“Pleasant stay.”
Review of Hana Kai Maui

Hana Kai Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I was a little nervous about staying here but everything went better than I had anticipated. I called a few months ahead to book room 207 for one night, since I had seen pictures from another review and knew it was a corner upper unit. Everyone I dealt with for check in/out was very nice and courteous. The grounds were very lush and the outside of the complex appeared well maintained. The inside could use a makeover but was adequate. The kitchen was well stocked with everything we needed. Since there is no A/C, the windows have to stay open to get the breeze which also means you do hear all noises around you. All was quiet pretty early (8p-9p) so going to sleep wasn't a problem. The bathroom was the biggest downfall as it seemed dirty and badly needed to be remodeled. If you're only staying one night in Hana, or you're on a budget, this is a decent place.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank hartmann4

Reviewed May 20, 2007

We vacationed on Maui in April,2006. We stayed with friends and rented a car to tour the island on our own. W e took the road toHana trip and enjoyed every minuteof it. When we arrived in Hana and needed a place to stay, we just pulled into the drive of th Hana Kai and asked if there were any vacancies. We were given a room with an effeciency kitchen, full bath and a bedroom with a lanai with the most beautiful view. No TV, no telephone, just ocean views and sea sounds. If I ever have the oppurtunity to return to Maui, you can rest assured I will make a trip to Hana and stay in the Hana Kai, and I will make reservations before I go to make sure I can stay there. Thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank LudlowRandall
Reviewed April 27, 2007

We spent one night on Hana so our drive along that famed highway could be more leisurely, as well as give us a chance to bask in the moist, sleepy pace of Hana.

The hotel itself is very modest by any standard, rustic even, but clean enough and charming in its own way. The room reminded me of a small cabin, sort of. We got a good deal on one of the central rooms overlooking the rocky beach, since our one-night stay serendipitously coincided with two longer rentals before and after. Great view of the water and beach, though it's of course vastly different than the sandy beaches of the leeward side.

We found many Portuguese men-of-war scattered on the beach, quite nifty looking creatures. Mosquitoes and other critters (there was neat looking spider in our room that we put outside on the terrace for its own safety) are not uncommon, so squeamish folks may want to stay elsewhere. You're definitely closer to nature here than the typical touristy spots that abound in Hawaii.

Didn't have much interaction with the staff, but they were pleasant enough.

A good place to stay overall, given the few choices in Hana.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank wmozart5
Reviewed March 21, 2007

I stayed one nite with my 2 teenage kids at this resort. Beautiful. I was glad it didn't have a phone or TV because it gave us time to bond with each other again. We were lulled to sleep by the waves and woke early to see the sunrise. What a wonderful experience. I'd stay again. We also ate at the Ranch, great food!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank fresquez
Reviewed March 5, 2007

This was my first trip to Hana - and the previous reviews made me think this would be a great change from the large resorts we were staying in, capping the beginning and end of our trip.

At first glance I was a little disappointed in the hotel. It's a bit like two two-story motels, staggered on a hill. One is closer to the beach and the other is higher up the hill.

We stayed in room #101, which was on the first level of the higher building. Hmm. No air conditioning. Okay. Well, the louvered windows provide a great breeze. Hmm. Louvered windows and we're right next to the driveway. Hmm.

But in the end - none of that mattered. The warm Hawaiian breeze was great. The noise from the driveway never actually materialized. It was wonderful to be lulled to sleep by the nearby crashing surf.

No TVs, no phones, no air conditioning. No problem! The "step-saver" kitchen worked out great for breakfast. The furniture is bit flea-market-ish, but there are nice touches like plantation quilts.

The black sand beach was actually more pebbly, but provided a beautiful view. The lanai wasn't as private as I'd like, but it was large.

I kept thinking that if they styled up the rooms more - they could charge a premium - but I guess that's not really the spirit of Hana.

We at several meals at the much more expensive Hana Maui Hotel (great food!) - but didn't get to check out the grounds much. All in all though, you really can't beat the Hana Kai Maui Resorts beach-front location.

No regrets.

Stayed: March 2007
8  Thank sfimporter
Reviewed March 4, 2007

All the reviews are accurate. This is a beautiful location and a different view than you would get elsewhere in Hana (better view than the fancier resort in town). Feels like looking out on a South Pacific island beach. The beach is rocks and great for strolling (when it is not raining). Continue along the beach around toward the point to really explore and eventually meet up with the old kings highway trail (a little hard to find). Swimming is 2 minute drive down the road at the main Hana beach.
I wouldn't call it reasonable given that it is >$200 per night after taxes for the 1BRs. But the studios are just as nice (and perhaps better for two people since you wil have a view from your bed while the 1BRs has the bed in a back room with a patio looking o the street). But if no studios are available, this is still worth it.
Our only complaint is that although the kitchen is well stocked with cooking appliances, utensils, etc. it does not have any of the main things one needs as a traveler who is cooking -- namely olive oil and salt and pepper. Those would have been nice since the key to this place is cooking in and eating on the deck or using their BBQs down on the beach.
Ask for a room in the lower building since it is literally right on the beach (but there might not be any studios there). We stayed on the right corner of the top building which was fine but if we were more to the left we would be looking too much over the lower building.
Staff is OK but not super friendly.

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank sanfran,norcal
Reviewed December 26, 2006

We stayed at the Hana Kai for one night during a week long stay on Maui - and it was by far the most romantic, charming and peaceful part of our visit. We wished we could have stayed longer. You feel like you've left the whole world behind. The waves crashing on the beach was the best sound I've ever fallen asleep to. We highly recommend making a stop in Hana and staying here when on Maui. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AmyDDenver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!