“bland, generic, overhyped, overpriced”
Review of One Forty

One Forty
Reserve with OpenTable
One Forty is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Lanai City
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Manele Bay
Description: ONE FORTY's name pays homage to Lanai's beautiful 140 square miles and a steak prepared at 140 degrees. At Manele Bay, enjoy traditional breakfast fare with an island influence and dinner featuring hand cut steaks and fish caught just off shore. With an emphasis on local ingredients, our Chef showcases the flavors native to Hawaii. Choose a wine from our accomplished 300 bottle selection and enjoy the picturesque view of Hulopoe Bay.
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A night out to remember. Sure but not the way we expected. A rhushed experience. Food delivered so fast that it could not have been prepared on the spot. Bland taste, poor craftmanship, meat overcooked (ordered rare), totally generic and uninteresting menu. Red wine delivered at "room temperature", which is a disaster in the tropics. No understanding from the staff.
Prices worthy of a Michelin star establishment and quality from a road side diner. Sorry, this is not what it pretends to be.

1  Thank mipdantravel

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Food and service were impecable. Wonderful ambience. Food was the most fresh and flavorable we've had. We would recommend this as a true dining experience.

FourSeasonsLanai, Manager at One Forty, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Aloha daddymack26,

Thank you for writing such an outstanding review regarding your recent dining experience at Hulopo'e Court. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed Chef Joseph Yaple's menu and the high level of service provided by our team. You should know that we just recently unveiled Chef Joseph's very impressive Fall/Winter menu to rave reviews.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lana'i soon.

Kind regards,
Peter Hingson
General Manager Hulopo'e Court

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'm sitting down in my office days later and my mouth is watering as I think back about my meal here. I had an amazing meal at Hulopo'e Court. I suggest the blind tasting or "Chef's tasting" which is what we had.

First course: Hawaiian poke. It was a tasty start to the meal. Very fresh Ahi served with a very creative Sriracha(sp?) Aioli. It was amazing. I had to make myself stop devouring it. You have to savor it, pace yourself for it. Either way, I cleaned the plate.

Second: Roasted Scallops. Mind you, neither my friend or I liked scallops. We both said that we have NEVER liked scallops. They were amazing, the right texture, the right size, fresh, with a really nice caper/bacon/tomato relish. I going by taste of what the possible ingredients may be, I can't wrap my mind around the flavors.

Third and favorite: Ahi Tuna. Can't really put into words how great this was. Literally. From being loud and obnoxious since the day we landed on the island, this is the thing that brought us to silence. A friend who was enjoying the same thing said "This is the quietest we have been all week". Amazing, simply amazing dish. Oh! the Wasabi puree deserves an extra mention. Very creative.

Next up was the Oscar: The tenderloin was just right. Everything about this dish was hitting every point. The generous portion of crab, the very very very delicious asparagus and a nice compliment by a very tasty Bearnaise.

Dessert: We had the dessert collection. All very very very good. But the best one was the carrot cake. I'm a carrot cake snob and I am very picky about it. I caught myself closing my eyes on the second bite. I don't think I have ever done that with dessert. Delicious!

Treat yourself to this place. Amazing food, great staff, nice wine selection. Thank you Chef Joseph Yaple and his team.

Pros: Everything.
Con: Not enough stomach space to try it all over again in one sitting.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We decided on a whim to try Hulopo'e Court for dinner. Boy, am I ever glad we did? Chef Joseph and his team prepared what may be the best meal I have EVER eaten- mahi mahi served with forbidden rice infused with coconut and ginger, served with sesame glazed book Choy and a macadamia purée.... You had me at coconut infused.....ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. Thank you- I'll be back tomorrow to see what you have!!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We had Horrible service! No smiles, no intro of our server. It may because we were local and the employees rather service the tourist first. Very sad! "we pay the same amount as these tourist! we shouldnt be treated any different!" very rude. And to top the disappointment, our order was wrong. It came out totally wrong from what the menu has said.

FourSeasonsLanai, Manager at One Forty, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Aloha Lanai808,

Mahalo for taking the time to review your dining experience with us. My sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on our excellent service and exquisite cuisine and appreciate you bringing this to my attention so that our team can identify areas of improvement and address immediately. Thank you again for your honest feedback.
Kind regards,