WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Los Angeles, California
“Hana Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I visited Travaasa for our honeymoon and it ended up being the perfect place for our first "real" vacation together. It was funny watching my guy let the fact that there are no tv's sink in, but it didn't last long. We fell right into the groove of the resort. We took full advantage of the grounds. We walked and explored. We at at the restaurant. I will agree that the prices were really expensive (it would be helpful if there was a variety of appetizers/dishes to help those who can't afford to spend $150 every night for dinner) but the food was so amazing so I can't complain too much. We loved listening to the ocean waves every night; getting massages at the spa and toasting champagne in the hot tub. It was magic. We stayed for three nights and it wasn't enough. By the end we were sad and sentimental. The staff was so amazing. We learned about family history...I swear I miss the staff, the stories, the experiences and the calm so very much.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closest to the water. We attempted to walk as much as possible since it means you...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Aloha Tish A

One of our goals at Travaasa Hotel Hana is create a unique experience where loved ones are able to connect with each other without the interruption of a television or radio in our guest rooms. Sounds like we accomplished our mission. Most of our team members, including myself are multi-generation employees of the property and will do our very best to make your stay a very memorable and enjoyable experience. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel-Hana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

we had such an amazing time here. hana is so unique from the rest of hawaii and i'm so glad we stayed here for a few nights. the resort pool is absolutely beautiful and we went there every day for an hour or two. the activities at the resort were a lot of fun, especially the bike ride tour with mapuana. she was so genuinely nice and patient, although that could be said for everyone else who works here. we also took archery lessons from doug, and that's how i found out i'm a terrible archer.

as for accommodations, this is where they start losing points. we stayed in a suite, and that was good enough for us. if i had kids, i'd probably stay in a cottage, but for 2 people, a suite is more than enough space. (unless you're huge, i guess.) however, it really wasn't that clean. we wore flip flops around the room our entire stay and didn't feel comfortable going barefoot in our own room. housekeeping takes care of the bath towels and toiletries, but that's it for the most part. the floors are noticeably dirty. but the goat's milk soap they have is AMAZING. oh, and make sure you know they don't have AC! for the prices they charge, we expected AC and were a bit surprised. thankfully it never got too humid or hot in the room. there is no tv either, but that is a welcome change.

we also got the WORST massages of our lives at the spa. we couldn't believe how terrible they were. i wanted to ask my therapist (liza/lison/?) to stop the massage mid-way because it was so bad, but i didn't want to get charged for a full massage without receiving one. so, we bore it out. this was such a downer. it was really annoying that our masseuses would receive automatic 18% tips on such horrible work. i'm not trying to get anyone fired, but they have no business being massage therapists. if you want a good massage, go to the sheraton in lahaina - random, but somehow they have the best massage therapists in maui.

the food at the restaurant was also pretty bad. the steak was not a good cut (fat all along one side) and although it looked medium rare as requested, it was pretty tough to chew. the salad was some iceberg lettuce wedges. because of this, we ate mostly local and it was great - braddah's hutt especially.

after reviewing this place, it's probably more like a 3.5 star. but despite the negatives, we still had a great vacation and i wish we could go back - i miss biking around without fear of getting killed by crazy drivers. and that pool - i'm pretty sure it's what heaven is like.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elaine H
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Aloha ElaineH,

Thank you for pointing Mapuana and Doug on the fine job they did making your stay a memorable one.

Our Sea Ranch Cottages are modeled after the turn of the century plantation homes of Hawaii with large open living area, a multitude of windows, ceiling fans and the trade winds to keep you cool. Our Reservationist are usually very thorough explaining our cottage amenities, especially about our rooms being without AC and our website explains that as well. It sounds like we did not properly communicate that message to you, please accept my apologies.

Most of our Sea Ranch Cottages, especially the suite you stayed in are a “stones throw” distance away from the ocean, which will often attract the sea breeze to settle on the cottage floor continuously throughout the day. We’ll do a better job keeping those floors clean.

I would like to apologize about your negative spa experience. Liza and the rest of the therapist are normally very good at what they do, as they were recognized by Travel and Leisure for being the best Spa in Hawaii in 2011 and 2012.

I have spoken to our chef regarding your comments about your negative dining experience and extends his deepest apologies.

I hope you give us another chance to make up for those unfortunate experiences you pointed out. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana.
Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

...though I hope the large Travaasa company will work hard not to allow it to become just another resort. While the remoteness of Hana works in their favor, it did seem at times that the staff was not communicating with each other about various food and activity options and the prices are a bit outlandish--especially for the food. But, these are quibbles; in fact, I have never stayed anywhere in the world where the staff was as friendly--and not in a generic "have a nice day" sort of way. They all seemed to know who we were and seemed as well to genuinely want us to enjoy our stay. Many, if not most, of the staff are from Hana and their pride in their home town suffuses the way they do their jobs.

It's no secret that Hana is among the most beautiful places on earth and others have covered the facilities, which are pretty much perfect. My one serious reservation about the place has also been covered by others, but I'll add my opinion. The main dining room is lovely and absurdly expensive. Fair enough; the hotel is expensive and so I expected the dining room to be as well. What I object to is the dearth of options. The Paniolo Lounge serves the same menu--unless you can ferret out the information that there is an "ice bar" serving sashimi, etc. Some staff happily shared that information; others didn't. The Hana Ranch restaurant is marginally less expensive, but one could hardly call it an economical choice. Hana itself has no dinner options, though plenty of casual beach and roadside places for lunch, so one is "trapped" at the hotel for dinner (with the notable exception of a roadside pizza place about three miles away that is open on Friday and Saturday nights.). Dare I mention that a sandwich delivered to the pool with a Diet Coke cost $43.00?

I understand that everything is expensive in Hana because everything has to get there, but I don't like feeling "trapped" and I do not believe it would be all that difficult--for example--to turn the Lounge into something more reasonable and casual. I suspect the hotel would benefit in a number of ways--including financially-were this to occur. There has to be an alternative to a $48 piece of grilled fish.

Finally, I'd hate to see the resort resemble a Four Seasons Five Star, pristine, everything dialed kind of place. I think the staff and management do a wonderful job of balancing excellent service with a certain casualness. But, I did have the feeling at times that not everyone was communicating with one another and that seems easy enough to fix. And, why not have fresh flowers in the rooms?

All of that said, it's an exquisite spot, with a wonderful staff and I'd happily return--if I can afford it.

Room Tip: In this case, you really do get what you pay for. A "Sea Cottage" as close as possible to...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cardinal74
Aloha Jmaksik and mahalo for making Travaasa Hana part of your Hawaiian experience! Thank you for recognizing our team members who truly embody the spirit of aloha and will do what it takes to make your stay a very pleasant and memorable experience.

I would like to apologize for our lack of communication that you pointed out, which has been shared with our team members as an area to improve. Our Chef and Food and Beverage team has done an excellent job in creating a well rounded, delicious rotating menu for all of our guests to enjoy. But our job is never done as we find ways to improve our guest service standards and Food and Beverage quality.

We at Travaasa Hotel Hana will never compare ourselves to Four Seasons, as we pride ourselves on being a very unique experiential resort where you can enjoy the company of your loved ones without distractions, explore the raw beauty of Hana and experience culture that way it was meant to be experienced.

We look forward to your return!
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed in late August, in sea ranch cottage. Serene, beautiful, spacious room and lanai, great pool and hottub, great activities and amenities, both the greater Hana area and this hotel make for a truly wonderful retreat. The other reviews cover all the great things about this property, so I'll focus on some constructive suggestions for improvement. First, the reservations process is a mess. Apparently it has all been consolidated in Texas. It took us probably 10 phone calls and emails to confirm what we had. Seemed to be a different story each time we called. The email confirmation you receive says nothing about the details of your reservation - like activity credit amounts, food credit amounts, etc. We finally had to send them a lengthy, detailed email of what we thought we had, so that they would reply and say "yes that's correct." Also, I don't get the impression the Texas folks handling reservations really have intimate knowledge of the Hana property. Lots of confusion about sea ranch cottage room and view specifics. I've heard identical stories from friends, and friends of friends, who have stayed there within the last couple of months. Second, food options are sorely limited. Odd, but the length of your stay in Hana may be a function of meal options for dinner. The hotel restaurant was quite good in terms of quality, but service was terribly slow, and even though it is remote Hana, the food didn't warrant the $40-45 entrée prices and $15-20 appetizer prices for what were small portions. I wouldn't eat there more than once for dinner. Surprisingly, there is no casual option on property for dinner - you can eat in the bar, but same menu and same prices as the restaurant which makes no sense. How about some big salad and burger or fish sandwich or pasta options for dinner in the bar? You'd get more dinner customers, and sell a lot more drinks! Hana Ranch Restaurant nearby was surprisingly good, but again not sure I'd eat there more than once for dinner. Those are the only options in town for dinner.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Aloha Dmoser and Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana! I appreciate your constructive comments regarding our Reservations department, which is constantly evolving and finding new ways to improve our customer service. We have a great training program in place, and part of the training involves our reservationists from Texas spending time in Hana, gain intimate knowledge of not just the property, but Hana in general. That first hand knowledge and experience is ultimately shared with our potential guests during the reservations process. Are we perfect no, will it improve over time, definitely.

We have an excellent new chef in Derek Watanabe, who has been with us for two weeks and one of his priorities is to improve our rotating menu so our guests will experience a different menu option on a daily basis.

One of the charms of Hana is its remote location, far removed from all the hustle and bustle and tourist traps of the south and west side of Maui. With that in mind, some of our food products from our local farmers and other vendors are trucked over the Hana Highway on a daily basis, which you can imagine can be quite expensive. Even with our transportation challenges, our food prices are very comparable to most resorts on Maui.

Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and look forward to welcoming you back!
Lahaina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband & I and family spent my bday there. I cannot say enough about the staff from A- Z was above and beyond and all about the guest. Each and every employee was nicer then the next. The restaurant was great. The grounds are fab. Pools great.
It was perfect and made me feel like a queen.
Only negative I could say is would like Internet in the rooms. Sometimes u just want to lounge in the room.

Room Tip: Anywhere is great
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha store2011! I would like to say Mahalo for bringing your family from the Westside, it’s always great to share a little bit of paradise with our Kama’aina. Our team members are the very true essence of aloha and thank you for recognizing that. They are always willing to share their culture and will definitely go out of their way to make your stay and enjoyable one. We deliberately chose not to install WiFi in our guest rooms so that our guests can celebrate being unplugged, experience the sense of tranquility and to enjoy the company of their loved ones. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at hotel Travaasa. The place is beautiful and the staff was very nice.

However, my complaint is that they surprise you with a 14% fee when you arrive if you book through Hotels.com. There was no email about the fee in advance. No phone call about the fee in advance. They just tell you have to pay it when you get there. Given the price of rooms the 14% fee translated to about $75. That's an important disclosure in my opinion.

I'm very disappointed that they employ the hidden fee trick.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank scottorn
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana! It’s unfortunate that Hotels.com failed to properly inform you about our automatic gratuity charge at the time of booking, which allows our guests to enjoy their vacation without worry of tipping every employee they come in contact with. As of August 1, we eliminated the extra gratuity charge you are speaking of, which will make future bookings through an online travel agent a better experience. We continue to be a non-tipping property (with the exception of food and beverage and Spa). We hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Lahaina, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is my fourth or fifth time staying at Travaasa Hotel Hana and as usual I had a lovely experience. I am always awed and impressed by the level of service and attention to detail at the hotel, not to mention the many amenities, classes, and activities to partake in at the hotel and through the activities program. Hamoa beach is my favorite beach on island and its so nice to have the partnership between Travaasa Hotel Hana and Hamoa beach with shower/bathroom facilities and beach lounge chair rental. In addition, the juicing class I participated in yesterday was very informative and interesting and it was great to meet new people. The rooms are extremely spacious, well decorated with local works of art, and the welcome is always so nice with fresh mango or banana bread and complimentary waters, teas, and coffee. The staff is very accomodating with special room requests as I am severely allergic to down feather pillows and bedding and needed a hypo-allergenically prepared room. The restaurant and bar on-site are phenomenal, using all the freshest ingredients and organics when possible. Shopping on site is varied from the Spa store to the hotel store to the Hana Coast Gallery which has some of the most beautiful and interesting works of art from local artists, that I have encountered. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Hana and wanting to stay over night for a true Hana experience.

Room Tip: The garden suites are reasonably priced and very spacious.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha and mahalo for making the trip from the Westside! It’s always great to see our Kama’aina enjoying a piece of paradise right in their “backyard”. We appreciate your fabulous comments about your stay and hope to welcome you back for your sixth visit! A Hui Hou
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!