“Heavenly! We will be back!”
Review of Papalani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hana
Papalani
Ranked #5 of 9 Hana B&B and Inns
toscana
“Heavenly! We will be back!”
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I cannot rave enough about Papalani! It is a shame that she does not advertise- more people should know about this amazing retreat. I must say that it is not a party place, absolutely not. And anyone afraid of the rainforest, bugs, geckos, rain just don't stay in Hana because you will not like it no matter where you stay. But if you are looking for a romantic getaway, or a private retreat- THIS IS THE BEST MOST ROMANTIC PLACE THAT I HAVE EVER STAYED!!! Right on the waters edge, the venus pool stream runs through your backyard, secret beaches just a 5 minute walk away, hamoa beach 10 minutes away, You can't ask for a better location. I loved the herb and vegetable garden and the orchids and flowers growing everywhere. And the owner, Sybil was really a gem. I highly recommend this rental to anyone who loves nature, serenity, and a peaceful retreat. Thank you Papalani

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovingshakti

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Toscana
Reviewed October 7, 2008

I have stayed at nearly every vacation rental and hotel in Hana Maui, and this was the perfect retreat for me. Sybil is just an angel- and my favorite of her rentals is the guesthouse in front, or the Ohana. Big sunken bathtub, gorgeous light, along the stream that makes up the famous venus pools. And it is just LITERALLY across the street from the gorgeous pools, and a perfect walk along the picturesque coastline to the infamous Hamoa Beach. This is one of my favorite swimming beaches on the whole island. It is an easy swim, gentle waves, and gorgeous white sand beach with shaded areas for the sun-shy. I must agree that there is no real "nightlife", fastfood restaurants in Hana. And yes, there are mosquitos and geckos in the rainforest- so Hana (thankfully) is not for everyone- but if you want a retreat or a honeymoon in paradise- I cannot reccommend this place more. A thousand stars for PAPALANI!!!!

• Liked — The peace and quiet, the flowers, the healing, and the gorgeous walks from the property-
  • Disliked — Absolutely NOTHING.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank uccellini
Oahu
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Let me start of saying that this place is NOT $85/night try $290 a night!
After a long hike in the mountains we started our drive to Papalani a little late. I called Sybill to tell her we were on our way. She told me she was too tired to get fresh flowers for our room and that I should pick some up on the way. Maybe I should have asked her if she needed any milk as well or perhaps toilet paper for the bathroom?

When we finally arrived she rushed us in the door because of the mosquitos and told me first off that I always need to shut the door right away...Sorry, I could'nt shut the door right away I had two large bags in my hand!

It was weird in the bathroom it looked like someone was living in there and forgot to take their stuff...clothes and a suit in the closet..pennies in a basket in the drawer...small hairs in the drawer.

Cooking breakfast in the morning was not fun or relaxing. I felt like I had to wash everything before I used it because the drawers were dirty.
I was really looking forward to my fresh baked bread in the morning but the mice had got to it first ripping large holes in the bag.
The coffee machine was dirty, coffee grinds still in the filter.
When we got breakfast ready we went up to the "whalewatch" and there was whiteflies buzzing around everywhere.

Okay, so not everything was so bad, it was across from the pools and had a nice green view of the pastures.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank LinaLina
Boulder, CO
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Papalani's proprietress, Sybil, is a warm, wonderful woman who has created a peaceful oasis in the paradise that is Hana. I stayed in the smaller of the two houses, the Ohana. It is sited so that there is total privacy, right on the creek that runs into the ocean. The bedroom was my favorite room -- I felt as though I was sleeping in the middle of a grove of banana trees (which, in fact, I was). The location is stupdendous, across the road from the famous Venus Pool, and just down the road a bit from Hamoa Beach. It's a litte outside of Hana, which is another positive. I was able to enjoy this lovely sanctuary, thanks to Sybil and her artist's sensibility in creating such a terrific place.

• Liked — the beautiful aesthetic throughout the home, including the siting, the privacy and the location
  • Disliked — nothng
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank artisthealer
Reviewed July 23, 2006

My wife and i stayed there for 2 wonderful nights at the end of a business trip elsewhere on Maui. we stayed in the Gatehouse, 1 of 3 cottages/houses available for rent. everything about the place, the setting, the location, etc. was wonderful/beautiful. our host/owner was Sybill (sp?), who was gracious, warm, and patient with our questions and requests. she has landscaped the place beautifully -- it appears as if one is in a painting -- with hibiscus, ti, bird-of-paradise, and many other flowers, shrubs and trees. she has an organic garden in the middle of the property, and she encouraged us to harvest delicious and exotic food for our meals, which we did. the interior of the house is clean, modern, and well done. it contains a sunken tub/shower, which is technically outside, but it provides complete privacy. papalani is located in southern Hana, a relatively isolated, old Hawaiian town on the east Maui coast that Hawaiians refer to as a garden of paradise. our place was located across the road from the famous Venus Pool, 4 mi. south of the center of Hana, a 25 min. walk from the Hamoa & Koko beaches, and a 25 min. drive from the sacred pools in Kipahulu.
i saw comments on Trip Advisor about mosquitos. my wife is a mosquito magnet, and i believe we were entering the high season for mosquitos, yet she only received one 'bite'. (Sybill provides bug repellent, but we did not use much.)
i have had 2 business trips to Hana in the past, and i stayed at Hotel Hana Maui. it is also very nice, but the 2 properties provide different kinds of experiences, and Papalani is less costly.
because of my business, i have visited most states and at least 16 foreign countries. for those interested in natural beauty, i would rate the combined experience of Papalani and Hana as one of the 2 most romantic destinations to take your spouse. (the other is a small village in Liechtentstein [Steg], that is nestled in a valley among the Austrian/Liechtenstein/Swiss Alps.)
good news: cell phones don't work, and one doesn't even need to turn on the TV or log into the internet. so go, unwind, and enjoy.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank stuartbaseball
Paris
Reviewed May 23, 2006

My husband and I spent part of our three-week Hawaiian honeymoon in Hana. On the internet, Papalani looked delightful; in real-life, however, it fell far short of our expectations. Bugs (including ants, centipedes, mosquitoes and tiny flea-looking creatures) were crawling absolutely everywhere, and in the evenings the entire cottage was overtaken by geckos, both inside and out. Because of the intense humidity, very few of the electrical appliances worked, including the TV, DVD player, stovetop and oven. There were also signs posted throughout the cottage (including in drawers) telling guests what they were and weren't allowed to do, which made us feel a bit like we were intruding on the home of someone who really didn't want us there. Overall, I would say that, though we enjoyed the quiet solitude of Hana, our accommodations left much to be desired.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank ErinS2005
Reviewed August 12, 2004

The House and surroundinings were quite beautiful.
Mosquitos enjoyed my wife's flesh more so than mine.
The sound of the close proximity of the river was
a little pronouncd while trying to sleep.(maybe had something to do with the flash flood that introduced
so much water).
Sybil was very pleasant, but hit us with a penalty fee
for staying only one night. This charge was never mentioned prior to our booking arrangements.
We enjoyed the one-night stand, but were bitten
by mosquitos and an additional bite out of the wallet.

• Stayed July 2004
10 Thank Dougup
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hana
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Residence Inn Maui Wailea
Maui Seaside Hotel
Maui Seaside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Kahului

Been to Papalani? Share your experiences!