“Exemplary Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Honolulu
“Exemplary Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We didn't have the pleasure of staying at Travaasa on our visit to Hana shortly before Christmas, but based on our experience enjoying drinks in the lounge there, we'll stay there if we return to Hana. All the staff we encountered were full of genuine aloha. Some of the waiters even double as entertainers in the lounge, which really gives visitors a special and authentic Hawaiian experience: when we were there, the very talented Kimo sang and played ukulele while local guests got up and beautifully danced hula. One of the managers, Michele, even shared a hula that night! I hope Travaasa realizes how unique and valuable their staff in Hana are because they are the heart and soul of the resort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Betty K
L D, Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Aloha from your neighbor island of Maui!
Thank you for visiting Travaasa Hana, and for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled that you were able to stop by the Paniolo Lounge and, while there, that you enjoyed the local entertainment.
It is especially good to hear from an island resident, and, hopefully, you will be able to stay with us for a night (or more) on your next visit to Maui.
Mahala Nui Loa for your input, and please let me know if I can be of assistance on your next island-hop.
808-270-3257

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hana and the surrounding countryside is truly beautiful. This hotel is truly peaceful. Nothing happens fast. Which doesn't matter after the first 24 hours. The staff are genuine rather than corporately polite. The food is great. Which is just as well because this place is teeth clenchingly expensive. Go with people you love to spend time with, partly because it's so amazing you'll want to share it, partly because its remote so you don't want to be there with anyone you don't really like. My only criticism would be that the rooms need updating. They are rather tired, and at the prices they charge that should not be the case.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank T A
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Travaasa Hotel Hana is a magical Hawaiian place.
No fast food joints, no chain stores, no golf courses, no mainland college kid waiter taking a year off to surf. No television, radios or alarm clocks in the rooms. You actually have to experience your natural surroundings. Only two places to eat dinner, two general stores and a couple of gift shops. Nothing to get in the way of really seeing the beauty of Hawaii.
Here are jungle waterfalls, a dream beach surrounded by fern covered cliffs instead of highrise condos, Here are horses and cattle in green pastures on volcanic slopes. Here you can go for a walk with a local Hawaiian (with a university history degree) and listen to her tell you stories of ancient Hawaii. Here you can sit and listen to local singers and then watch your waitress dance a hula. Here you can wander down to the bay, get a shave ice and watch the local canoe club practice. Here is a place where you will see more locals than tourists. Here is a place where your bellman is third generation and some of the staff have ancestors who were here when the largest heiau in the islands was built. Here is a place where the managers don't have to train the staff to be friendly because it is simply an honest expression of the culture.
If you want to experience true aloha, here it is.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have the same basic floor plan, elegant natural simplicity. All are one story.
4 Thank Rivers R
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I come to Maui every year at least once. The highlight of our trip is making our way to Hana to stop in for a Mohito and lunch in the bar of the the Travaasa Hotel. while the Mohito's are the best I have found on the islands the staff and ambiance were breathtaking. This week my girl friend with cancer came from the east coast and I could not wait to take her her Hana. I had the fish tacos and they were very good and my friend had the Corn Tortilla Club Sandwich which was fabulous. In addition, I had my Mohito which never disappoints. This place is a great respite after along drive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Penny T
Dear anarecio,
Mahalo (thank you) for visiting Travaasa Hana, and for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor.
I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to Hana in the very near future. If I may be of further assistance, I would welcome your call at 808-270-3257.
A hui hou (until then).
Danville, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Absolutely amazing resort and location. Incredibly laid back vibe, yet everything is first class and inviting. The cottages are amazing. Bright, amble and very private. Very well appointed. There is everything and nothing to do. Whatever you choose. Very restorative few days. We loved every second.

Room Tip: Sea Ranch Cottages with hot tub on deck. Very decadent!
4 Thank anarecio
DMynarHana, General Manager at Travaasa Hana, Maui, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Aloha anarecio,
We are delighted that our facilities and staff exceeded your expectations, and will be sure to share your positive comments with our staff and management team. I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to Hana in the very near future.
A hui hou (until then),
Red Wing, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed for two nights in one of the ranch cottages at Travaasa Hana. Every single minute spent at this resort is like a fairytale. You check in and are greeted with freshly squeezed juice. Everybody who works here is smiling and welcoming you. The whole resort is immaculate and extremely well-kept. From the hot tub in our ranch cottage, we could see horses from the peaceful neighboring facility, and also the waves splashing up against the rocks. Anyplace you want to go is no problem as you can call for a ride and somebody will pick you up quickly to take you to the spa, restaurant, the front desk, your car, etc. There is whole bean, local and fresh coffee with a grinder, and hand thrown, embossed pottery mugs. (I bought one at the gift shop and it's now my favorite!) There is banana bread and a hand-written note waiting on the table for your arrival. The pool and the hot tub and totally luxurious, with a wide view of the ocean before you. The pool features a nice refreshing waterfall. I could go on and on about the beautiful resort, it is the most relaxing and wonderful resort I have ever seen.

Room Tip: The sea ranch cottages are so private and wonderful. I can't imagine staying in a different kind...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lovetotravelsteph
Dear lovetotravelsteph,
A hui hou (until then).
honolulu
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed three nights at the Travaasa over Thanksgiving. We're from Oahu, and just wanted some relaxing time.

First, the good news: Hana is incredibly beautiful. It's really remote, so once you're there, you're there, and that's all there is, but the scenery and the ocean are spectacular. I'd only been to Hana once before on a day trip drive on the twisting, turning Hana highway years ago, so it was a treat to spend some time in this tiny, isolated laid-back area.

Now the not so good news: There are very few options for eating in Hana. In fact, for dinner, there are two. The Resort restaurant, and the Hana Ranch restaurant, a short walk away. (Everything in Hana is a short walk away.) The resort restaurant is way over priced, to the point that you feel as if they know they've got you stranded. They realize it's them or Hana Ranch, and Hana Ranch is pretty poor. Don't be fooled by Yelp or other reviews of eating establishments in Hana. They all close after lunch. Hana is less than two square miles, and the other eating places are lunch wagons. Of these, I highly recommend the Thai place across the baseball field (behind right field) from the resort. Great food, in a tiny little tent of a cafe.

Now the bad news: The resort has a "no tipping policy," which sounds OK, but ends up being pretty bad. The way it works is they charge you 18% of your total cost per night each day. Like an 18% resort fee. For us that worked out to about $50.00 a day. Still, we didn't think that would be so bad, if it included all tipping. But here's the thing: it doesn't. They automatically charged another 18% on our dinner, and 18% on spa treatment. This made me contemplate what my $50.00 was going to. I was informed that it was for the "experiences" provided by the resort. For us, that meant morning yoga class, the shuttle to the beach which is a couple miles away, and housekeeping. It wasn't so much the money that bothered me, as the way it was squeezed out of us. I would have preferred they have a normal resort fee, and left the tipping to me. For example, our wait staff was pretty poor, the housekeeping was minimal, and their romantic notion of no TV,no WiFi, no AC, got old after a few hours. So what's the resort fee going toward? I think that maybe the service wasn't all that great because the staff knew they weren't getting tipped by me, that it was already guaranteed by the resort fee.

As for the room,we stayed at the sea ranch cottages, clearly the better and newer part of the resort. The garden view rooms are the old rooms of the old Hana hotel. I'm sure there OK, but built in the 70's probably. (BTW: the fitness room was a few cardio machines and free weights put into one of these garden rooms.) Our cottage was spacious but not luxurious. It had the feel of a YMCA camp cabin, but with a nicer bed. Great sunrises over the ocean on the lanai, but limited hot water in the shower. And I've already mentioned the housekeeping.

We've stayed at a lot of resorts in Hawaii, because as residents, we prefer to vacation right here, having been to other places and almost always found Hawaii superior; but Travaasa will not get a return visit. For the money, we could have stayed at Four Seasons Lanai, or for a little more, Hualalai.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank ynisschick
Dear ynisschick,
Aloha from your neighbor island of Maui!
Thank you for visiting Travaasa Hana, and for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor. All of your comments are being discussed, and we welcome your suggestions.
It is especially good to hear from an island resident, and we appreciate your frank comments. As you can see from past reviews we are incredibly proud to be one of the highest rated properties on Maui and firmly believe in a strong value proposition. Our Service Charge includes unlimited access to a robust schedule of programs & activities; in-room complimentary bottled water & organic fair-trade coffee; welcome snack and refreshments upon arrival; gratuities on all packages components; complete access to resort facilities and complimentary valet parking. Many guests feel that this is a great value compared to other properties charging $20/night for parking alone.
With warm aloha,
Danny Mynar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!