“Friendly crew, good fishing, reasonable cost”

Strike Zone Sportfishing & Bottom Fishing
Ranked #9 of 26 things to do in Haiku
Reviewed December 7, 2012

First time bottom fishing and sportfishing in Maui. The 3 man crew were friendly, helpful and shared their knowledge of all of the fish caught. The trip is 6 hrs and includes a light lunch (sandwiches, chips, cookies, soda and water). The crew clean all of the small fish (there were lots) caught and bag them for you to take home. Any large fish caught are filleted and shared among all of the passengers and crew (there were 2 (8 lbs +) grey snapper caught on our trip).

Good value for your money and we would certainly go on this trip again.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Everything was really great. Caught four fish. Liked going out in the morning only. Afternoons would be hotter and rougher on the ocean.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

My daughter and I when out bottom fishing with the Strike Zone crew and really had a great time. The boat trolled as we headed out to bottom fish and we caught 2 Onos that we all shared at the end of the day.
Even though my daughter was with the Old Dude (me) and had a banana on board she caught more bottom fish than any one. We found out that Bananas are bad luck and not to be taken on a fishing boat, let alone eaten. Jay, one of the crew members, would not even touch the peel and used pliers to toss it over board. Well we proved them wrong and had a fun trip.
I would recommend the Strike Zone to anyone looking for a fun fishing trip that is less intense then sports fishing. You might want to bring along a few extra goodies (no Bananas) as the lunch is a little lite but who cares it is all about the fun and fishing.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have been going on the Strike Zone ever since I was about 6. I live on the Beautiful island of Maui, and am blessed to have Uncles and Aunties, and even my father, with the best jobs on the island:) This is one of my favorite things to do, EVER. For me, I am a total mermaid, so I love being on the water and listening to the small waves crashing:) I recommend Strike Zone to people who can follow instructions, get along with others, handle sharing a boat with a possible 19 people, and be OK with the possibility of not catching fish. Fishing is not all about how good you are. It is about how the tides are, how the moon is, and even what mood the fish are in! You have to be OK if you dont catch any fish because you may or may not. If you dont catch anything, enjoy the ride! you have 6-8 lovely hours on the waters in Hawaii! If your there in Whale season, maybe you will see some Humpback Whales, or you might even see some dolphins! Please enjoy the ride on Strike Zone, and remember Aloha, and Kokua:)
- Tyler <3

Reviewed March 24, 2012

If you are new to fishing then you might be happy with these guys. If you have fished off the coasts of oregon,california or washington,you will be sorely dissapointed. I really do hope I caught these guys on a bad day,as this boat was the one everyone talked about. My girlfriend caught a very large bottomfish(the policy is you get to keep all bottomfish you catch). She was given a chunk of it, which totally blew their "fish policy" out of the water. The fish obviously were not interested in the bait we were provided with. Any one else who has fished in the ocean knows what you do when this happens. You switch bait. Not here. You just keep watching the fish swim up to your bait,smell it,and leave it. Any tangles in your line or reel are yours to fix,and evidentally not the crews concern. Poor instruction also on how to actually fish for what we were targeting. There was one deckhand who I thought was helpful,but when I tried to tip him,he informed me he could not accept a tip unless I tipped everyone. A little boy also caught a large bottomfish and some small ones,and the crew tried to take some of his fish too,but his dad would not let them. Again,its not about catching the fish,but when the crew shows that they don't really even know HOW to catchthe fish, and when they try and yank the fish you catch from you(violating their own policy)well,you won't be getting a return visit from me.

4  Thank fisherman1231