“Total relaxation in Hana”

Travaasa Hana, Maui
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
washington, DC
“Total relaxation in Hana”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Facing a very stressful business meeting in Oahu, I knew I would need some serious down time afterwards and friends suggested Maui. I didn't want to do the usual ritzy tourist hotels but wasnt sure where else to look. luckily I stumbled upon a new book about Georgia O'Keefe's travels in Hawaii and her stay in Hana in 1939. As a painter I was intrigued, so I began to explore and discovered Travaasa Hana, and immediately booked a 6 night stay in one of the sea ranch cottages. My goal was to get back into painting (which is difficult with my hectic job), totally disconnect from work, relax and enjoy some "me" time. It was exactly what I hoped for, and my only regret was that I didn't stay longer! Between time spent sketching and painting and visits to the spa, the days flew by.

As others have mentioned, the hotel staff is wonderfully warm and friendly. This includes the terrific folks who drive the carts, the friendly staff in the bar and the special therapists at the spa. I especially enjoyed the Thai massage and aquatic renewal sessions, plus the outdoor shower was delightful!

I stayed in cottage 509 - one of the spa suites. (Someone has posted a YouTube video of this one) It was lovely and open with an unimpeded view of the ocean and the pasture where the horses wandered by each morning. I had room to sketch on the lanai out of the sun, and enjoyed an evening ritual of a glass of wine in the hotub looking at the amazing starfield. (I recommend the Star Walk app for iPad or iPhone - you point the camera at the sky and it it labels all the stars and constellations you see. What seemed to be clouds amongst the stars was actually galaxies!) I left the doors open the whole time and loved listening to the waves crashing at night- or the rain.

I frequently ate in the bar (same menu as the restaurant) and the dinner menu changes nightly, but also ate at the Thai place behind the activity center and stocked up on some food at the Hana Ranch Store (which I thought had a much better selection than Hasegawa, especially for decent wine and cheeses.) Speaking of which, you can get quality wine there (e.g. Ferrari Carano or a bottle of Prosecco) but you will pay for the privilege. Room service delivery was prompt and the food was hot.

Housekeeping came by twice a day, including an evening turn down service and they were efficient and friendly.

To address the few complainers: are there imperfections? Yes, if you want to look for them. If you want the Ritz Carlton with polished perfection, then this is not the place for you. Although I understand they are doing a complete makeover of the sea cottages (the left half of the cottage complex was closed for renovations) you are still in the jungle.

I think I was the only solo traveller on property, but as others have mentioned, during the day you don't see that many folks about. But the guests included a full range of young couples, families and older couples. I took advantage of Mokulele Air and arrived in 20" from Kahalui. And WOW the view coming down the coastline was amazing.

All in all, it was an absolutely wonderful trip. I hated to leave and look forward to coming back one day. If I had one do-over, I might come earlier in the year, as August is hotter than I like. But even that couldn't spoil the pleasure of being there.

Room Tip: Sea cottages are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Nancy M
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Mahalo for such a great review!! Hana has made such a memorable impact on numerous artists, writers, musicians and poets that some of them have made Hana their permanent home. I fly Mokulele at least twice a month myself and it’s a great alternative to getting into Hana with amazing views of dozens of waterfalls, coves, beaches and natural ocean arches you will not see driving the highway. I’ll pass along the good word to my father who operates the Hana Ranch Store about his wine and cheese selection. We look forward to your next Travaasa Hana experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for two nights and really loved the tranquility and uniqueness. The food was exceptional, as well. Innovative and local and very fresh. We took yoga classes and had wonderful hot stone massages both days. The accommodations are lovely, comfortable and very private. Neat place!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha! It sounds like you had an excellent girl’s getaway experience. We’re very pleased you enjoyed the yoga classes and massages, which is just a small part of our phenomenal activities schedule. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hotel Hana and we look forward to your next girl’s getaway!
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I love this place. Beautiful, serene, relaxing. A highlight for us was going net fishing with staff member and local Hawaiian Andrew Park Jr. He's a gem of a man, and was very patient and giving to us and our children. Net fishing is surprisingly complex. Andrew is a master, and we were soon (under his tutelage) casting into the sea from a black sand beach as locals cheered encouragement. A really wonderful day. He has really "made" our experience to this idyllic section of Maui.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David G
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for recognizing Andrew and the job that he does so well and his willingness to share his passion of the ocean and knowledge of our Hawaiian culture with all of our guests. I’ve shared your comments with all of our team members and Andrew sends his thanks! Thank you again for your comments.
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was very lucky this year that I chose to stay in this hotel, honestly I don't know were to begin. The service is simply excellent, everyone is eager and happy to help you, escort you in any way they can. The rooms are big (not huge) and they have a big bathroom. Always very clean and in a very good position the hotel is ideal for relaxing and escaping from everything (as the whole island). It also offers a great (but expensive a little bit) spa, a pool and activities for children and adults (which are great). So If you have the money to give it certainly worth it even for 3 days (as we went).

Room Tip: I would recommend the garden view suite for families because the pool and the activities center is c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha and a correction to your statement, It is we who were lucky to have been given the opportunity to host you at Travaasa Hotel Hana. We’re very delighted your stay was a pleasant one. Our Spa has always been recognized as one of the top spas in Hawaii and from the sound of it, your experience will attest that accolade. Mahalo for your comments!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I've never had a worse service experience in my life. A hotel staff member took it upon herself to tell my 7 year old twin girls that children just like them had been taken to the Red Sand Beach and were killed in a horrific accident. Apparently, there was an accident there in 2012 that resulted in a lawsuit which resulted in the inability for anyone at the hotel to provide directions to the area -- which I get. But this unsolicited 'advisory' was completely uncalled for and resulted in two little girls that were upset all morning. As for the property itself, it's no 5 star hotel. I'm used to staying in Four Seasons, Fairmonts and W's and Travaasa isn't in their universe. Paying $700 a night and not having Air Conditioning when it's 85 degrees outside disqualified them in my book. The bed was hard. The grounds aren't anything to write home about. The furniture in the lobby looks like it's from a 1950s bank lobby (and not in a cool post-modern way). The one worthwhile investment is the restaurant -- the seafood risotto was some of the best I've ever had and the breakfast was out of this world. So, if you feel compelled to check it out - go for the food but don't waste your money on a room and certainly avoid their hotel staff at all costs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Haley R
Hawai'i
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was so happy we finally got a chance to stay here about 5 years ago when it was known as the Hotel Hana Maui.

LOBBY:
Open-air and tropical setting. We arrived around 8pm so we got registered immediately.

ROOM:
Sea ranch cottage - Definitely do spend the extra $ and grab one of these gems! You don't want to be stuck in the motel-like looking rooms by the road once you see them. The decor is very similar to the overwater bungalows in French Polynesia. There is no air conditioning, my only gripe about the place, but there is a very powerful ceiling fan above the bed which was great. There is no TV which was perfectly fine with me. Unfortunately we didn't get the cottage with the hot tub but it wasn't a big deal because we had fun at the pool at night. Not that kind of fun, mind you! In place of our non-existent hot tub was a spacious lanai towards the back of the cottage with great views of the other cottages and the Pacific.

PARKING:
Not too sure where the main lot is, but there was a tiny lot close by right next to the cottages.

POOL:
Simple rectangular pool great for swimming laps or lounging. Its the surrounding views that are awesome - coconut trees, mountain, ocean, and lush greenery.

BEACH:
There really isn't a much of a sandy beach near the hotel. Even if there was, the water is pretty rough. There is a red sand beach nearby but I think you are trespassing on private land if you access it. Your best bet is to head to Hana Bay where there is a big sandy beach, picnic tables, takeout food counter and restrooms. Very relaxing place to be and the locals are super friendly.

SPA:
Beautiful and simple boutique-style spa. I received THE deepest massage in my life from a male therapist. Yikes! He was awesome but will never do a heavy treatment like that again. They have a gorgeous over-sized outdoor hot tub, and outdoor relaxation area overlooking lush gardens.

RESTAURANT:
Beautiful high ceilings and great views of the gardens and ocean. We had dinner here but I can't remember what I had, sorry! I remember the prices being high though. Because we didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount on breakfast and lunch, we headed across the street to the Ranch Store which has a takeout window and sit-down restaurant.

OVERALL:
I love it here. Being a local, its a great place for a staycation. For the tourist, its the ultimate tropical paradise getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MauiWorldTravelers
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for such a fantastic review! It’s great to see our Kama’aina experiencing Travaasa Hana, which says a lot about Hana when you currently live on beautiful Maui, yet will come to Travaasa Hana to get away from it all. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hana and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next staycation.
Napa, California
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have fallen in love with Hana but especially this hotel. The staff are some of the friendliest I have met. My wife and I went out exploring and got some great tips from the concierge and the bell staff. Venus pools were a great place to hang out.
The food was great I love that on the menu it tells you the name of the local fisherman who caught the fish that they are serving. We learned how to open a coconut and we drank the water plus ate the flesh. Andrew taught us about the age of the coconut and the differences in the flesh inside.
Loved it going to have to take a longer trip here next time.

Room Tip: Sea Ranch Cottage area is for adults only.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tmj1960
Danny M, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Aloha!

Falling in love with Hana and Travaasa Hotel is not hard to do; in fact quite a few past guests have made Hana their permanent home. Andrew and the rest of our Cultural team are extremely knowledgeable in the rich history of Hana and our Hawaiian culture. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next Hana experience. Mahalo for choosing Travaasa Hana!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!