Huelo Point Lookout
  • Beachfront
Sprecks Plantation House(Spreckelsville)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsrainbow cottagefresh eggsprivate hot tubfruitroad to hanamy husband and ioff the beaten pathhawaiian treatsevery directionocean viewfour dayslocation was perfectthe cliffskylightprivacyhousevacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 4, 2010

We stayed in Rainbow Cottage for 6 nights. It is a lovely loft style cottage, with large windows and beautiful views. It is very private with beautiful gardens, a lovely freeform swimming pool (shared with other guests however we never saw anyone else in it), your own private courtyard with a hot tub and outdoor shower (there is also an indoor shower), and a hammock stretched between two palms to watch the stars. It has all appliances needed to cook your own meals, fridge, toaster oven, rice cooker, toaster, electric fry pan, coffee maker, and gas barbeque. Other incredible features are the giant skylights over the bed and the spiral staircase. Rainbow cottage is attached to the main house and another cottage by a very long screened, lit, covered breezeway all the way from the car parking...I think if it was really raining then you might appreciate this fact.
We stayed in Halekuela cottage for one night. It is a seperate studio cottage with garden views, a small hot tub and outdoor shower. Beds in both units were quite comfie and we slept well.
Jeff and Sharyn Stone are very gracious hosts. Upon our late arrival we were pleased to discover a lovely bottle of wine and box of chocolates and everything in our fridge to create a delicious breakfast. This meant we didn't have to rush out and go shopping. There was also fresh flowers throughout the cottage. They allowed us extra time to hang out on our final day due to the fact that we had an evening flight and also because we just didn't want to leave!!
It's a great location (3 mile marker Hana hwy) to do your tour to Hana as well to head to Haleakala crater. If you want a beach holiday than bear in mind that you'll be driving some. There is a beach nearby but the waves were huge when we were there in Jan. We went to Maui for the nature and the hiking so this location was great for us. We also just stayed at the cottage for one whole day and relaxed and enjoyed the tranquility.
The farm fresh eggs and herbs available on site,and fresh fruit growing either in the garden or available inexpensively at roadside stands is great for those who seek a healthy lifestyle. This is a great place for travellers who seek peace and tranquility, appreciate privacy, and like having a "home away from home". It is off the beaten path, a bit of an adventure to find (especially in the dark), but worth every step to get there.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank goodnessgracious
Reviewed January 2, 2010

The owners, Jeff and Sharyn Stone (Sharyn did appear in 'Basic Instinct' btw), are sharing their piece of paradise with the rest of us. Expect 2 of the most gracious people you could wish to meet (Sharyn is an ex-Aussie gem) who will move meet your every need and are also an incredible resource on all things Maui.

Accommodation was exceptional (guest stay in separate housing units) with unparalleled views over North Cliff side ocean.

We already have made reservations for the December 2010 (staying an extra 5 days thsi time).

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Well if there is Heaven on Earth, I found it at Huelo Point Lookout. It IS what Hawaii is supposed to be. Even tho most people think Hawaii=Beach, this is the real Hawaii.
It is such an awesome location, still close enough to civilization, if that's what you choose. But if you want to chill and hang out with nature, this is the place.
Each "Lookout" is totally private, my last trip was in Rainbow, and the bedroom at the top of the beautiful wooden spiral staircase is to die for, all glass with unbelievable views in every direction.
Outside is the most amazing nautilus shower and private hot tub surrounded by beautiful vegitation and then a few steps in the other direction is a huge swimming pool also in a lush tropical setting.
I hate to admit it but on my last trip, I didn't even stick my toe in the ocean or drive past Paia. I was totally content hanging out on the property. It was one of my favorite Maui vacations. I still have two more "lookouts" to experience, Star and Haleakala, can hardly wait.
Also I'd like to mention Sharyn's attention to detail, beautiful fresh flowers in every room, coffee, fruit and the Wine!! As my co-traveler said "It was 10 Stars" and I have to agree, the wind, the rain and the sun, it was peaceful bliss.
If you want a real Hawaiian experience you've got to check out this place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Twstid1
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I have been coming to Maui for years, I love the place. Maui has all sorts of attractions: Fantastic beaches, incredible restaurants, unbelievable scenic drives, superb hikes, spectacular volcanic formations, Waterfalls that look like they have been made for movies (and many have been in movies!) golfing for beginners and Pros, year round perfect climate, great surfing... but what draws me back there again and again are the world class Kite surfing (and windsurfing) conditions!
I want to thank Sharyn and Jeff (owners of Huelo Point Look Out) for jumping through all the hoops needed to create their stunning Bed and Breakfast on the North Shore of Maui. This is truly one of a kind escape haven that will keep me coming back to Maui again and again.
A few quick points about Huelo Point Lookout:
1) It is off the beaten track just enough to really be in the true Paradise that Maui has to offer. BUT it is less that 1/2 an hour from everything I just mentioned above (and mostly only 15 minutes).
2) It is at the end of a country lane - NO TRAFFIC!!!
3) It is on the North Shore - the best part of Maui, this area is NOT Touristy, no resorts, just lots of green jungle and great beaches!
4) It has an incredible garden - year round fruit and veges!!! All - Organic!
5) Perhaps most importantly - it is family run, great hosts (Jeff and Sharyn). For me this is what makes it unique. I know I have a relaxed, pressure free stay, so I can really enjoy my break.
6) They have great Jaccuzzis - very important for all you aging kite surfers (that's me!!!). Also important if you just love to jump in the hot tub after a hard day's vacationing of any sort!!! There is a pool too - love it.
7) They have GREAT VIEWS. Ocean, coastal and if you are like me (early riser) INCREDIBLE SUNRISES.
8) They have California King Beds - the best :-)
8) It is GREAT VALUE. To get this sort of accommodation in a hotel would cost twice as much or more (in some cases WAY MORE!)
I've now stayed in Rainbow Lookout, Star Lookout, and Haleakala cottage. All great spots - at Rainbow I was there with my sweetie - need I say more? Haleakala has more of a hideaway feeling and I stayed longer - the full kitchen made me feel totally at "home" ... and Star, with its "old style" feel is different again! Next up: Sunrise Lookout. Can't wait!
I can't recommend this place enough. Go to Maui, Stay there and have the vacation that you always dreamed about.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank michaal1966
Reviewed October 22, 2009

My partner and I recently spent two delirious weeks at Huelo Pt. Lookout and want to express my thanks to our hosts Sharyn and Jeff for providing us with out every need (and we are fussy people) Each of the accommodations is totally different, tucked away amongst tropical greenery and exotic gardens. So we had all the privacy one could desire as well as the opportunity to explore the local towns and great restaurants. I truly believe this is an unspoiled paradise and hope it remains a well-kept secret from the masses. If you want to get in touch with the real Hawaii and not just stay in a big resort hotel, then this is the vacation for you. It sure was for us! We even picked our own papayas in the morning for breakfast! Apparently the whole property has been organic for years, so we are extra happy to support "green". We were lucky enough to stay in the Rainbow Lookout, but we did have a peek into the other places as well and they were all gorgeous! Fantastic views of the mountains and the sea. Jeff and Sharyn are great hosts an always happy to give advice on all the local adventures and be our guides is required. We just loved the "outdoor" showers! And the pool! Some days we just stayed at home. What more could one ask of a vacation in paradise? Five stars - YOU BET!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple