Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast
$469
  • Breakfast included
$479
  • Restaurant
All reviewsyogurtold hawaiiother guestsroad to hanahawaiian hometripadvisor reviewshot breakfastwonderful stayold charmminutes from the airporthawaiian historyearly risersspacious common areasfamily styleroad noisegreat base to explorepeaceful surroundings
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our time at Haiku Plantation Inn. Sandy made us feel totally at home and had some really useful tips for hikes, restaurants, things to see and do. Her property has a very tropical vibe with a big mango tree in the yard, heliconias, and the areca palms surrounding the property keep it very secluded and quiet. The place has a very interesting history which she'll tell you about. We live on Oahu and have stayed in a a number of B&Bs on the neighbor islands. This was our favorite. Thanks Sandy!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glenn R
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Ahhh...peaceful Hawaii

I just returned from Maui and enjoyed my stay in such a beautiful setting, provided by the Haiku Plantation Inn. The location is very private and peaceful with huge tropical trees surrounding the property. I loved walking around the yard and gardens each morning with my Hawaiian coffee in hand and planning my day. Breakfast varied daily but was always fresh with lots of healthier choices. My room was neat, clean and nicely decorated with a comfy bed and I agree with other reviews - I did sleep very well here.

I was also impressed by the care taken daily to attend to each guest's particular requests and needs. Sandy really seems to care about her guests, and is a wealth of knowledge of places to go, unusual things to see and her tips on places to eat were invaluable. For me, my experience of this B&B was peaceful, pleasurable and perfect. I will return soon to my new found home on Maui.

Room Tip: In visiting with other guests, I think any room would be perfect.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laurel H
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We, my girl friend and I, decided to take a few days vacation and came across a warm and welcoming bed and breakfast. Sandy was an amazing host and went above and beyond making this experience a one of a kind. Haiku plantation is a piece of true Maui, rural atmosphere, clean rooms, and peaceful sleep. Sandy even supplied us with great tips on sight seeing which is information most tourists have to pay for. The location is great for the perfect get away and a chance to feel like one of the locals. And it was amazing to find that the house is part of Maui's history. Sandy beautifully decorated the house with charm. It was very relaxing to enjoy the hot tub that is on property as well. If you are interested in Hawaii history, warm hospitality, and a great night sleep on comfy beds, then this is the place to go. We will be coming back very soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the plumeria suite, which is a wonderful well lit room with windows for a nice breeze, and the only room in the house with a bath tub! Queen size bed and comfortable mattress to help fall asleep with ease.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank danin352
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The location was great for our trip to the crater and Hana drive. It rained every night, which was very relaxing to us. The house is open and spacious and located within walking distance to nice restaurants. There is also a small grocery store in town and laundrymat. The bed in the Plumeria suite is squeaky and could use a new mattress cover (not because of us, it's just old). The living area is a nice place for the family to hang out. There is a hot tub in back, but we didn't try it out. Breakfasts are simple with good coffee, juice, fruit, cereal, bagels, and sweet breads each morning. Sandy is a wonderful hostess who gives very good advice regarding upcountry activities. The only downside is the daily rooster screeching that occurs somewhere between 4 and 5 am. Next time, I'm bringing a sling shot with me! :)

Room Tip: Parents stayed in the Haiku room and enjoyed the windows/views (minus the rooster wake up calls).
Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
MauiTravels, Owner at Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review, and we did have a lovely time with your family. Mom was terrific and we thought everyone enjoyed their stay per our daily conversations and about returning soon and also our comment book. If we had known something was at issue with the bed, or anything, we would have taken action immediately. We noticed the mattress cover as well when cleaning the room and it was changed with a new cover immediately. We do clean and replace mattress covers upon cleaning and making up beds. As far as the bed, we have never had a report prior about a squeak. I wish they would have said something while here and it would have been resolved right away. I have checked and for normal use there is no noise, but if you do bounce on it just right, there is a slight squeak , probably due to the moisture lately and the frame. So rest assured that will be handled immediately. Now for the rooster comment. We are in the country, and there are country sounds and not the noise or sounds of the resorts or main towns. Our noises are different and can be odd to some who have only stayed within resorts and understand and have toleration for the common noises of a high visitor traffic location. However, please note that even the resorts have issues with wild birds including chickens. Maui as with all islands in Hawaii, have wild chickens all throughout the island. If you pay attention as you drive and explore, you see them at the airports, on the roads, at the main malls, at restaurants and in the rain forests. Wild life around is not a reflection on us solely but a way of life for everyone here. On Kauai chickens are protected from harm by law, so a sling shot there would bring a fine. This is upcountry, you might hear horses, cows, chickens, an occasional tractor and people living in a rural atmosphere while growing their own food, & raising their families away from the hustle of the city and resorts. Possibly it is not for everyone, but if you want to see the real Hawaii as we love her, we hope that you will come stay with us or one of the other small establishments that we all worked so hard to get approved for visitors; Places where you can stay away from the sounds and lifestyle of the mega resort districts. But please have patience with rural Hawaii as this is true reality and not the installed illusion of the resorts, which can be a lot of fun as well. thank you for your time everyone.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We spent three nights at the Haiku Plantation Inn in March 2013 and found it to be wonderful. After the hustle and bustle of Waikiki and Lahania we found the Plantation Inn an oasis of peace and quiet. It was wonderful to stay in what is really a heritage property over 150 years old yet equipped with modern and comfortable conveniences.Sandy has decorated the house in context with its stately home status, our rooms were great with their own bathrooms , breakfast provided an extensive choice and a chance to meet other guests and Sandy was an excellent host willing to offer any help needed. We loved the gardens and felt that we were staying in the real Hawaii. If you want a modern resort/hotel that is the same as just about any resort/hotel in any location don't stay here but if you want a real old Hawaii experience with a host that welcomes you into her home , stay at The Haiku Plantation Inn. We are so glad we did.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
MauiTravels, Owner at Haiku Plantation Inn: Maui Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Aloha to our fabulous guests. I just wanted to say briefly that it warms my heart to know that people do love a stay in such a wonderful historic home, surrounded by old plantaton trees and gardens. Also, that our efforts taken daily to keep this property true to its heritage is respected and enjoyed by our guests. It validates that our dream and efforts are for a positive outcome, which is to bring vintage Hawaii to travelers so they can experience what Hawaii is truly about. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your opinion here with a review. We look forward to your return and happy travels in the meantime.