Hana Kai Maui
$471
$423
$228
$149
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui(Wailea)
$559
$479
$539
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe black sand beachone nightthe kitchenupper buildingcorner unitsound of the wavesliving roomlarge lanaiocean viewboard gamesgeneral storeair conditioninglong drivestayed nightsbeautiful sunriseceiling fanpipiwai trail
Reviewed May 27, 2009

After spending 1 night at Hana Kai Maui, part of our stay was a "good" experience....hearing the ocean surf while we slept and enjoying sunrise/sunset from our lanai. Beyond that, I am surprised at the fantastic reviews the property gets. We stayed in Room 102 and felt it was outdated and worn. As you will see on their site, they don't show the bathroom because it is probably the room that most needs updating. We are adventurous travelers (not Ritz, Four Season types) but felt this property did not live up to the hype or the pricetag. Because we were not up for cooking, we ate in the Lounge at Hotel Hana but found the area too sleepy for our tastes. Mainly enjoying Hamoa Beach and the drive down for the waterfalls & tropical plants. But if you want a wild ride on Maui with coastal scenery, consider taking the northern route out of Lahaina from 30 to 340...most of it one lane. Stay at Hana Kai for the tropical gardens, surf sounds, etc. but don't expect much of your room even at a price of $250 per night.

Reviewed May 22, 2009

Okay, I hesitated to write this review because I don't want to have problems booking this unit when we return, but the owners have just completely renovated this 2 bedroom oceanfront condo and it is drop dead gorgeous!

#5 is the ONLY 2 bedroom condo at Hana Kai. I did not see any other units, but it appeared they all have terrific ocean views. The pictures shown on Unit #5 are EXACTLY what you get... luxurious comfort, and views to make you weep!

We stayed 2 nights, at the very beginning of our 12 night Maui vacation, but will most likely stay longer next time because Hana was exactly "what the doctor ordered"! We could actually FEEL the stress leaving. # 5 has a huge COVERED lanai, where we played cards when it rained, and enjoyed all our meals.

Staying in Hana more than 1 night is not for everyone, but if, like me, you've dreamed of paradise, without all the touristy trappings, and you can be still and enjoy the breathtaking sunrises, and lush scenery, and the company of your family/friends, then this is certainly the place for you!!!

To the owners of #5, thank you for sharing your gorgeous Hana condo. It was TRULY spectacular, and a blessing to me, my husband, daughter and son-in-law. We WILL be back! Mahalo!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed in room 202. The view was fantastic. The Lanai was excellent with really nice table and a comfy reclining chair. The room was recently remodeled and it looked fabulous. The bed was extremely comfortable, so much that we pulled the sheets to check out the brand. The location was good for Hana.

Reviewed May 15, 2009

Unless you are traveling in Hawaii for a week or more it is not worth the money to stay here. The rooms are clean but the beach is horrible. It is made of big rocks and hard to walk on and you can't swim at the hotel beach (very dangerous). It was not worth the money spent- I would rather had made the drive which was worth it and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Jean6
Reviewed May 10, 2009

First, I would like to make it clear that we (my boyfriend and I) did not end up staying at this "resort." However, I did think it was important to share our experience.

This was the part of our week long trip to Maui that I had been looking forward to. I couldn't wait to get away from it all and enjoy laying out on the beach in front of the resort. The Hana highway was quite an experience to drive, but we had done worse on the other side of the island. When we arrived at the Hana Kai, I couldn't wait to check in. We parked, and I immediately noticed the beach and that there wasn't one. From the company's website, the "beach" in front of these accommodations looked to be black sand. I was very surprised when we arrived to find that what appeared to be a black sand beach was nothing but black stones all over the place. This was not what I had in mind when I pictured myself laying out and watching the waves. In any case, we proceeded to the check-in office. We had originally booked unit #204 which was decorated and had a view that I particularly liked. When we checked in, we were not able to get unit #204 because the stove was broken. We were immediately "upgraded" to unit #201. We paid and went to our room. The first thing I noticed was the age of the accommodations and the stuffiness of the room. I knew there was no air conditioning, but no window or door had been opened in preparation for our arrival. The unit was extremely small, but did have a large lanai. It was clean, but it clearly showed its age. The units do not have tv and are only equipped with one ceiling fan. This "upgrade" we had received did not seem like one at all. Immediately we did not get a relaxing vibe from this place. We didn't feel comfortable and really could not put our finger on why. As such, I decided to approach the management desk where we had checked in. I explained to the ladies that the "resort" was just not what we had anticipated. The ladies were extremely nice and understanding. They explained that if we would decide before closing time if we wanted to leave, they would refund our money (minus the deposit). I was very surprised by this as I knew that they would be losing a lot of money on a confirmed reservation that was backing out at the last minute. Again, they were so generous and understanding to the fact that this place just wasn't what we had thought it was. To be honest, there was no decision to make. Once they said we would get the remainder of our money back, we checked out. We hadn't even unloaded our rental car yet. They did keep our deposit which we thought was completely fair, but these ladies were truly nice about the whole situation. Many people/companies wouldn't be that understanding.

In any case, I would recommend this hotel to other people. It just simply wasn't what we were looking for. We finally figured out that not only was the "resort" not what we were expecting, but it was the fact that this place just didn't even begin to compare to the amazing accommodations we received in Kihei (at the Aikane). If you are thinking of staying in Hana, make sure it is for you. There are limited places to eat, only one grocery store with an unfriendly clerk (unless you are Hawaiian), and really nothing to do. The ladies at the management of this resort said, "Hana is the vacation away from the vacation." If you find that laying on a rock beach, hiking, staring out in the dark at night, and cooking your own meals relaxing, then I would advise you stay in Hana and that you stay at the Hana Kai. However, we do not enjoy having nothing to do in the evening, and I do not find cooking and cleaning on my vacation relaxing. Simply, this just wasn't what we wanted, but to each his own.

3  Thank KeeKeex2