“Beautiful Hawaiian Art and a charming artist!”

Mike Carroll Gallery
Ranked #2 of 34 things to do in Lanai City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: You'll find the Mike Carroll Gallery nestled among the towering Cook Pines of Dole Park in historic Lana'i City. Featuring original paintings by Mike and his fellow award-winning guest artists, fine art photography, handcrafted jewelry, bowls turned from local woods, and a surprising collection of Asian antiques. See why we've been called "One of Hawaii's most beautiful galleries!" Open 7 days a week (Mon-Sun 10Am-6PM)
Olympia, Washington
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 175 helpful votes
“Beautiful Hawaiian Art and a charming artist!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We enjoyed visiting with Mike both here at the gallery and also up at The Lodge. He has a variety of art of sale as well as some beautiful assorted greeting cards which I purchased.
Be sure and look at the items in the window that benefit Lanai Animal Rescue. You might even find a friendly cat in the window.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank bczican
lanaimike, Owner at Mike Carroll Gallery, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Aloha bczican,

Thank you so much for your kind review...and thanks for mentioning our greeting card collections! While we have original paintings of Lana'i by well-known painters from the Islands (and even the Mainland), we also carry an array of souvenir prints and greeting cards in several sizes.

Mahalo, too, for letting visitors know about our "Kitty Korner" donation center for the Lana'i Animal Rescue Center. I'm pretty sure you won't find another gallery in Hawaii that donates 100% of its proceeds as we do with this section, but we feel it's important to give back to our community. (And the cat in the window is named "Bugs")

Wishing you a happy 2013, and hoping to see you back on Lana'i,

Benicia, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Lovely little gallery”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

A lovely little gallery right on Dole Park in "downtown" Lana'i City. The owner/signature artist, Mike Carroll, is usually there and is a pleasure to meet. Along with his own art work, he also show cases other artists. You are sure to find something beautiful here. In 2008 during our first visit to Lana'i, my husband and I purchased two of Mike's watercolors, framed in beautiful koa wood, to commemorate our honeymoon stay on Lana'i.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank SteffiRon
lanaimike, Owner at Mike Carroll Gallery, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Aloha SteffiRon,

My sincere thanks to you for writing such a nice review of our little gallery...and we're thrilled that you enjoyed your time on Lana'i so much four years ago that you returned in 2012! We've seen a number on honeymooners in the gallery recently who, like you in 2008, were on the hunt for art to commemorate their stay. I think you'll agree that it's pretty hard to imagine a more peaceful and quiet place than Lana'i for a honeymoon--I hope that comes through in my work.

Here's hoping that the art you chose continues to bring back great memories of Lana'i,

Oklahoma
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“A Hidden Gem in Lanai City”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

During our trip to Lanai, we stayed at the Hotel Lanai. There were several beautiful prints by Mike Carroll. While walking around Lanai City, we walked into the gallery and were instantly greeted by Mike.

He was real and authentic and made us feel completely welcome. He instantly made us feel at ease. His work was amazing and so were many of the other pieces by other artists. We had already bought prints from the hotel, but we'll definitely have to go back and buy something from the gallery.

In short, terrific guy, fantastic gallery, and a wonderful opportunity to possibly meet the artist. Getting to talk to him was one of the highlights of the trip and we can't wait to go back to Lanai! It's nice, looking at the framed prints and looking at his Facebook page, definitely makes uslong to visit Lanai again. Mike is the real deal!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank WorldTravelers1234
lanaimike, Owner at Mike Carroll Gallery, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Aloha WorldTravelers1234,

Thanks so much for reviewing our gallery and mentioning our guest artists! We are proud to showcase the work of 30 artists including jewelers, woodworkers, photographers, and other painters as well. And while the resorts will have a few examples of my work in the gift shops, the complete print collection and original oils are in the gallery.

It was a pleasure to welcome you to the gallery...I'm so happy that my work makes you long for Lana'i...please come back soon!

A hui hou,

Santa Barbara, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Anniversary Commissioned Art - Mike Carroll Gallery - Lanai”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Mike, Kathy & Diane are some of the nicest folks you ever want to meet. Mike is a wonderful artist who not only offers original works but commissioned paintings as well. My husband & I were married on Kauai 25 yrs. ago at the chapel at Coco Palms Resort. As a gift for my husband, I asked Mike if he could duplicate a photo of my husband & I in the chapel. It is amazing and and now hangs along side "In the Shade of the Palm", another Mike Carroll original. I highly recommend you take time to visit the gallery to see his work and all he has to offer. It is definitely worth a visit!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank golfngirl23
lanaimike, Owner at Mike Carroll Gallery, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Aloha golfngirl23,

I can't tell you how much fun it was to "re-capture" that special memory of your marriage at the Coco Palms Wedding Chapel! I really enjoy "surprise" commissions like yours...and thanks for sharing the the video of your husband opening your gift.

And mahalo for recommending our gallery to TripAdvisor readers! We work hard to break the stereotype of art galleries as being "snooty", and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your visit (again!) We look forward to welcoming you back to our off-the-beaten-path gallery one day soon.

A hui hou,

Seattle, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful Lanai, Mike's gallery is an amazing little gem!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We spent a day on Lanai to celebrate my husband's 50th trip....I had read reviews of every single business on Lanai prior...cos I wanted our day to be perfect....and it was! I had read about Mike's gallery but since we are not art collectors....I wasn't planning on visiting...but I am SO glad we did! It is a really unique and incredible gallery, and Mike's work is truly beautiful. We enjoyed visiting the gallery, chatting with Mike and ended up buying 4 prints complete with Koa wood frames....and they are now hanging proudly on the wall next to the wedding picture, lol! Mike does a really great job capturing Lanai's beauty....and this has got to be the best kind of souvenir, ever! We will have his beautiful paintings with Hawaiian Koa wood frames to enjoy forever! The paintings were 4 different angles of hulupoe bay, with sweetheart rock and the tide pools....where we had snorkeled just earlier that day, amazing! What was even more amazing, was that we forgot to buy tee shirt souvenirs before leaving Lanai (this is something we do for fun at every new destination)...and Diane at the gallery was so super nice, she helped us purchase the tee shirts we wanted, and shipped it with our art!! How amazing is this experience? WOW. I sincerely appreciate Mike, Diane and the gallery, and hope to visit Lanai again. This experience with Mike's gallery has inspired me to start collecting art...!

Visited October 2012
lanaimike, Owner at Mike Carroll Gallery, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Aloha Dacrazycatlady,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your visit to our little gallery! We often hear about the poor experiences guests have had in galleries on the Mainland and on other Islands, and we wanted our gallery to be 180 degrees from that (this is friendly little Lana'i after all!) And thanks for letting everyone know about the above-and-beyond service Diane delivers every day...we're so lucky to have her in the gallery (and you should her hand-crafted jewelry).

I'm so honored that you gave my work such a prominent place in you home...I hope it brings wonderful memories of your time on Lana'i!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lana'i soon,