“Dream Wedding”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Kihei, Hawaii
“Dream Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Travaasa Hana is a retreat where you truly relax. The entire staff is amazing and made us feel like we were at home. We are still raving about Hubert! He did an outstanding job coordinating our dream wedding. We commend his efforts and professionalism. We already booked another stay in the same Sea Ranch Cottage for our one year anniversary!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Aloha PayneJM,

Congratulations again on your marriage! We are honored that you chose to spend this special occasion with us. Thank you for recognizing Hubert and tremendous job he does making our guests dreams come true.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your one year anniversary. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana.

Mahalo,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Bermuda Dunes, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

So quiet and relaxing. I have never been more relaxed! We're here on our anniversary and we're staying in a sea cottage, and it is great, so private! It's like your own condo, very nice place, huge patio with a nice Hawaiian breeze. Highly recommend this place if your looking for a romantic getaway. They have in room dining and a beach close by, they offer lots of activities and have a restaurant. Let's see what else can I say beautiful ocean view, beautiful pool. No tv but who needs one here. At first we were a little worried about that but a few days in we're not missing it. Lots to do here a great experience all around.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha Trese72,

Congratulations again on your anniversary and thank you for spending such a special occasion with us. The layout of Travaasa Hana allows our guests to experience an almost private resort feel, which is almost unheard of at most Maui resorts. We offer a variety (complimentary and paid) of activities to our guests on a daily basis or if you want to lay around and spend quality time with that special someone, this is the perfect place.

Thank you for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and we look forward to hosting you again.

Mahalo
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife found Travaasa through Conde Naste and we stayed there last week for four nights with our two young daughters. The best way to sum up our experience is to tell you we booked seven nights for next March (2015) before we departed.

Travaasa Hana is in all respects an exceptional place - in a truly beautiful part of the world, east Maui, Hana. We have experienced helpful staff before but the Travaasa staff members are different in that they exude happiness and positivity. They almost reflect back the relaxed, happy, sunny vibe of the region. I realize the food and beverage staff are technically employed separately from the resort staff. While I think this could present a potential wrinkle in service consistency our experience was that both teams worked very well together as an integrated whole. Ryan will forever remain our favorite bartender, Hana dad of three, and Hana raconteur.

If you don't have younger children I would recommend a sea cottage. If you like seafood I would stick with the fresh catch. All the dinners are pricey but on par with luxury hotels in Wailea - in other words, very expensive. Breakfast was exceptional and 100 times nicer than eating in a crowded resort dining room.

The Makana pool house staff is wonderful. We loved learning about the culture of the islands in between swims and relaxing poolside. Our girls spend hours coloring and crafting out of the sun.

I met with Danny the night before we left and we chatted about the resort and our memorable experience. We are grateful that places like Traavasa Hana exist... We will be dreaming about our return next March.

Travaasa Hana has what really appeals to us - great people, interesting culture, emphasis on fitness, locally inspired cuisine, and above all, real heart.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good!
Aloha Thirty-Something72,

Thank you for such a great review of your stay, I’m very pleased you all had a great and memorable experience! It was a pleasure having that opportunity to sit and chat about your Travaasa experience, I look forward to hosting you and your ohana again in March.

Thank you for mentioning the wonderful services the Makana team provided during your stay, they are very knowledgeable in our Hawaiian culture and it’s always their pleasure to immerse you in our experience.

Travaasa Hana is a very unique experience and it was a pleasure to have shared that experience with you and your ohana.

Mahalo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Travaasa is at the end of the road to Hana, a trip that includes over 600 turns on a coastal road. The trip itself is often just a day for tourists on Maui but that's a mistake. Travaasa manages to be both high end and laid back in one breathtaking spot. Take a few days and make this your base of adventure in Maui. Away from the crowds, the psudo hippies and the rest, Hana is a heavenly place and Travaasa is the best hotel there. Arnelle in the Hana Dry Goods Store on the property is exceptionally helpful, Doug at the pool house is a wealth of information about the hikes and nature around the area and Kanai, the yoga instructor is terrific. DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE.

Room Tip: The restaurant, run by another company, is slow and has a limited menu. Better to grab food for brea...
1 Thank Elizabeth E
Aloha Elizabeth E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Travaasa Hana experience with our Tripadvisor readers. I am very pleased you had a very memorable experience. Thank you for mentioning the exceptional service Arnelle, Doug and Kanai provided you during your stay. I hope to have the pleasure of hosting your again in the near future.

Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana.
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed 4 nights during spring break. We are returning guests. The property is beautiful and the hotel staff is wonderful. But, beware...the food is less than desirable. I would expect, that when paying a modest nightly room fee, that the food would be above average. It's not. In fact, it's awful. Our first night, I ordered a $50 steak off of the menu. It was so tough that I couldn't even cut through it. After waiting over an hour for dinner, I was frustrated and sent back my meal. I was never given an option of another steak or an option of something else.

I was told that one of the long standing restaurants in Lahaina manages the food service for the hotel. I don't think "manages" is an accurate assessment. Neglected would be a better choice.

Throughout our stay, we continually had slow food service, and watched several guests experience the same. It's incomprehensible that the Travaasa corporate people haven't recognized the terrible dining. I assume some "bean counter" in a corner office could justify saving a buck from outsourcing the food-but in my opinion, this decision completely ruins the rest of the experience. And if you dine with children, don't expect a friendly menu-peanut butter and jelly is it.

I expressed my concerns with Danny, who was gracious enough to hear me out. He responded that "he doesn't manage the restaurant but is responsible for it." I'm not sure what that means? I can also say, that in my previous stay, and from dining here in the past during several day trips to Hana, the food has always been excellent.

One other item to note: we had some unruly guests next door who caused quite a ruckus during our first night. Danny stepped up to the plate and upgraded us to a direct ocean front room. This was the highlight of the trip.

The hotel is beautiful. The staff is wonderful. But, I can't justify a return visit with such a poor dining option.

I'm not the type to write a review, whether it's positive or negative. But, after "simmering" I felt my experience needs to be shared. For the sake of the other employees, I hope the food situation is fixed soon. I believe the solvency of the hotel depends on it.

Room Tip: Ask if you could be upgraded to room 215! Supposedly this is a "model" room that is what t...
6 Thank Ted64116
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Aloha Ted64116,

I’m very disappointed that your entire dining experience was frustrating and not to your satisfaction. Please accept my apologies again.

Our food and beverage outlets are managed by one Hawaii’s most popular, respected and acclaimed restaurants in Hawaii, Longhi’s. Let me reassure you that I am working Longhi's to improve our food quality and service standards.

As per our conversation in my office, Travaasa Hana does not manage the day to day operations of our food and beverage outlets, but I am overall responsible in ensuring that Travaasa standards are maintained, which includes impeccable service standards and the very best quality of food and beverage we can offer our guests.

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade to our model room, but very disappointed to hear you won’t be staying with us again. If you ever have a change of heart, please give me a call and I’ll ensure your next stay will be your best.

Frechen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

if you go to Maui and stay in Lahaina, you will want to see Hana for a day- don´t do it in one day- it is all stress. just go there and stay for one night in the Travaasa Hotel Hana- best in a Sea Ranch Cottage, with outside whirlpool- it´s perfect!

Room Tip: sea Ranch Cottages are best!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andreaFrechen
Aloha andreaFrechen,

Thank you for such a great review of your overnight stay with us! The road to Hana is such a beautiful and picturesque drive that you will ever experience. It’s almost impossible to see and appreciate all of Hana in a day trip. I’m very pleased you enjoyed our beautiful Sea Ranch Cottages.

Okatie, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed in one of the cottages. It was very comfortable and roomy. The staff was cheerful and helpful. We were on the package that includes all meals and credits toward activities, including spa services. No tipping! The restaurant is run by an outside company and the staff there was not as good as the hotel, activities, and spa employees, but we had no complaints. The food got a little boring after 3 days, but was always pretty good. We would go back any time. It's not cheap, but is well worth it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alice R
Aloha Alice R,

Thank you for sharing your Travaasa Hana experience! Our tipping policy allows our guests to enjoy their vacation without worry of constantly having to tip every employee they encounter throughout their stay. Please accept my apologies that your dining experience was not to the level of your satisfaction. I have shared your dining comments with our Food and Beverage team.

Mahalo,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!