“Heavenly Hana”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
California
“Heavenly Hana”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This place was remarkable. We were blessed to stay in the ocean view cottage with its own outdoor whirlpool. You could literally be naked the entire time without any worries of being seen.

Some highlights: no television in our guest rooms. This really adds to the intimacy of the place. They have a library that is full of fun games and great books. My girlfriend and I played battleship, had great conversation and great wine into the night.

The yoga room. Its something out of a movie. If you practice yoga, bring your mat as it was open the entire time while there [though, i am sure they have them].

I highly recommend staying more than just one night, as we felt like three nights would have been perfect.

Make sure to stop at the local general shop, or better yet, bring wine, champagne, OJ, cheese and other snacks from a Safeway on the other side of island. There is a refrigerator in the room to keep your things cold.

The only sub par experience was the service at the fine dining restaurant. Our server was nice, but was poor when it came to the all of the important little things, such as bringing spoons with your coffee, forgetting knives when the steak came etc.

If you want a romantic getaway that is based on having time for conversation, and the fun and memories you create, it does not get much better.

Aloha

Room Tip: Spend the little extra to stay in your very own cottage!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DMynarHana, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
I am so glad that you are able to get so much out of your brief stay with us. It sounds as though you were able to take advantage of some of our programming options! Thank you for taking the time to write and I will look forward to welcoming you back to Travaasa Hana again soon (hopefully for more than one night)!
808-270-3257

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Los Altos
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Nice location after the drive but we must have set our expectations too high. Most of this was due to the service staff being polite but not attentive or truly service oriented. Nice layout and certainly authentic, vintage Hawaiian.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Craig J
Aloha – Thank you for writing. I’m glad that you enjoyed the ambiance and authentic Hawaiian aspects of our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a perfect retreat. Service was outstanding. Everyone was friendly. Bellman/valet are helpful in whatever you need. Infinity pool and hot tub are great for post hike relaxation. Large bar in the room and plenty of sitting areas in the cottage make for a great time. Will be going back very soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Laurel S
Aloha - Thank you for writing! I’m so glad to hear that Travaasa Hana was just as special as you hoped, and that you were able to experience a peaceful, restorative stay. I can’t wait to welcome you back again soon!
Seattle
Reviewed January 18, 2013

For those who may be visitiing Hana for more than one day, you may want to check out the Travaasa Spa. We were staying at the Hana Kai Maui Resort for four nights and I decided to get a facial at the Travaasa hotel spa (formerly Hotel Hana) and it was one of the best spa experience I have had. The spa facility is located below the Hana Coast Gallery and the hotel's main lobby. I was expecting to just get a facial but when I made the appointment I was told I could arrive early to take advantage of the steam room and outdoor jacuzzi. The Spa gift shop is where you check in. I arrived about 45 minutes early. Under the new management, it seems they have dedicated large rooms for their facials and massages. All nicely appointed rooms and a key given to you for your assigned locker in the dressing room. Comfy robes and rubber slippers were given to wear. There were instructions to spend 5-6 minutes in the steam room, then take a plunge in an outddoor cold water soaking tub (one person capacity) and then repeat the process again before stepping into the outdoor lava rock jacquzzi which has a lovely view of Hana bay. Another couple was getting out of the jacuzzi because they said it was too hot for them and they could only stay in for a few minutes. I believe the hot and cold immersion before acclimated my body because I thought the water was perfect. I just wished I had more time than five minutes but my facial was next.

Liza gave the best facial I've had. She is a long term resident of Hana of 30 years and really is an expert in what she does. The potions that were used are all organic and smelled wonderfully. She gave shoulder, arm and hand massage that was so relaxing. This was so rewarding especially after a hike to Waimoku Falls that afternoon. The whole experience was incredible and this will be on my things to do list the next time I'm in Hana. Mahalo!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank p0rt0bell0
I am so glad that you are able to get so much out of your spa experience. Thank you for taking the time to write and I will look forward to welcoming you back to Travaasa Hana again soon, hopefully as a hotel guest!
Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were on our honeymoon and this was the perfect hotel to choose. It is a little expensive, but I don't regret spending the money. The staff made us feel like we were the only ones there. They handled our every need and then some. The location is beautiful. We would definitely go back there however it will probably take us some time to save up enough money to do so. If you want an unforgettable honeymoon this is the place.

Room Tip: There are rooms called "sea cottages" and a handful have private hot tubs on your deck. H...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David V
DMynarHana, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Aloha David V.,
Congratulations and mahalo (thank you) for visiting Travaasa Hana, and for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor.
We are delighted that our facilities and staff exceeded your expectations, and will be sure to share your positive comments with our staff and management team. I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to Hana in the very near future.
A hui hou (until then),

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We recently stayed two nights in a Garden cottage. This was our last accommodation in Maui after staying in four other locations and we had thought we were saving the best for last. While Hana was stunning, the Travaasa Hana was overpriced. Our cottage, while roomy, was not particularly clean and in need of renovation. When I peeled back the bed cover, there were all manner of stains which made me uncomfortable - at some point these things need washing or replacing. The floor had sticky bits and the door frames were muddy. I washed the tub before use as I wasn't sure if the yellow stains were filth or age. For an expensive hotel, this was not my expectation. While shampoo and conditioner were provided, no coral friendly lotion was offered which given the spa services associated with the hotel was surprising.

This said the staff were very pleasant. They do provide a warm greeting with fresh juice a leis. There was an invitation to a reception. Fresh banana bread. Coffee beans and some nice teas in the room, (but we had to ask for cream). Were these services worth the premium ... Not in our case.

I would certainly go to Hana again, but would look for other accommodations. Frankly, the bed and breakfast, Moonlight Gardens, we had stayed in the night before in Kula had been so wonderful I would seek out another such gem in Hana.

I should note that Dinner options in Hana seem to be limited to the hotel restaurant with excellent food (we tried all the appetizers), but pricey; and the Hana Ranch (now owned by Travaasa) across the street which was good (at least the BBQ ribs were good). There are many wonderful breakfast and lunch options in Hana.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Catherine K
Aloha CatherineK.,
Mahalo (thank you) for visiting Travaasa Hana, and for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor.
I wanted to let you know that we are currently in the beginning phase of room renovations and will have a small allotment of fully renovated rooms available in late 2013. As we need to balance this project with guests currently staying at the property we are pacing renovations building by building. At the same time we are fully committed to maintaining the cleanliness and maintenance of all rooms and I have advised our maintenance team to take your room out of order as soon as possible to address any immediate issues. We expect to have a fully updated room product available prior to your next trip to Hana and look forward to sharing it with you then.
We are in the process of addressing your concerns regarding our restaurant operations and will have a favorable resolution to the items that you mention before your next visit.
Despite the minor issues you have shared, I hope you still experienced quality customer service and had an enjoyable overall stay. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. In the meantime, it would be my pleasure to personally assist you with any future inquiries.
With warm aloha,

Honolulu
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We didn't have the pleasure of staying at Travaasa on our visit to Hana shortly before Christmas, but based on our experience enjoying drinks in the lounge there, we'll stay there if we return to Hana. All the staff we encountered were full of genuine aloha. Some of the waiters even double as entertainers in the lounge, which really gives visitors a special and authentic Hawaiian experience: when we were there, the very talented Kimo sang and played ukulele while local guests got up and beautifully danced hula. One of the managers, Michele, even shared a hula that night! I hope Travaasa realizes how unique and valuable their staff in Hana are because they are the heart and soul of the resort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Betty K
L D, Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Aloha from your neighbor island of Maui!
Thank you for visiting Travaasa Hana, and for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you were able to stop by the Paniolo Lounge and, while there, that you enjoyed the local entertainment.
It is especially good to hear from an island resident, and, hopefully, you will be able to stay with us for a night (or more) on your next visit to Maui.
Mahala Nui Loa for your input, and please let me know if I can be of assistance on your next island-hop.
808-270-3257
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!