“Great surprise !”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kokomo & Haiku Rd
Transit: Tour buses, Maui Shuttle bus, Taxi
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

The food was great! The staff was friendly. The desserts were so good. The coconut chocolate mars brownie thing was wonderful! Great little lunch spot. Probably one of our top eats while on the Big Island!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

There were four of us. The ambiance and the service were OK, the entertainment was very good, but the food was only so-so. Three were disappointed with the food. We had read other reviews and so we stayed away from the "specials" all of which seem to be priced at 2 to 3 times the cost of the regular menu items. The hamburger was good, cooked as ordered, and the fries were crispy. Another friend and I each had the pasta with shiitake mushrooms. They were small portions (for $13), the sauce was too bland and the mushrooms hadn't been soaked long enough to reconstitute so some of them were un-chewable. All-in-all a big disappointment. The other dish was chicken curry. The sauce was ok but the chicken almost seemed like Costco canned chicken chunks.

Maybe not a bad place for a burger, a beer, and some good music but certainly not gourmet.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've been to this restaurant once before and swore I would never go back. The other restaurant in the vicinity was closed so we decided to give this one another chance. My family and I walked in, there were 3 of us. We were just ignored. I then walked over and asked someone if we should sit anywhere, which we were to. We sat down outside, our table was dirty and we had to wait for the owner to eventually show up to clean it. He asked for our drinks order. I ordered a Martini (Kettle One) which was made by the owner and was perfect. I ordered the special - a steak - the rest of my family were not ready to order at that time. The owner looked annoyed and responded with, "come on guys, I'm really busy here, I'll just come back." Wrong attitude. He came back several minutes later and took the rest of my party’s order. Later he came over and I ordered another Martini which was made by another member of staff and tasted awful. I asked the owner if HE could make another and sent this second one back. I received a replacement which honestly wasn't as good as his first but I kept it anyway. Our main courses - the "special" steak for the day (2) and the bacon burger were exceptional. When the owner took our plates, the burger was only half eaten. We forgot to ask for a doggy bag and he did not offer one. We didn't realize until he had already taken the plates that the rest of the burger was probably thrown away. For desert one of my party got up to get a dessert menu since we could not get anyone's attention and was handed one by a member of staff. The owner came over and took the menu away seemingly annoyed and said we should NOT have got a menu. He then verbally reeled off a list of available desserts. Eventually our bill came. On an already overpriced regular menu, our "special" steaks were $28.95 each (2), the burger $10.95, dessert $7.95 and my Martinis - wait for it - were a whopping $14.00 EACH!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are Wailea prices. Please be aware before ordering anything like this. $28 is the cost of a bottle of Kettle One which is probably why I was charged $14.00 per drink. I have lived on this island for over 20 years, my family was embarrassed and treated appallingly. I will never, ever go back there.

1  Thank Anna O
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were looking for something different in the Haiku area and tried this place on a Monday night without checking reviews. It turned out to be a good experience. I had the pork & cabbage plate while my wife had the fish fry. Everything was prepared well, filling and reasonably priced. We sat outside on the covered lanai and listened to live local music, which was an added bonus. Seemed to be mostly locals which is exactly how we like it. Would definitely try them again if in the area.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Took a chance on this place because my cousin & I were starving & Hana Hou's was open. It wound up being the best surprise (food wise) during my entire stay in Hawaii. I had the club sandwich & everything about it was delicious. The server was great & I'm sure the deserts would have been too except the portions were so big. I would definitely come back here again.