“A very special place”

Travaasa Hana, Maui
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel and staff are amazing!!! The hotel has been my getaway for about 25 years and the experience there is unique and extraordinary!!!! Go for the Sea Ranch Cottages! They are quiet, unique and worth the bucks! When I read negative reviews about lack of air-conditioning, television, etc. I tend to almost laugh at the stupidity of those reviewers. Don't they do their homework? I've been there many times and I've also done the 4 Seasons, which is great in an entirely different way. The hotel has gone through many owners and management throughout the years and through its ups and downs, the magic remains. This property has always been in the "luxe" category.....It remains my favorite place to get away. I recommend at least a week to wind down. If you don't have the time, then go to Four Seasons Wailea. It's slick and perfect like a good Four Seasons should be. Take the time for Hana... major magic! Relax and go with the vibe! I recommend the drive for a first visit. After that, take the puddle jumper from Kahalui!

Room Tip: The cottages are worth the extra bucks.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jake R
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Aloha! I would to extend my mahalo for your business for over the past two plus decades, it’s because of you and others like you who keep returning that help keep the magic of Hana alive. Thank you again for being part of our ohana and we look forward to your next Travaasa Hana experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,276)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent our whole time here I with it raining so it was a bit disappointing, there is very little to do in Hana anyway.. With the rain it was really quiet. Our room was clean, large and well appointed with a lovely ocean view. It was delightful to sit on our veranda and watch the storm.
The service at the hotel was friendly but not as good as the price we were paying.
The property was very spread out and we had to call a shuttle to get us around due to the rain. The shuttle was prompt. We were celebrating our anniversary which was recognized by a bottle of champaign in our room and a nice note from the manager. And flowered on our dining table.
The activities schedule had the wrong time for the entertainment in the bar. So we were an hour earlier. Hana is a bit quiet ( read boring) for us. Three shops and two grocery stores. We probably won't come back. However it would be a quiet place to get away from it all.
No air conditioning or tv.many people were on there cell phones in the dining room which I found hilarious. No wifi in rooms either.no mildew smell in our room.pleased by that.

Room Tip: Do splurge and get an ocean view for this place.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank harrodsfan
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Aloha and thank you for spending such a special occasion with us and recognizing our wonderful service throughout your stay. Unfortunately, Travaasa Hotel Hana is not for every traveler and I’m sorry you decided not to visit us again. Your statement is absolutely correct; Travaasa Hana is a place to get away from it all. We pride ourselves on being a very unique destination and completely opposite of those crowded resorts with an assembly line like hospitality experience.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Facing a very stressful business meeting in Oahu, I knew I would need some serious down time afterwards and friends suggested Maui. I didn't want to do the usual ritzy tourist hotels but wasnt sure where else to look. luckily I stumbled upon a new book about Georgia O'Keefe's travels in Hawaii and her stay in Hana in 1939. As a painter I was intrigued, so I began to explore and discovered Travaasa Hana, and immediately booked a 6 night stay in one of the sea ranch cottages. My goal was to get back into painting (which is difficult with my hectic job), totally disconnect from work, relax and enjoy some "me" time. It was exactly what I hoped for, and my only regret was that I didn't stay longer! Between time spent sketching and painting and visits to the spa, the days flew by.

As others have mentioned, the hotel staff is wonderfully warm and friendly. This includes the terrific folks who drive the carts, the friendly staff in the bar and the special therapists at the spa. I especially enjoyed the Thai massage and aquatic renewal sessions, plus the outdoor shower was delightful!

I stayed in cottage 509 - one of the spa suites. (Someone has posted a YouTube video of this one) It was lovely and open with an unimpeded view of the ocean and the pasture where the horses wandered by each morning. I had room to sketch on the lanai out of the sun, and enjoyed an evening ritual of a glass of wine in the hotub looking at the amazing starfield. (I recommend the Star Walk app for iPad or iPhone - you point the camera at the sky and it it labels all the stars and constellations you see. What seemed to be clouds amongst the stars was actually galaxies!) I left the doors open the whole time and loved listening to the waves crashing at night- or the rain.

I frequently ate in the bar (same menu as the restaurant) and the dinner menu changes nightly, but also ate at the Thai place behind the activity center and stocked up on some food at the Hana Ranch Store (which I thought had a much better selection than Hasegawa, especially for decent wine and cheeses.) Speaking of which, you can get quality wine there (e.g. Ferrari Carano or a bottle of Prosecco) but you will pay for the privilege. Room service delivery was prompt and the food was hot.

Housekeeping came by twice a day, including an evening turn down service and they were efficient and friendly.

To address the few complainers: are there imperfections? Yes, if you want to look for them. If you want the Ritz Carlton with polished perfection, then this is not the place for you. Although I understand they are doing a complete makeover of the sea cottages (the left half of the cottage complex was closed for renovations) you are still in the jungle.

I think I was the only solo traveller on property, but as others have mentioned, during the day you don't see that many folks about. But the guests included a full range of young couples, families and older couples. I took advantage of Mokulele Air and arrived in 20" from Kahalui. And WOW the view coming down the coastline was amazing.

All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful trip. I hated to leave and look forward to coming back one day. If I had one do-over, I might come earlier in the year, as August is hotter than I like. But even that couldn't spoil the pleasure of being there.

Room Tip: Sea cottages are wonderful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Nancy M

Mahalo for such a great review!! Hana has made such a memorable impact on numerous artists, writers, musicians and poets that some of them have made Hana their permanent home. I fly Mokulele at least twice a month myself and it’s a great alternative to getting into Hana with amazing views of dozens of waterfalls, coves, beaches and natural ocean arches you will not see driving the highway. I’ll pass along the good word to my father who operates the Hana Ranch Store about his wine and cheese selection. We look forward to your next Travaasa Hana experience!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights and really loved the tranquility and uniqueness. The food was exceptional, as well. Innovative and local and very fresh. We took yoga classes and had wonderful hot stone massages both days. The accommodations are lovely, comfortable and very private. Neat place!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Aloha! It sounds like you had an excellent girl’s getaway experience. We’re very pleased you enjoyed the yoga classes and massages, which is just a small part of our phenomenal activities schedule. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and we look forward to your next girl’s getaway!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I love this place. Beautiful, serene, relaxing. A highlight for us was going net fishing with staff member and local Hawaiian Andrew Park Jr. He's a gem of a man, and was very patient and giving to us and our children. Net fishing is surprisingly complex. Andrew is a master, and we were soon (under his tutelage) casting into the sea from a black sand beach as locals cheered encouragement. A really wonderful day. He has really "made" our experience to this idyllic section of Maui.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David G
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Aloha and Mahalo for recognizing Andrew and the job that he does so well and his willingness to share his passion of the ocean and knowledge of our Hawaiian culture with all of our guests. I’ve shared your comments with all of our team members and Andrew sends his thanks! Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was very lucky this year that I chose to stay in this hotel, honestly I don't know were to begin. The service is simply excellent, everyone is eager and happy to help you, escort you in any way they can. The rooms are big (not huge) and they have a big bathroom. Always very clean and in a very good position the hotel is ideal for relaxing and escaping from everything (as the whole island). It also offers a great (but expensive a little bit) spa, a pool and activities for children and adults (which are great). So If you have the money to give it certainly worth it even for 3 days (as we went).

Room Tip: I would recommend the garden view suite for families because the pool and the activities center is c...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Aloha and a correction to your statement, It is we who were lucky to have been given the opportunity to host you at Travaasa Hotel Hana. We’re very delighted your stay was a pleasant one. Our Spa has always been recognized as one of the top spas in Hawaii and from the sound of it, your experience will attest that accolade. Mahalo for your comments!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I've never had a worse service experience in my life. A hotel staff member took it upon herself to tell my 7 year old twin girls that children just like them had been taken to the Red Sand Beach and were killed in a horrific accident. Apparently, there was an accident there in 2012 that resulted in a lawsuit which resulted in the inability for anyone at the hotel to provide directions to the area -- which I get. But this unsolicited 'advisory' was completely uncalled for and resulted in two little girls that were upset all morning. As for the property itself, it's no 5 star hotel. I'm used to staying in Four Seasons, Fairmonts and W's and Travaasa isn't in their universe. Paying $700 a night and not having Air Conditioning when it's 85 degrees outside disqualified them in my book. The bed was hard. The grounds aren't anything to write home about. The furniture in the lobby looks like it's from a 1950s bank lobby (and not in a cool post-modern way). The one worthwhile investment is the restaurant -- the seafood risotto was some of the best I've ever had and the breakfast was out of this world. So, if you feel compelled to check it out - go for the food but don't waste your money on a room and certainly avoid their hotel staff at all costs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Haley R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
47 mi away
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!