“Beautiful Hotel but Surprise Fee is Disapointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
San Francisco, California
“Beautiful Hotel but Surprise Fee is Disapointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at hotel Travaasa. The place is beautiful and the staff was very nice.

However, my complaint is that they surprise you with a 14% fee when you arrive if you book through Hotels.com. There was no email about the fee in advance. No phone call about the fee in advance. They just tell you have to pay it when you get there. Given the price of rooms the 14% fee translated to about $75. That's an important disclosure in my opinion.

I'm very disappointed that they employ the hidden fee trick.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank scottorn
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana! It’s unfortunate that Hotels.com failed to properly inform you about our automatic gratuity charge at the time of booking, which allows our guests to enjoy their vacation without worry of tipping every employee they come in contact with. As of August 1, we eliminated the extra gratuity charge you are speaking of, which will make future bookings through an online travel agent a better experience. We continue to be a non-tipping property (with the exception of food and beverage and Spa). We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Lahaina, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is my fourth or fifth time staying at Travaasa Hotel Hana and as usual I had a lovely experience. I am always awed and impressed by the level of service and attention to detail at the hotel, not to mention the many amenities, classes, and activities to partake in at the hotel and through the activities program. Hamoa beach is my favorite beach on island and its so nice to have the partnership between Travaasa Hotel Hana and Hamoa beach with shower/bathroom facilities and beach lounge chair rental. In addition, the juicing class I participated in yesterday was very informative and interesting and it was great to meet new people. The rooms are extremely spacious, well decorated with local works of art, and the welcome is always so nice with fresh mango or banana bread and complimentary waters, teas, and coffee. The staff is very accomodating with special room requests as I am severely allergic to down feather pillows and bedding and needed a hypo-allergenically prepared room. The restaurant and bar on-site are phenomenal, using all the freshest ingredients and organics when possible. Shopping on site is varied from the Spa store to the hotel store to the Hana Coast Gallery which has some of the most beautiful and interesting works of art from local artists, that I have encountered. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Hana and wanting to stay over night for a true Hana experience.

Room Tip: The garden suites are reasonably priced and very spacious.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aloha and mahalo for making the trip from the Westside! It’s always great to see our Kama’aina enjoying a piece of paradise right in their “backyard”. We appreciate your fabulous comments about your stay and hope to welcome you back for your sixth visit! A Hui Hou
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were delayed one day getting there because of tropical storm Flossie, but driving the Hana Highway or "Road to Hana" was beautiful. The resort property is vast, and our Sea Ranch Cottage was very large and comfortable. The resort provided coffee made in Hana with a bean grinder and delicious banana bread. The cottage (509) had a great room with desk, sofa, table & chairs, bar area, a massive bedroom with plenty of storage, and a wonderful, large bathroom with soaking tub and very good quality toiletries. The lanai was also huge, with table & chairs, chaise lounges, and a hot tub. The views were unbelievable - right at the ocean and pastured horses. The staff seemed so happy and were very friendly, and the food was terrific, usually fresh-caught fish. There's a more casual restaurant up the road, which I enjoyed more than my husband did. A manager's cocktail gathering acquainted us with the art gallery on the property, and we were very impressed with all of the art. The gallery manager was warm and friendly, and we bought a small piece to be shipped home.
We stayed four nights, planning to see Wailea next. My husband may have enjoyed Hana more than anywhere we went, but my relaxation mode only lasted so long. There were activities offered, such as horseback, bikes to ride, lei making lessons, yoga, and two big pools, but I was ready for something more adventurous. The ocean was beautiful, but there was no access from the property. We drove several miles from the resort to Hamoa Beach. It was nice, with mostly just the hotel guests. We later discovered that the public Hana Beach had shops and food vendors, and appeared to be more fun. Our last day was not my favorite. At breakfast, in the open-air dining area, some menacing birds wouldn't stop attacking our food and my hair. The staff ran all over the place trying to get rid of them, but it didn't stop them. One of them was sickly and doing disgusting things, so I just left. We went back to our cottage, planning to read and relax on the lanai before leaving for the other side of Maui, but maintenance workers were all around us, hammering and sawing on a smaller lanai connected to ours, and mowers and weed trimmers worked right off of the deck. I was uncomfortable in swimwear and reading was difficult with these distractions, even indoors. We were awakened each morning by a crying baby in a nearby cottage. Didn't have a problem with it, but the website says Sea Ranch Cottages are for ages 16 and up. We did meet some nice people who frequent this resort and love it, but who are elderly, and enjoy the remote feeling. I had expected something more rugged, but it was pristine and luxurious. After four days, I was happy to move toward a little more action.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Cottage 509.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colokelly
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for your great comments! 509 is one of my favorite rooms with expansive views of the pasture where our horses are kept, the Pacific Ocean and the Big Island. Sounds like you had a great time at our weekly cocktail reception, which is also a great way to meet other guests and members of our management team. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and we look forward to your return.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel and staff are amazing!!! The hotel has been my getaway for about 25 years and the experience there is unique and extraordinary!!!! Go for the Sea Ranch Cottages! They are quiet, unique and worth the bucks! When I read negative reviews about lack of air-conditioning, television, etc. I tend to almost laugh at the stupidity of those reviewers. Don't they do their homework? I've been there many times and I've also done the 4 Seasons, which is great in an entirely different way. The hotel has gone through many owners and management throughout the years and through its ups and downs, the magic remains. This property has always been in the "luxe" category.....It remains my favorite place to get away. I recommend at least a week to wind down. If you don't have the time, then go to Four Seasons Wailea. It's slick and perfect like a good Four Seasons should be. Take the time for Hana... major magic! Relax and go with the vibe! I recommend the drive for a first visit. After that, take the puddle jumper from Kahalui!

Room Tip: The cottages are worth the extra bucks.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jake R
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Aloha! I would to extend my mahalo for your business for over the past two plus decades, it’s because of you and others like you who keep returning that help keep the magic of Hana alive. Thank you again for being part of our ohana and we look forward to your next Travaasa Hana experience.
Newport Beach CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent our whole time here I with it raining so it was a bit disappointing, there is very little to do in Hana anyway.. With the rain it was really quiet. Our room was clean, large and well appointed with a lovely ocean view. It was delightful to sit on our veranda and watch the storm.
The service at the hotel was friendly but not as good as the price we were paying.
The property was very spread out and we had to call a shuttle to get us around due to the rain. The shuttle was prompt. We were celebrating our anniversary which was recognized by a bottle of champaign in our room and a nice note from the manager. And flowered on our dining table.
The activities schedule had the wrong time for the entertainment in the bar. So we were an hour earlier. Hana is a bit quiet ( read boring) for us. Three shops and two grocery stores. We probably won't come back. However it would be a quiet place to get away from it all.
No air conditioning or tv.many people were on there cell phones in the dining room which I found hilarious. No wifi in rooms either.no mildew smell in our room.pleased by that.

Room Tip: Do splurge and get an ocean view for this place.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank harrodsfan
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Aloha and thank you for spending such a special occasion with us and recognizing our wonderful service throughout your stay. Unfortunately, Travaasa Hotel Hana is not for every traveler and I’m sorry you decided not to visit us again. Your statement is absolutely correct; Travaasa Hana is a place to get away from it all. We pride ourselves on being a very unique destination and completely opposite of those crowded resorts with an assembly line like hospitality experience.
washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Facing a very stressful business meeting in Oahu, I knew I would need some serious down time afterwards and friends suggested Maui. I didn't want to do the usual ritzy tourist hotels but wasnt sure where else to look. luckily I stumbled upon a new book about Georgia O'Keefe's travels in Hawaii and her stay in Hana in 1939. As a painter I was intrigued, so I began to explore and discovered Travaasa Hana, and immediately booked a 6 night stay in one of the sea ranch cottages. My goal was to get back into painting (which is difficult with my hectic job), totally disconnect from work, relax and enjoy some "me" time. It was exactly what I hoped for, and my only regret was that I didn't stay longer! Between time spent sketching and painting and visits to the spa, the days flew by.

As others have mentioned, the hotel staff is wonderfully warm and friendly. This includes the terrific folks who drive the carts, the friendly staff in the bar and the special therapists at the spa. I especially enjoyed the Thai massage and aquatic renewal sessions, plus the outdoor shower was delightful!

I stayed in cottage 509 - one of the spa suites. (Someone has posted a YouTube video of this one) It was lovely and open with an unimpeded view of the ocean and the pasture where the horses wandered by each morning. I had room to sketch on the lanai out of the sun, and enjoyed an evening ritual of a glass of wine in the hotub looking at the amazing starfield. (I recommend the Star Walk app for iPad or iPhone - you point the camera at the sky and it it labels all the stars and constellations you see. What seemed to be clouds amongst the stars was actually galaxies!) I left the doors open the whole time and loved listening to the waves crashing at night- or the rain.

I frequently ate in the bar (same menu as the restaurant) and the dinner menu changes nightly, but also ate at the Thai place behind the activity center and stocked up on some food at the Hana Ranch Store (which I thought had a much better selection than Hasegawa, especially for decent wine and cheeses.) Speaking of which, you can get quality wine there (e.g. Ferrari Carano or a bottle of Prosecco) but you will pay for the privilege. Room service delivery was prompt and the food was hot.

Housekeeping came by twice a day, including an evening turn down service and they were efficient and friendly.

To address the few complainers: are there imperfections? Yes, if you want to look for them. If you want the Ritz Carlton with polished perfection, then this is not the place for you. Although I understand they are doing a complete makeover of the sea cottages (the left half of the cottage complex was closed for renovations) you are still in the jungle.

I think I was the only solo traveller on property, but as others have mentioned, during the day you don't see that many folks about. But the guests included a full range of young couples, families and older couples. I took advantage of Mokulele Air and arrived in 20" from Kahalui. And WOW the view coming down the coastline was amazing.

All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful trip. I hated to leave and look forward to coming back one day. If I had one do-over, I might come earlier in the year, as August is hotter than I like. But even that couldn't spoil the pleasure of being there.

Room Tip: Sea cottages are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Nancy M
Mahalo for such a great review!! Hana has made such a memorable impact on numerous artists, writers, musicians and poets that some of them have made Hana their permanent home. I fly Mokulele at least twice a month myself and it’s a great alternative to getting into Hana with amazing views of dozens of waterfalls, coves, beaches and natural ocean arches you will not see driving the highway. I’ll pass along the good word to my father who operates the Hana Ranch Store about his wine and cheese selection. We look forward to your next Travaasa Hana experience!
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights and really loved the tranquility and uniqueness. The food was exceptional, as well. Innovative and local and very fresh. We took yoga classes and had wonderful hot stone massages both days. The accommodations are lovely, comfortable and very private. Neat place!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha! It sounds like you had an excellent girl’s getaway experience. We’re very pleased you enjoyed the yoga classes and massages, which is just a small part of our phenomenal activities schedule. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and we look forward to your next girl’s getaway!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!