“Even Better the Second Time”
Review of Hana Kai Maui

Hana Kai Maui
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We loved our trip to Hana in 2008 and staying at the Hana Kai Maui for 3 days, so we wanted to do it again-and we rarely repeat vacations. We booked our second visit to the Hana Kai Maui for Feb. 13, 2014 and had such a wonderful time. (We wanted to book longer but they were already booked for Valentine's weekend-a popular time in the Hana area). This hotel is in a wonderful location. From the lanai you not only can hear the ocean waves but have a beautiful view of the beach. The rooms are very nicely decorated with large shutter doors in the rooms for visual privacy. We were able to stay in room #203 and also booked room #205 for another couple traveling with us. Room #203 has a completely outfitted kitchen. There was a futon-style couch in the living area and a nice size bathroom. The bed was comfy also. The lanai is by far our most favorite place to hang out to enjoy the thrill of being in Hana. The way the building has been built, each lanai is visually secluded. We found the guest registration office very friendly in helping us with our questions about activities, restaurants, etc. The hotel also is next to a black sand beach with very easy access for a walk along the beach. This is one location I still yet would like to come back to and stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed in #107. Super clean and had lots of extras, like spices to cook with and full sized bottles of shampoo, conditioner & body wash. They have quiet hours which are nice because everyone sleeps with the windows open. Very friendly and helpful staff, but they stay out of the way unless needed. Spent 2 nights and wish we stayed more. Partial ocean view still gave great ocean views. We traveled with a 3 year old and think it was good we stayed on the bottom floor. You can definately hear people above you so if traveling with little ones the ground floor keeps their noise to a minimum. Will definately be back!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in Feb the we have unit 5 probably the best view in the place. The unit is very well equipped with kitchen items but shop before you come as there are limited options in Hana.
Thee waves crashing all night might be a sleeping challenge but it is worth it
Not a lot of restaurant options so plan ahead
As for Hana and the area it is amazing so many beautiful sights and beaches we are going back for sure!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2014

It's been a couple of decades since I stayed overnight in Hana, and I was delighted to see how many more options there are for overnight stays. Some of them are well-beyond my price range. Hana Kai Maui is mid-range for the area. The owners and management have provided everything that you need in bathroom and kitchen (they even had a large umbrella available, which came in handy one morning when it was raining), and the staff was very pleasant and accommodating (including providing great directions when I called). The grounds are lovely. I was sorry that I didn't have time to sit outside in a lawn chair.

I was in a studio-loft which was more space than I needed, but I wanted the ocean view. Even though I was in the upper building where the entrance to the property is, there was no noise problem. Perhaps this was due in part to the fact that I kept the lanai door open. One of my favorite things in HI is being lulled to sleep by the sounds of the ocean. I highly recommend that particular unit. (I only mention the unit because TA indicated that the units are privately owned condos, apparently managed by different companies.)

One should definitely visit Hana for at least 2 nights, preferably 3. Driving up and back in a day does not allow you to truly appreciate the beauty of the area. In addition to more and better accommodations, two decades have brought longer open hours at stores, the filling station, and the couple of restaurants. However one aspect is unchanged, the quality of the dining. Had I realized that the kitchen was so well equipped, I would have at least been prepared to eat breakfast in. I did find that the Travaasa Hotel (just up the street, within walking distance) served great breakfast and the staff there were efficient and pleasant. I did not have dinner there, but some folks that I met at a sight-seeing spot said that it wasn't worth the price when I mentioned trying it because the Hana Ranch Restaurant food had not improved in two decades.

Bottom line: In spite of the quality of the food and price of the food in Hana, I definitely recommend spending more that a day in there. And I recommend the Hana Kai Maui based on my experience. BTW, I made my reservation at the hotel website, I didn't go through any management companies.

Room Tip: Go to the website and read the room descriptions carefully.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Janice S
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in number 4 because it was top floor and in the building closer to the ocean and on the end (#4 is great but #5 has the best view). The unit is a large studio with a living area and full kitchen, good closet space and a large lanai overlooking the Hana beach. I had 2 concerns. First, I arrived to find the refrigerator was broken. They were aware of this, as it was left shut off and with the door open, pending arrival of a repair person (which can take a week out in isolated Hana). There was no note or notice to me, just a small office-size substitute fridge placed in the living room. That was not good customer service. I went to the office in the morning, they were very nice and apologetic, and gave me 15% off, which was helpful because Hana Kai is quite expensive. The second was a towel with lipstick stains on it. I guess that can happen anywhere. Hana Kai is right on the rocky (no sand) bay beach, picturesque but not swimmable or usable. Difficult to walk on. Kids sometimes come there at night and build bonfires, other nights it's dark and quiet. Hana is definitely worth staying at at least one, preferably two, nights, and use as a base to see the Kipahulu area of Haleakala National Park and the beautiful, dramatic pools and waterfalls there. Other than that, nothing to do in Hana but it's lovely, quiet, laid back. Do not just drive the road to Hana and go back again the same day! Get out of your car! Take your time to really see this gorgeous coast.

Room Tip: choose top floor unit if you can
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Wish we had arranged to spend more time in Hana because of our experience at this hotel. Very friendly and accommodating. Peaceful and beautiful beachside setting. Most relaxing and restful night of our vacation!

Walls are a little thin but I can think of a lot worse things.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Very beautiful, black beach cove outside my windows and very good value since I stayed in 2 different apartments and they are fully equipped. Terrific spot for families interested in walking and relaxation.
I enjoyed coming to a more authentic Hawaiian local after the crowds and shops on the other side of Maui.

• Stayed: January 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Hana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!