Maui Eco Retreat
$600
$420
Hotels.com
$162
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
$508
$469
Hyatt.com
  • Beachfront
Residence Inn by Marriott Maui Wailea(Wailea)(Great Value!)
$369
$299
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
$449
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbamboo templeprivate waterfallmy husband and idolphin roomswim in the oceanbeautiful landclose to naturebeautiful settingthe kitchenour honeymoonraphaeltrailgridvolunteersenergyadventurerope
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It is important to recognize that this is not intended as a hotel or bed-and-breakfast. Although it may be used as such, it is best thought of as a place for reflection. I had the Lotus room which gives a view of the ocean right from the bed. The grounds are awesome and there is a wonderful trail to a rocky beach which requires one to scale a slope with the aid of a rope. I thought it was great.

Everything was comfortable, clean and orderly and I enjoyed it very much. It's the kind of place where turning off the computer and cell phone for the duration of the stay would be the best way to experience it.

Room Tip: The retreat's website gives an accurate description of the rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoscoePinscher
Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was my first time on Maui...my partner Barbara had been there about 25 years ago so we were both excited to see what was awaiting us. Not knowing much about the island I found the Maui Retreat on the official website of the Hawaii tourist organization - and it turned out to be the best choice for a very relaxing vacation. Whereas the almost desert-like west coast of Maui is crowded with big resorts the small Maui Retreat is nestled in a most beautiful lush tropical setting on the north coast about 1.5 miles off the picturesque Hana road, some 40 minutes drive south of the airport near the enchanting little town of Paia with nice restaurants and the best organic food market on the island. The coast is rocky with breathtaking views, and there are only a few small beaches but there is none of the hustle-bustle and traffic you find on the west coast. At the retreat there's no sound except the birds in the morning. From our bedroom window we looked out at a lotus pond and the ocean beyond...Kutira and Rafael (the owners) and their friendly staff created a real paradise boasting the first ever building in the US made totally from bamboo (the bamboo temple). You can book classes of buddhist spiritual teachings and Oceanic Tantra (the owners have spent long years in India) but you can also just relax and enjoy the incredible beauty, harmony and TV-free tranquility of this unique place as we did. We spent our days touring the island and were happy every day to return to our retreat for a refreshing and undisturbed sleep. If you're looking for quiet hide-away in an unspoiled tropical setting there's no better place on Maui! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The rooms differ in size, furniture and decoration. Our room (The Lotus room) had a wall-to-wall sliding door/window looking out on a small deck and a lotus pool, with palm trees, bamboo and the ocean beyond. All rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Thai Hale house was a place for healing and for calming my mind, body, and spirit. While there we got word that my sister was having emergency surgery for cancer they had just discovered. There was really nothing I could do for my sister if I returned home, so we stayed at the Thai House and let the trade winds wash over my body, the scenery from the lanai focus my mind on the beauty of the moment, and the peace and tranquility I found there soothed my spirit. I felt a calmness that has helped me deal with my sister's illness as I have returned home. Kutira and the entire staff were warm and comforted me. My husband and I found hiking around the property challenging and just the thing we needed that week. Thai Hale is a place to renew and refresh. I am thankful for that week. It has and will continue to sustain me through the difficult days ahead.

Room Tip: We found the stairs too scary to manage ... especially thinking of traveling up and down during the night. We would have loved to sleep together in a queen sized bed ... but it was upstairs. It would have been nice if the single bed had been upstairs and the queen bed downstairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Maui Eco Retreat is the most peaceful and harmony place we have ever visited before. We are really proud of the land owner: Kutira and Raphael who have contributed more than 20 years to create this sacred unique place for our human-being. It seems to bring heaven to the earth! Amazing phenomena! Our family spent whole week to stay at the Thai Hale cottage which is totally made by bamboo, visited the temples, the ocean trail, beautiful waterfalls and enjoyed sunrise and sunset just in front of oceanview. What a serenity and calm. We also love their Eco-friendly enviroment and solar energy systems. It provide enough hot water and illumine lighting. The retreat only use the nature resourse to supply their facilities and try their best to return back to the mother of earth. In order to protect our limited resourse, Maui Eco retreat show us many good habits and living style. We learned a lot from the host of retreat. Deeply appreciate from our hearts. We believe we will come back sooner or later and strongly recommend to all of our friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Maui Eco Retreat is truely paradise on earth! Kutira and Raphael have worked their life's sustainable mission into this sacred land. Completely off the grid, the solar energy and underground water heating system (always more than enough hot water) , along with their bamboo farm and housing is in alignment with the earth's green movement, and they offered this long before it became popular amongst main stream. Maui Retreat offers the tranquility and visual picturesque that few places in the world can aspire to - and with such abundance! Language seems trite in trying to verbalize this amazing experience - watch their video. From doing yoga at sunrise, to visitiing the temples, the ocean, lagoons, and the incredible waterfalls, Maui Retreat is the most profound and spiritual place I have ever visited. You feel it from the moment you arrive and for me, it has been life changing. We stayed at the Thai Hale Cottage overlooking the ocean. Soo healing! Woke up to exotic birds and majestic sunrise. If you are seeking true peace and serenity, Maui Retreat is the place to go! And if you look closely, you may catch a glimpse of a whale or two!

Room Tip: Tell the owners what you are looking for - they will steer you in the right direction.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends