Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of Hana Kai Maui

Hana Kai Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Reviewed May 15, 2009

Unless you are traveling in Hawaii for a week or more it is not worth the money to stay here. The rooms are clean but the beach is horrible. It is made of big rocks and hard to walk on and you can't swim at the hotel beach (very dangerous). It was not worth the money spent- I would rather had made the drive which was worth it and stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Jean6
There are newer reviews for Hana Kai Maui

Reviewed May 10, 2009

First, I would like to make it clear that we (my boyfriend and I) did not end up staying at this "resort." However, I did think it was important to share our experience.

This was the part of our week long trip to Maui that I had been looking forward to. I couldn't wait to get away from it all and enjoy laying out on the beach in front of the resort. The Hana highway was quite an experience to drive, but we had done worse on the other side of the island. When we arrived at the Hana Kai, I couldn't wait to check in. We parked, and I immediately noticed the beach and that there wasn't one. From the company's website, the "beach" in front of these accommodations looked to be black sand. I was very surprised when we arrived to find that what appeared to be a black sand beach was nothing but black stones all over the place. This was not what I had in mind when I pictured myself laying out and watching the waves. In any case, we proceeded to the check-in office. We had originally booked unit #204 which was decorated and had a view that I particularly liked. When we checked in, we were not able to get unit #204 because the stove was broken. We were immediately "upgraded" to unit #201. We paid and went to our room. The first thing I noticed was the age of the accommodations and the stuffiness of the room. I knew there was no air conditioning, but no window or door had been opened in preparation for our arrival. The unit was extremely small, but did have a large lanai. It was clean, but it clearly showed its age. The units do not have tv and are only equipped with one ceiling fan. This "upgrade" we had received did not seem like one at all. Immediately we did not get a relaxing vibe from this place. We didn't feel comfortable and really could not put our finger on why. As such, I decided to approach the management desk where we had checked in. I explained to the ladies that the "resort" was just not what we had anticipated. The ladies were extremely nice and understanding. They explained that if we would decide before closing time if we wanted to leave, they would refund our money (minus the deposit). I was very surprised by this as I knew that they would be losing a lot of money on a confirmed reservation that was backing out at the last minute. Again, they were so generous and understanding to the fact that this place just wasn't what we had thought it was. To be honest, there was no decision to make. Once they said we would get the remainder of our money back, we checked out. We hadn't even unloaded our rental car yet. They did keep our deposit which we thought was completely fair, but these ladies were truly nice about the whole situation. Many people/companies wouldn't be that understanding.

In any case, I would recommend this hotel to other people. It just simply wasn't what we were looking for. We finally figured out that not only was the "resort" not what we were expecting, but it was the fact that this place just didn't even begin to compare to the amazing accommodations we received in Kihei (at the Aikane). If you are thinking of staying in Hana, make sure it is for you. There are limited places to eat, only one grocery store with an unfriendly clerk (unless you are Hawaiian), and really nothing to do. The ladies at the management of this resort said, "Hana is the vacation away from the vacation." If you find that laying on a rock beach, hiking, staring out in the dark at night, and cooking your own meals relaxing, then I would advise you stay in Hana and that you stay at the Hana Kai. However, we do not enjoy having nothing to do in the evening, and I do not find cooking and cleaning on my vacation relaxing. Simply, this just wasn't what we wanted, but to each his own.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KeeKeex2
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Staying overnight at the Hana Kai was probably the best decision we made on our honeymoon. After an activity-packed week in west Maui, we got to sleep in a little bit before our drive on the road to Hana. Sleeping those extra few more hours not only gave us some much needed rest, but also helped us avoid the Hana caravan. If you don’t stay overnight, you will need to leave early along with the rest of the day trippers. My friends did the day trip, and recommended staying overnight. I’m glad we did!

But this isn’t a review of the road to Hana. I think everyone agrees that it is awesome. This is a review of the Hana Kai, which was the perfect place to stay after our drive to Hana. Our room (202) had an ocean view and a view of the nearby black sand beach. Listening to those waves was so relaxing, and every part of our room added to that feeling. The tile, the sink, the bed, the décor, etc… The photos on the website accurately reflect the room we stayed in. I was impressed by the website photos, but still had doubts when I made my reservations. Any stress in my body and worries in my mind left the moment I opened the door. I sat on the bed and almost cried with joy after my bad check in experience in west Maui.

There is a small general store down the street that has the pricing, selection and friendliness that you’ll find in most small towns. We bought a bottle of wine along with some cheese, crackers and fruit at the store, brought it back to the hotel, and simply sat on our balcony soaking in the sounds of the night. – which didn’t include any other guests at the hotel.

The next morning, we drove further down the road to the seven sacred pools. We also hiked part of the 2 mile trail, but it wasn’t worth the effort or time. The pools found at the end of the .5 mile trail are what we came for, so we should have spent every minute there. If you arrive before 10:00, you only have to share them with a few other travelers.

My only regret about Hana Kai is not staying longer. In retrospect, I think we should have spent 3 - 4 nights in Hana, and 3 in west Maui, rather than the one night in Hana and 6 nights in west Maui. I might add the extra night to Kauai, where we spent the rest of our honeymoon.

Reviewed May 4, 2009

Do you have a happy place? You know, the place you close your eyes and drift off to when everything around you is going crazy? Well, I found my new happy place - it's unit #5 of the Hana Kai. The location, decor, ocean views, ocean breeze, and black sand beach - everything about our stay here was perfect. Waking up and watching he sunrise from your bed while breathing in a gentle ocean breeze .... I've never experienced anything like it. The only thing I regret is not staying longer. My family and I had an absolute perfect experience staying with Susie Pu and the rest of the staff. Every moment, from check in to check out, we were treated with a sense of caring and warmth. The town of Hana is an absolute must see when visiting Maui, and I strongly recommend staying at least two nights at the Hana Kai.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2009

The Hana Kai Maui Resort is a marvelous facility. The location on the beach could not be more ideal. The sun rise and ocean views are spell binding. The site is quiet, well-maintained and comfortable. The staff are very plesant and helpful. I will return. The website photos are accurate representations of the facility.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2009

We stayed in Unit 2 at Hana Kai April 20-24th and had a fabulous experience at this wonderful little place with amazing views of the black sand beach and some time to just relax at an amazing location. It rained every day we were there… but drove to do some hikes and find some sun every day. When you sleep in these rooms at night you are overwhelmed by the sounds of the ocean and the ambiance is unlike any you can find in Hawaii (and I have been to Hawaii 8+ times). But don’t expect the amenities of the Grand Waliea - - but do expect an equally relaxing stay if you like the outdoors and don’t mind cooking for yourself.
I was a little concerned because it sounds like some of these reviews on this place are from overzealous condo owners that are simply trying to get people to book their condos… but let me tell you if you stay in the lower building you cannot but disappointed.

I hope to return someday.

1  Thank daut_travler
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Hana Kai is clean and the location is nice IF you have one of the units with a view of the water. We stayed in unit #102 which provided a nice view. We felt that #102 was a pretty spartan affair for which we paid $222 per night plus a onetime service fee of $20. There really wasn't any service. There is also no A/C, no heat, and no TV. Our room did include a kitchenette and there was a very nice propane grill available on the grounds.

The trouble is that the options in Hana are really limited unless you split for the Resort so it may be necessary to stay at Hana Kai and just accept that value is not an option in this town.

We ate at the Hana Maui Resort which was OK but also overpriced. We had read so-so reports about the Hana Ranch restaurant but decided to try it anyway. On a positive note, although the menu is limited in scope, we felt that the choices available were very good, as was the service and that the price was fair.

Don't let this review discourage you from driving out to Hana. In a four week trip through the islands the road to Hana (and slightly beyond) was one of the most memorable things that we did. Don't miss it.

3  Thank George03
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao

Been to Hana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!