered around Hana a bit, lunching at Hana Bay and visiting the Hasegawa General Store, - Neil was a young sprout when I left Hana and his parking lot covers the place where my office was.

I was told there are now about 100,000 people visiting Kipahulu annually - lots of cars and even tour groups in mini-buses. But, in the early morning and later afternoon, before the tourists arrive from the other side and after they've gone back - Hana is still Hana! And it was wonderful!

As we bid adieu to Hana, we completed the circuit around East Maui by going out through Kaupo on the dry side. What a grand slope that is, and what a contrast to the rainforest on the Keanae side! Huialoha Church still stands against the rocky coast, the Kaupo Store is still there and the deep canyons beyond Nu'u are still awesome!

Several of our friends have already asked us about our trip and we will be highly recommending Koali Ranch Cabin to them for their adventures!

HMPaleo
“Fantastic!! Simple cottage with great views”
Reviewed March 17, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

This is an absolute gem!! Brilliant views from this simple little cottage that has everything that you need for a few nights stay. Quiet location and easy to find. A great location to spend a few days!!!

Margaret...
“Did not disappoint - every bit as nice as advertised and reviewed”
Reviewed February 19, 2017 for a stay in February 2017
person found this review helpful

50th anniversary trip to Hawaii - from Iowa. Went back to 2 lovely resorts we stayed at for our 40th anniversary - Turtle Bay and Sheraton Maui - both lovely. Months before our trip we researched the Road to Hana, which we didn't tackle 10 years ago. Should we, or not? Should we drive it, or take a tour van? Do it in one day, or stay over in Hana? Many reviews of Road to Hana said to stay overnight in Hana as there is so much to see and do in that area. We saw several recommendations for Koali Ranch Cottage, people raving about it and saying they wished they had stayed longer. The website and reviews looked promising, so we took a chance and reserved it for 3 nights. I was so afraid of being disappointed, as we were with our B&B in Kihei last time. Everything was as described in reviews and on cottage website. It is simple. clean, quiet, private, lovely view of the ocean. We woke up to a pink sky and ocean the first morning - I'll try to post a photo. Twice we woke up in the middle of the night and went out on the lanai to look at the brilliant stars (no city lights). And then went out front to look at the Big Dipper and all its neighboring stars (prop the door so you're not locked out). We ate every meal but 1 on the lanai - no proper table inside. I didn't cook once. Well, I made coffee. Banana bread, fruit and coffee for breakfast. We enjoyed the food trucks, and brought a meal back to the cottage to share. One night we bought a frozen pizza in Hana, and heated it in the oven (that's not cooking). We saw Lindbergh's grave (terrible road), watched the surf, hiked on the Pipiwai Trail in Kipahulu Valley park to the 400' Waimoku Falls - very strenuous for me. We did a few other things, and didn't try to do it all. We could have stayed another day or 2, but we are happy we stayed at least 3. The only downside, my husband had the challenge of turning the car around in a small area so he didn't have to back out on the Hana Hwy. The cottage is 5 miles beyond Hana. We ate lunch one day at the Ranch Restaurant run by the Travaasa Hotel. It was good, but I would have preferred a plate lunch from one of the food trucks, as we didn't get to them all. We think the Hana Road is overrated, but our stay at the cottage is one of our best memories of the entire trip. We highly recommend it.

Feb 20, 2017
WOW! What a super review! And while you were there, you couldn't dial out on the phone.

We are sorry about the turn around problem. Most of us just back out.

Please come again. Chuck Gray
hwerre04
Middleton, Idaho
“Perfect in every way!”
Reviewed November 14, 2016 for a stay in October 2016

We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary with a 10-day stay at Gray's Cottage (as the locals call it) and couldn't have been more comfortable or happy with the cottage. The view off the lanai was breathtaking and the cottage cozy and sweet. Watching the sunrise each morning and the rains roll in from the ocean was spectacular, as were the frequent rainbows. This is truly a little slice of heaven within a paradise. The cows added a rural feel and were so quiet and pastoral; like watching the nature channel with the cows & calves, birds, mongoose and all. We couldn't have been happier with this place and hope we can visit again. It felt like home.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view and the ocean breezes.
Liked least: Spider webs on the lanai but they minded their own and didn't bother us.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers
Nov 16, 2016
Helen Werre, Thank you so much for your perfect review. It means so much to all of us involved with the cottage. Hopefully you will be able to come again.

Chuck Gray
stsmile20...
Kihei, Hawaii
“Peaceful with Spectacular Views!”
Reviewed June 22, 2016 for a stay in March 2016

This past March, we celebrated our 20th anniversary at the very special Koali Ranch Cottage!
Spending five days exploring the beautiful Hana Coastline, mornings at Hamoa Beach,
hiking through the magical Bamboo Forest, and, then sunset on the lanai toasting with champagne and strawberries! What more can one ask for! If you want to truly experience
Heaven on Earth, then Koali Ranch Cottage provides you this wonderful opportunity!

Liked best: Location and views
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Nov 16, 2016
Yikes! I am sorry to be so late in responding to your wonderful review. Thank you. We hope to see you again.
europe200...
boston, ma
“you won't want to leave!”
Reviewed April 9, 2016 for a stay in December 2015

The views were so spectacular from sunrise to sunset, you won't be disappointed.
the location was great to a lot of the key sights/hikes to see while doing the road to Hana.
the welcome basket of fruit and local banana loaf was a nice gesture.
tip - bring dinner to cook - the closest market had very slim pickings.
I would recommend this cottage to any of my friends who want to stay a few nights in Hana.
My husband and I didn't want to leave!!

berkeley2
California
“stunning view with peace & quiet”
Reviewed April 2, 2016 for a stay in March 2016
person found this review helpful

This place is gorgeous. The view is unreal! We wished we could have stayed more than 2 nights so that we'd have more time to just sit outside & stare at the view.

We had a small problem with the bedding smelling not very fresh & they fixed it immediately.

As rental kitchens go this one is pretty well-stocked w/ a variety of pots & pans -- they even have cast iron pans! :)

Great location that allowed us to hike Pipiwai trail first thing in the morning w/ hardly any other people.

To explain my comment about the insensitive artwork: the closet has painted doors showing different scenes from one of the owners' life. One scene shows people being hanged (the info binder explains she wanted to "string up" the construction workers because she was so frustrated with them). I took it with a grain of salt given the age of the person, & I could avert my eyes because of the gestural, abstracted brush-painted style (I think my partner didn't even notice the content), but it still bothered me. Lynching or hanging is not a joking matter, & not all artworks age well or are appropriate for all audiences, including unsuspecting vacationers. It is a lovely art piece other than that one scene.

I would still come back & I would still recommend this place to most friends -- but with a warning to those who are particularly sensitive.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: view! view! view! & well-stocked kitchen
Liked least: insensitive artwork
Apr 10, 2016
Thank you for your beautiful review. I am sorry that I missed you this trip.

The painted closet doors were a house warming gift from Elsie Daas, noted island artist on the occasion of the house completion. Mom used the doors in her closet in Honolulu and when they moved to Hana in 1964, she could not part with the doors...so she put them in her cottage. I am sorry that it offended you and hope you can ignore it on your next trip.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing