Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Northwest
“Good Choice in Hana”
Reviewed February 24, 2008

I stayed at Hana Kai for two nights in room 205. It is an ocean view studio with a nice, large lanai. This room has a loft, but no way to get up there. It is not usable space. The room is for 2 people. The unit has been updated. The appliances are new and the shower has new tile. The bed is very comfortable. The view is very good. Hana Kai is a very good option for Hana. The two restaurants are pricey and usually require reservations. The Ranch restaurant is not open everyday. The General Store closes at 7pm and the small grocery store closes at 7:30pm. It is nice to know that there is a refergerator and stove and microwave in your room, in case you are hungry. So I recommend bring a few grocery items and getting milk and ice cream when you arrive. A quart of milk in the store was $3. Ice cream was pricey, too. We bought a few of the "Plate Lunches". They are big enough to share. They are really good and about $8 each. The hiking trails are often muddy. We brought old shoes along. I am glad we did not try to drive to Hana and back in one day. It would have been exhausting. Staying in Hana allowed us to enjoy a full day of exploring and a chance to rest before driving back.

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank crw25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed January 31, 2008

The Hana Kai was a delightful place to stay in Hana. I absolutely loved our room and the location right on Hana Bay couldn't be more perfect. We stayed in unit 202 and I would highly recommend this newly remodeled room. The bathroom was very cool with it's fresh new design and the shower was absolutely wonderful to come back to after muddy adventurous days in Hana. The small kitchen was the perfect size for me. I actually prefer not having a huge kitchen on vacation and find it unnecessary. This unit was very nice because it has a bed on the main level and another in the spacious loft.
Before we arrived we were a little nervous about the lack of AC because my boyfriend is ALWAYS hot, but it was not an issue at all. The trade winds blew in off of our lani and the sound of the ocean was blissfully relaxing. Speaking of the Lani, it was very spacious and our ocean view was wonderful.
My only complaint is the noise that travels in through the front door and how easy it is to hear your neighbors because everyone's windows are open. It's not that the walls are thin but that everyone is keeping their windows and lanis open so sound can sometimes travel too easily. The front door is a screen with wooden shades that you can close but it's not exactly sound proof from the noise of people traveling up and down the stairs and entering and exiting their rooms.
The grounds were very well maintained and the black sand beach was perfect for late night star gazing. All of the staff was very friendly and extremely helpful in every way.
I highly recommend this place if you are staying in Hana the price is reasonable especially for all that you get.

• Liked — The room was very nice and the location was perfect.
  • Disliked — The ability of noise to easily treavel through everyone's open windows
4 Thank Hill1727
Minnesota
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I stayed at the Hana Kai resort for a few days to get away from the hustle and bustle of the touristy part of the Maui. It was so refreshing to get away and spend a little time in the seclusion of Hana.

The road to Hana has over 600 turns but it is very beautiful, just take it slow and enjoy the beautiful ocean views and jungle scenery…unless you are the one driving, then you might want to watch the road :) .

I stayed in unit 206 and all I can say is “wow”. This unit must have been completely remodeled and is very nice. Things that made me smile about it: cleanliness, the view, Internet (Yes!), sleep number bed, stone tiled floors and granite counter tops, beautifully unique stone sink in the bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen and new appliances.

I had the opportunity to meet a few other vacationers that were staying in the Hana Kai and see the condos they were staying in. They were all pretty nice, but I felt really lucky that I was in 206. This place just seems to have been taken to the next level. It is a second floor unit, there are only 2 floors, and has a great view of Hana Bay. I could wake up in the morning, sit out on the lanai with a cup of coffee and watch the surfers and boogie boarders while breathing in the fresh Hana air...awesome ;-) Let’s just say, nobody had to tell me to relax…

I went to Hamoa beach a few times to go boogie boarding myself, which offered nice big waves and a beautiful sandy beach. There is also a very nice hike up the seven pools.

Hana seems to carry on with you after you leave more so than other places I have been and unit 206 was the perfect match for my memories.

• Liked — Quality and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Everything was greeat for me.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Midster1218
Hawaii
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Paradise found ... fancy it is not ... but if you want fancy then Hana is probably not your speed anyway ... we have stayed here many times ... it is always clean & confortable, great views & comfortable arrangements ... the 1 bedrooms are very large, full kitchen most equiped with everything you would need to serve a full meal ... and its a bargain price ... a weekend here with no TV is what everyone needs a few times a year!!!

2 Thank loopstravel
NE PA
Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed in room 205 which is an efficiency unit in the 2nd building back from the bay. This building sits higher on the hill so you have very nice views of the bay looking over the closer building. Our unit, although a bit dated, was clean and comfortable and exactly what we needed for our one night stay in Hana. The bed was comfortable and the sound of the waves and nice breeze was delightful.

This is an older wooden structure so there was a fair amount of noise from adjacent units. There is also parking lot both in front and behind this building so you get a fair amount of those annoying remote doorlock horn beeps and door/trunk slams.

I'm sure many enjoy the black sand beach but it reminded me too much of a NE PA strip mine site.

It's only about a 5 minute drive to Hotel Hana Maui where for $50/pp we enjoyed a great dinner.

Considering the limited options in Hana and the fact that they will rent for single nights this is a great place to spend the night after driving the Road To Hana.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Noise
2 Thank dfarr
New York
Reviewed January 18, 2008

We have spent three days at this lovely condo just after Christmas of 2007. Had a great time at this very nicely renovated condo (#206). Made me wish I had the same kitchen and bath at my place.

Lanai with a table for romantic dinners and awesome sunset views. I am not a good writer, but this is one of the very few places I would come back to from New York.

• Liked — Great renovated condo. Awesome views from lanai. Very quiet.
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
apple valley
Reviewed January 3, 2008

We had a week to spend in Maui on our recent vacation and decided to drive to Hana ( not bad drive, as you might have been told) !
We spent 3 gorgious days and nights a unit 206 which had totally been redecorated from floor to ceiling. We love the king size sleep comfort bed and all the new appliances. My husband was so happy to have a desk and internet access as well so he could keep up with his business some what!
The kitchen was so well equipped I felt like I was at home and not in a rental place at all! Thanks for remembering a winebottle opener too.
The view is wonderful and we ate our meals mostly on the patio and enjoyed that part so much!
Hana is a place no one should miss and the jungle and plants are so different from the rest of Maui !! Don't miss the sunrises and the art galleries ----- Cute "old" general store as well !!

Hated to leave for Minnesota and the cold winter. We will be back to Hana Kai 206 for sure as soon as we get a chan

vreny from Apple valley, MN

• Liked — the wonderful condition and remodel job---- unbelievable bathroom
  • Disliked — Can not find anything negative about our stay at 206
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank beachbumb7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao
Hana Oceanfront Cottages

Been to Hana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!