“Cat Heaven”

Lanai Cat Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 34 things to do in Lanai City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Longing for the cat you left at home? Don't miss Lanai`s open-air sanctuary, a happy haven for spayed and neutered cats. Imagine a large playground in paradise, where cats romp and play in Hawaii's sunshine, and snooze under shady trees. Purring cats of all shapes and sizes eagerly await your visit. Our caregivers, who joyfully care for the cats, would love to meet you too. If you're interested in adopting a cat, we love matchmaking!
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cat Heaven”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I am not really that big on cats to begin with...a life time of allergies has kept me from really enjoying a cute, soft, pettable animal. But I so enjoyed LARC..the cats crushing the door to get at you, like your Rod Steward ....how often in life do you get that kind of reception? Since it is a outdoor enclosure and the trade winds are blowing, I was able to stay and enjoy petting and brushing the cats to my hearts content. Cathy and all the staff were incredible....the love they have for the animals and all the measures taken to insure a good quailty of life is heartwarming. Do stop by there and see what love looks like...careful there are some really cute cats to fall in love with.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Seawall1964

• Korean first
Omaha, Nebraska
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“If you loves cats, dont miss this opportunity of a lifetime”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We met Kathy at the Art Gallery and the conversation soon came around to cats. SHe invited us to visit the sanctuary and we made plans to visit. We met the staff, Lynne who is a Saint and the the other staff members and volunteers. The care and joy of the cats was impactful. The love you feel just surrounds the grounds like a halo. We couldnt spend much time due to plans, but it is an experience I will never forget. Thanks Kathy and Lynne for showing us your heart!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank ExitNebraska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great cat house”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

If you love cats or animals the rescue centre is worth the trip . We visited there were 350 cats housed , most were very good at working the human for treats and rubs . It is a worth while endeavour , a lot of feral cats now have a life long home and are out of the ecosystem . Great centre , staff are very accommodating with visitors and the cats love ya .

1 Thank M M
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“There are actually THREE five star hotels on Lanai... LARC being one of them!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We went to Hawaii for our 20th wedding anniversary and the Lanai Animal Sanctuary was the highlight of our trip! We were greeted at the entrance by many kitties with tails sky high. The shelter is well designed and clean. There are many different areas for the kitties to chillax which is great because some are shy and there are some that are very friendly. They are a real cast of characters! I have traveled a lot and seen homeless cats (De Poezenboot in Amsterdam http://www.poezenboot.nl/ and the cats of the Recoleta Cemetary in Buenos Aires) and I must say, these cats are very well taken care of which is a reflection of the amount of care given by the Kathy, Amanda, the vets, volunteers and staff. I huge thank you to the land owners for allowing this WONDERFUL facility to exist. I think everyone wins here! I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd five star hotel on the island and possibly the best place on earth to be if you are a homeless kitty. My only regret is not spending enough time here and not taking Louie home. He is an absolute LOVE BUG! I have attached pictures of Pierre. The only thing missing on this guy is a little french beret and a loaf of bread in his hand. A picture of cats lined up to get on papa cat's lap. Take a number and get in line! Finally, a picture of LOUIE... who I can't stop thinking about... my new love! =^..^=

Visited January 2013
2 Thank FrenchieCat
Olympia, Washington
103 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“A purrfect place to visit”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had a great visit to the Lanai Animal Rescue Center. It is amazing that these formally feral cats are now so friendly and excited to see visitors for petting and purring.
Many of these cats are more than ready to go to forever homes. Unfortunately, much of the housing on Lanai does not allow pets. Hopefully the landlord will change this policy SOON!
If you visit Mike Carroll's Gallery in Lanai City there are a number of things for sale that, when purchased, will benefit this shelter. In the alternative, visit the shelter website and make a donation.

Visited December 2012