“only option for scuba on lanai”
Review of Trilogy Lana'i

Trilogy Lana'i
Ranked #1 of 8 Tours in Lanai City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We provide ocean activities with island hospitality for people staying on the island of Lana'i. If you are looking to visit Lana'i for the day from Maui please go to our sister company Trilogy Excursions. Lana'i offers world famous SCUBA diving and snorkeling with consistent 100+ ft visibility, underwater lava tubes to explore and an amazing dramatic sea cliff coastline scattered with old Hawaiian burial caves and homestead platforms (all visible from the boat). We offer a 2-tank boat dive which regularly visits 1st Cathedrals dive site, which is just 5 minutes outside of the Harbor. We only take out small groups and keep a 6:1 passenger to Dive Master ratio. We also offer snorkel trips, sunset sails and mammal searches (exploring the coastline looking for spinner dolphins and depending on the time of year humpback whales). We also offer SNUBA and Discover SCUBA diving off Hulopo'e beach week days only.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
N. California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“only option for scuba on lanai”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

went diving with trilogy since it was the only option for diving while we stayed at the four seasons manele bay. the worst part is that 2 divers are required to go diving. the night before my second day of diving i got a voicemail on my room phone saying that the diving was cancelled because i was the only one signed up. i've been diving many places in the world that still took me out diving when i was the only one, and those dives were half the price of trilogy. Alternatively i've had dive shops put me on a different dive boat when there wasn't enough people, but trilogy wont do that because they do not allow any other dive shop that comes over to this island from maui to use their pier. This is total [--]. the day i wasn't allowed to dive, there were two other dive boats off the coast of the hotel diving, but i would not be allowed to go out with them.

LARRY - please fix this. you built the worlds best software company without being a monopoly. please eliminate this monopolistic practice for diving.

The diving experience was good, but could have been better. last time i dove these sites, i dove with extended horizons scuba out of maui. EH was a much better experience than trilogy. however if you stay on lanai, you can only dive trilogy, and if 2 divers aren't signed up than you CAN'T DIVE...

for starters, trilogy is extremely expensive. $189 + tax for a 2 tank dive. this includes gear, but is the most i have every paid to go diving. there are no discounts for bringing my own gear. they take you out on a decent size inflatable. there are 3 crew on the boat. the captain driving the boat, the dive master, and the helper. This is really nice, since they take care of setting up your tank before the dive, and they pull your tank out of the water after the dive. they have a selection of sandwiches and chips and soda as well as plenty of water on the boat.

the dive master is a nice guy, and gave a good predive briefing, but really doesn't find anything under water for you, doesn't point anything out, or teach you anything about the local sea life. this was very different different than EH who brought a slate down and pointed out sea life and wrote down on the slate what we were looking at.

all of the crew were very friendly and very helpful with anything i needed.

one side note however. i, like most divers, am concerned about safety as a priority. The helper on this dive did something that is a very unsafe practice and refused to admit it. She swapped my tank for me, and checked the pressure by turning the tank on. When i went to put on the tank to dive i noticed that my pressure gage said 3000 lbs. just for additional safety i checked the valve and the tank was turned off! she did not bleed the line when she turned off the tank. this is a very dangerous practice, since a diver may see the pressure gage as on, and not actually check the valve, then jump in the water go down to depth, and have no air!
i told her that my pressure gage said 3000lbs but my tank valve was off. she responded, "of course, it will show that if you don't bleed the line." i told her that this was a dangerous practice, as i read a story in DAN magazine about a dive accident occurring because of it. She would not acknowledge and instead defended the practice as being the right thing to do because "she is there to make sure nothing goes wrong, and a predive check should catch this"

overall, i would not recommend this diving operation.

3 Thank thefuzzy

Kihei, Hawaii
“Trilogy Snorkeling excursion, Maui”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Captain Chris, Kevin and Carrie are soooo awesome & we had a blast. They pick you up on Kanaapali Beach. Feed you breakfast while motoring to site on a Catamaran. They are sob helpful even if its your first time in ocean do not worry.They are so good at what they do, while being fun too. You snorkle then have a bbq lunch then snorkle again at another spot then sail home!! I they are the best. We got really lucky and swam with Dolphins & Sea turtles!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Snorkeling at Honolulu bay”
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took the five hour snorkeling trip on the Trilogy IV. The trip was better than described. Morning breakfast of fresh cinnamon buns, pineapple juice and coffee hit the spot. Kerry, met us on the beach, her charming disposition set the tone for the day. We went to Honolua Bay. Swam with reef shark, turtles and a plethora of exotic fish in a beautiful coral reef. The remainder of the crew, Bailey and Nicholas were friendly and very helpful. On the return trip, Captain Kevin spread the sails and we had a wonderful sailing experience. The trip cost a bit more than other trips I've taken, but the gear was first rate and allowed me to enjoy the sights without having to deal with water problems.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Another first-rate trip with Trilogy”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We took the snorkeling and whale watching trip to Lanai. It was well organized, the food was good, and the service was top notch. One of the things I appreciate is that the crew members genuinely seem to enjoy their jobs. Each crew member does a variety of tasks and they all appear willing to to do every job. (No turf wars here.)
If you plan to take this trip, I suggest you rent your snorkel equipment from an island company that has several levels of gear. Pay a little extra and get a snorkel that has a water blocker in case of waves. I don't know the technical term since I am new to the sport. The right gear makes a huge difference for novices like me. However, if you know snorkeling, Trilogy has all the gear you need waiting for you on the island.
Our crew included Captain Chuck, Captain Dominick, Kai, and Katie. Our companion boat had Captain Yoshi, who along with Captain Chuck, cooked some amazing noodles and chicken for dinner.

If you have a limited budget for excursions while at Maui, this is definitely a "must-do".

1 Thank meli3
“Sunset Tour”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful sunset cruise. We took this tour today, March 19. We started out sailing and since it was the Whale season, we quickly changed to motors and this crew brought us in close view of a eight to ten whales! We were able to get many pictures and videos. We followed the whales for a good amount of time. The crew was Captain Kevin, Karen and Jason. They spent a good amount of time serving the appetizers and cocktails but also spent time describing what we were seeing, in terms of whale behavior. They were terrific! I would recommend this tour!