“The best view of the island”
Review of Skyview Soaring

Skyview Soaring
Ranked #6 of 9 Tours in Hana
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife and I took a trip to Maui for my 30th birthday, and spend a few days in Hana (Nahiku area). My wife bought me a glider trip with Hans for my birthday, and it was a wonderful experience. Hans is a great pilot/tour guide, and was very accommodating. The weather wasn't ideal the day we went, and he suggested we wait a little bit before taking off. I have no clue how he did it, but he found a way around the clouds, and gave me a great view of the coastline and got us up to the crater. Despite the no-so-great weather around the rest of the island, he kept us in the sun and gave me some great views of the island. I can't recommend him enough.

1  Thank Max B

Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I recently visited Maui for whale watching in January 2012. We were looking for something different to do, and found Skyview Soaring on Trip Advisor. All the reviews were awesome, so we decided to go for it. This ended up being the highlight of the trip! Since Haleakala is a national park, there is a restriction that prevents powered aircraft from flying over the crater (due to the noise and echoes caused). The only way to get a spectacular aerial view of the crater is to glide over.

The glider used is a powered glider meaning it has an engine and can take off under it's own power. You take off from Hana airfield (more on that later) and get some incredible island views as you climb up to 12,000 feet. You may get a bit of turbulence on the way up, but rest assured your pilot is incredibly experienced (he's been flying gliders since he was 14), and the air should smooth out once you achieve altitude. Once you get above the crater, the engine is cut off and you soar over top giving you some awesome breathtaking views. Once you're done with the crater, the flight back is relatively quick.

So more tips: Skyview is an owner operated endeavor. He's a great guy and very flexible, just give him a call. He flies out of Hana, and if you haven't been there before, read the posts on the Road to Hana (hint, it's a winding, twisty road and will take some time to get to Hana). The drive itself is an experience. Also note that Skyview accepts cash, or travelers checks (no credit cards at the time of our trip).

I highly recommend this adventure!

2  Thank Brian B
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Great ride even for an avid pilot. Hans makes the trip very fun if you want to pull a couple of g's. This is a trip not to pass up when go to Hana

Reviewed January 27, 2012

I'm a licensed private pilot, so I flew the katana from the right seat, except for take-off and landing. Had an excellent flight in perfect weather. Very different aircraft from my C172, so a great learning experience.

1  Thank CanadianTraveler65
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I made a birthday flight with Hans! Hans is a very good pilot, you feel very safe and relaxed. We flew along the coast and the views from the sky are amazing! Check the picture from the rainbow! So nice!!!! Definitely a must do!

2  Thank Mary H

Been to Skyview Soaring? Share your experiences!