“beautiful lodge, but not perfect ... (+ some tips)” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hana
Brussels, Belgium
“beautiful lodge, but not perfect ... (+ some tips)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

I just came back from a wonderful stay at the Travaasa Hana hotel. Let me first make clear that we love to travel in hotels recommended by Conde Nast, Kiwicollection or SLH, and we have travelled extensively over the world in many, many high end lodges & resorts. Hana was high on our list. Now looking back to it, I loved it, but there were some issues.

The main advantage of the lodge is it's peaceful location in the sleepy town of Hana. This is the Hawaii everyone should see (not the mega-resorts). I would recommend everyone to stay 3 nights as this is long enough to come to peace and take in the environment (any longer would cause boredom).

The lodge is composed of garden suites (located around a well manicured garden) and after crossing a small street you enter the second part of the lodge with the ocean view cottages. It is here that the beautiful infinity pool & hottube can be found. We were first located in a garden suite, but were moved for our 2nd and 3th night to a ocean-view cottage. They are totally different, and I would highly recommend everyone to book an ocean-view cottage : these cottages are nicier decorated, have softer and thus better beds, have large terraces, and some come with private outside hottubes. At night, you can leave your window open and listen to the surf. The hotel and its environment are so peaceful you will forget all stress in a split second. Food at the hotel was pricey but good. Staff was wonderful and always helpful.

Nevertheless, there are some issues that need to be addressed (and these are the reasons why I did not rate this hotel as excellent) :
(1) we were with 3 friends, so we requested a rollaway bed in a 2 queen sized room. However, the quality of the rollaway beds that were provided were horrible. A very thin matras, so impossible to sleep at all. They dropped the charge of 50 US $ per night for the rollaway which was the right thing to do.
(2) the extra price for a 3th person in the room was 140 US $ (excluding breakfast). This is the highest we ever encountered in any luxury hotel so far, and definately the highest we encountered in Hawaii (for comparison : St Regis princeville and Four Seasons Maui ask 100 US for a 3th adult).
(3) The hotel is now part of the Prefered Hotel Group, so we booked the room with our I prefer number. When member of the latter program (free), complimentary room upgrade wil be provided at check-in when available. An upgrade was not offered to us, and we were very disappointed that night to find out that less than 50% of the hotel was full. The next day, we were granted an upgrade due to a big insect in our room that freaked out one of my friends.
(4) breakfast is good, but ... before arrival, I changed our rate to a breakfast including rate because I was worried that breakfast would be to expensive when ordering a la carte (after reading reviews on tripadvisor). The difference for a room (for 3 adults) with and without breakfast was 96 US $. When breakfast was included, you could choose from a juice, coffee, and one entree. I was rather disappointed to find out that eating a la carte would have been a better deal after all, as our breakfasts never reached 96 US $ a day. I do not understand why the hotel offers a breakfast including pakkage, when eating a la carte is cheaper. I would recommend them to lower either the price of their included breakfast, or make the breakfast a free choice option (choose whatever you want as is done in many high end hotels).
(5) the temperature in the hottube should be warmer (was opinion of all guests the days we were there)
(6) be prepared for rain, lots of rain, as this is the wet part of Maui. Because of the climate, in room televisions/internet should be a nice touch, although I understand and respect the management's decision to keep the cottages free of electronics.

TIPS :
- try the Thai luch around the corner of the hotel : DELICIOUS
- visit Ōhe’o Gulch at Haleakalā National Park, as well as make the 2 hour trail to the waterfall there

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank LuxTravelExpert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The hotel is going through some bumpsintheroad as part of an ownership transition, yet it remains a prime destination to unwind, relax and serves as a luxe base from which to explore one of the increasingly rare unspoiled corners of the Hawaiian Islands. The setting, service, food, specialty tours, and cultural programs are all first rate, and are sure to satisfy anyone looking for the Hawaii that existed and still exists beyond the modern glitz. It rains a lot, but usually not too much. There is no beach right at the resort, but a short shuttle ride brings one to a wonderfully fine-sandy pocket in an otherwise rugged coast; rated as one of the nicest beaches on all of the islands.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank surf949
Mount Kisco, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Travaasa Hotel Hana or Hotel Hana Maui - no matter what the name, this remains one of the best places we've ever stayed at, anywhere. After driving the Road to Hana, this is a great place to stay, be pampered, and use as a jumping off point for touring the surrounding area (The Sacred Pools, Waianapanapa - the black sand beach, etc.) If you've booked time at one of the crowded places in Lahaina or Kaanapali already, add at least 1 day here to find your "balance".

Room Tip: Ask for the best water view possible
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sarasdad27
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is a hotel to remember. Serene.. Delicious food.. Great adventures..

Stayed here for five days on our honeymoon. The staff was sufficient- though way too laid back to an east coaster. Absolutely stunning environment. I literally have dreams of being back at this place.

Make sure you make your way to red sand beach, hamoa, and the sacred pools.. and black sand beach. Make sure you stay for four days to get the full effect.. you will be silly putty when you leave.

• Stayed September 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank marlowwl
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

The Hotel Hana was wonderful and peaceful…a very welcome break from the hustle and bustle of Kaanapali and Lahaina. I booked 2 ajoining rooms for me, my wife and our 3 teenagers. Not much for the kids to do(no wifi), but I was very happy. It's almost eerily quiet and tranquil…took me a day just to enter that peace. The rooms are large, but a bit dated. Some rust spots in the tub and creaky floors…seems like the place could use a renovation. No air conditioning in the rooms made it a bit hot at night for me personally. The beds were not very comfortable as I think they were a bit old. Large grass field in front of the rooms helped keep things quite. No beach at the hotel, but stunning views off the cliffs near the cottages. Main pool there was very nice, but no service (while we were there) was a bit of a pain if you wanted a drink or snack. Excellent service all around. You never feel as if there are any other people there, but at dinner we all show up at the only restaurant on the property. Very nice (if somewhat pricey) menu…not much for kids. We had a very nice group entertaining us Sunday night. About a half hour from the 7 pools, which was beautiful. We did the hike up to a wonderful waterfall first then tried to swim in the pools, which ended up closed for some silly reason. Be careful on the 2 mile hike to the waterfall! It is rocky and uneven…someone broke an ankle on the way down.

Room Tip: More money, but the cottages look lovely
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank laurence00
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Just back from a 4 night stay at Travaasa and it wasn't until we were delayed at the airport and I went to look at the Hotel Hana Maui site again did I realize the name of the hotel had changed. Que a brief panic that things would be not as I hoped/expected but the minute we arrived I feel in love with the place and my fears dispelled. As some of the other reviewers have mentioned I too was concerned about no air conditioning but once you are there you realize how unnecessary it really is! There are lovely double screen doors that open up to your personal lanai and allow the tradewinds to send a delicious breeze into your cottage as you fall asleep to the rustling of the palm leaves in the trees. My boyfriend and I choose to splurge on upgrading to a sea cottage from a garden suite and I was so pleased with our decision. Sure it's not cheap, but you only live once! Not to mention, they offer so many activities on the property that it really feels worth the money.

I highly recommend considering the Sunrise and Spa package for a least one of your nights if both members of your party intend to receive a massage. This package includes one 60 min spa treatment per night per person as well as breakfast and was a real value.

Food at the hotel is expensive so if you are a fan of a big breakfast I'd suggest going for the breakfast included package. We wished by the end of our stay that there was more variety to the dinner menu, as that was not the most exciting aspect of our stay. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say about this lovely resort!

Go and fall in love with Hana as we did.

Room Tip: if you are an early riser room 402 was recently renovated and the sunrises directly in front of your...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank klatza
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

For any couple planning to take the scenic drive down the Hana highway, a 3-4 night stay at Travaasa (fka Hotel Hana Maui) is an absolute must. The rooms are huge, perfectly furnished and secluded. You will feel like you are staying on a private Maui plantation.

When you do eventually decide to venture out of your room there are plenty of relaxing activities to be enjoyed: world class spa and massage, infinity pool, hidden beaches, hikes through massive bambo forests, waterfalls, horse back riding and more!

Though a bit on the expensive side, this hotel is on my "must-do" list for Hawaii. (message me if you want more info)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zerolex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea

Been to Travaasa Hana, Maui? Share your experiences!