“Would NEVER recommend staying here. Please read this!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Lanai

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
Michigan
“Would NEVER recommend staying here. Please read this!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

All in all, my husband and I love Hawaii, this was our 3rd trip and we plan to return but we will NOT be visiting Lanai again.

This trip, my husband and I visited 4 of the Hawaiian Islands and spent a total of 15 nights. When we started to plan our trip we only intended to stay in Lanai for 3 nights, but upon contacting the hotel we were told there was a 4 night minimum. Therefore, we adjusted the time spent on the other 3 islands to accommodate this rule.

As for the 4 night minimum, I noticed our neighbors didn't stay more than one night (maybe it was the paper thin walls). When I questioned at the desk, I was told that they had canceled within the hotel policy. When I asked what that meant I was told they had changed their reservation over 21 days out. I said you mean to tell me if we had changed our mandatory 4 night minimum reservation over 21 days ago, we wouldn't have had to stay 4 nights? She said yes.

Now for the best part!! PAPER THIN WALLS!!! One has no idea what that truly means until you experience it. Every single word and every bodily function our neighbors made was as clear in our room as if our neighbor was in the room with us. Not to mention one neighbor, who was on his cell phone for 90 minutes starting at 4 am, even when others pounded on his door he did not stop. This is no exaggeration!!! I know more about those neighbors than I ever want to know about anyone. My husband and I spent as little time as possible in our room and when there, we tiptoed and whispered and nothing else!!!

The hotel is pretty much as it was when built with some updating being done along the way. Our room was #8 and was apparently the largest room they have. The first night sleeping was to the constant drip of the shower, 10 drips, 1 pause, 1 drip, pause and repeat. When I asked at the desk the next day to have that repaired I was told the plumbing is very old and not replaceable. Their solution was to hang a long pull type chain from the shower head to the shower floor, position it just right and the drips run down the chain and make no noise. This did work but positioning the chain just right each night was a chore.

The entire floor area between the bed and the bathroom was so squeaky that neither of us could get up during the night without waking the other one up. We probably woke our neighbors too.........

Also, we did as others suggested and rented a Jeep for 1 day. Other than breaking up the monotony of the 4 days it is NOT worth $139. The map given us by the rental company indicated sites to see. To get there meant driving over roads that allowed no faster than max 15mph while constantly braking. These were as rough as real off road driving over rock piles. Finding the "sites" indicated on the map was also difficult, and once we did, none were worth seeing. The ship wreck viewing area is a good 1/4 mile from the ship. The church and other "sites" were nothing but dilapidated and decaying structures, unsafe to enter.

The Lanai City restaurants were good for a cheap meal but the shops were very over priced. The food in our hotel dining room was absolutely fabulous and we'd highly recommend eating there. The shuttle service between the hotel and the 2 Four Season's resorts was easy to use BUT it is NOT free as others have stated.

The bright spot was taking the shuttle to the Four Seasons Manele Beach Resort. That is where we spent most of our time. Also, the Four Seasons Keole Lodge is accessible by shuttle. The grounds are beautiful but it was cloudy and rainy there most of the time.

• Liked — The dining room food was fabulous.
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls, squeaky floors, dripping faucets, 4 night minimum stay.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank FrequentTravelers02
mgrantaz, Owner - GM at Hotel Lanai, responded to this review, December 27, 2009
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

While I am happy that you found the “food in our hotel dining room was absolutely fabulous,” I am sorry that you were disappointed with several aspects of the historic Hotel Lanai. Built in 1923, it has been nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. As such, some of its characteristics cannot be changed.

One feature that cannot be changed is the single-wall construction in the rooms. Consequently, some noise does travel through the walls between the rooms. It is also one of the reasons we have no TVs in the rooms, only the separate cottage.

Another feature, the wood floor, is the original flooring and cannot be replaced. So the floors do squeak here and there. (We like to think that the squeaks give it charm.) However, the old plumbing and shower fixtures in all of the rooms were recently replaced with all new plumbing. So dripping facets are a thing of the past!

As for the “4-night minimum stay,” this was one of the policies implemented by the previous owners, which was followed by the new management for a while. But last year, that policy changed--there are no more “minimum stays” at all!

Best Regards,

Michael Charles
Owner - GM
Hotel Lanai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

Loved the steamed clams! Restaurant is awesome and reasonable for the quality!

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank orilly
Santa Cruz Ca.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

This is my second stay at the hotel . The first time we stayed in the cottage and really enjoyed it . The last trip I stayed in room 9 and was perfectly happy . Great complemenary light breakfast in the morning . I had the best dinner I've ever had on any of the islands . You must try the salad with baby greens , simply wonderful . Great transportation is provided with the shuttle pass bought at the airport . All of the staff were friendly and helpful .

• Liked — Was charming and very safe .
  • Disliked — Walls are thin can get a little noisey .
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank sjbella
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2008

Having moved to Lanai recently and seen that there are not too many options for dining, excluding both Four Seasons Properties, there is Hotel Lanai which provide really nice food.

Good selection of ingrediance, the menu is appealing and changes regularly.

The selection of drinks is really appealing too. All staff are extreamly friendly and very polite.

Nice place to go have a meal.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tackos
Elk Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Lanai 10/5 to 10/8/08 during part of a three week visit to the islands. After doing extensive research we opted for the "Keepers cottage" at the hotel. It is a small cottage not attached to the hotel itself and mostly hidden from view by the landscaping (Just to the left of the main part of the hotel). The hotel refers to it as the cottage or room 11. It has recently been renovated but still has that old plantation charm intact. The bed in the cottage was by far the most comfortable we slept in during our entire stay! There is no A/C in any unit but you are well above sea level and it gets a bit cool in the evening so none is needed. The cottage has a picnic table right outside the door. The sitting room has a sofa bed so it would be ideal for a small family needing two beds. The cottage rents for a little over $200 a night plus taxes and is well worth it.

I am attaching pictures to give you a sense of the layout but of course they really do not do it justice. As a side note, there is a TV with a DVD player although we did not use it except to catch a bit of the news. There is no refrigerator however they do provide a cooler and the ice machine is right around the corner from the cottage. There is also a blow drier, iron and ironing board. Very nice soap, shampoo and conditioner. There is no phone in the room but the cell service is fine. If you need anything from the front desk you will need to get it by 7 PM, it is not manned all night.

The cottage is quiet but is near the back door to the restaurant which the staff uses. They are as quiet as they can be and are gone by 10 PM. The restaurant is closed on Monday and Tuesday.

The restaurant is a little pricey compared to the other options in town but the food was excellent. My wife had the chicken and I had the ribs and we split a fresh Lanai Greens salad.

The free breakfast every morning on the shared lanai consisted of great coffee, juice, fresh fruit, muffins, toast and english muffins. It was nice to chat with the other guests and skim the paper every morning.

Some of the highlights near the hotel are the Mike Carrol gallery. Both Mike and his wife are super friendly and he has many of his prints/paintings of Lanai available plus the works of a few other artists. Cafe 565 offers good food and huge portions as does the Blue Ginger. If you are visiting on a Sunday very little is open. THE gas station (as in the only one on the island) and I think just one of the few restaurants in town. The Hotel restaurant is open. There is a public library at the end of town and for $10 you can have internet access at any public library in Hawaii. There is a laundromat in town and two food markets. There are some other quaint shops with local gifts.

You can either use the shuttle to get around (I think it is $33 a week). It goes between the two Four Seasons resorts, the Hotel Lanai, the airport and the ferry boat harbor. If you really want to see the island rent a jeep. You have two options, Dollar rent a car (which you ride the shuttle to pick up) or Adventure Lanai Ecoentre (which you pick up at either the airport or ferry dock, no shuttle needed).

A tip for those visiting when it is dry (like in October), it is very dusty driving around and almost impossible to keep the dust out of the car. Put everything you can in a sealed plastic bag. We wore our bathing suits and a t-shirt to drive around then when we got back just hopped in the shower dressed and rinsed all the dust off.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via Trip Advisor and hopefully I can answer your questions.

• Liked — The old time charm, more like home than any resort offers
  • Disliked — Small refrigerator would have been nice
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
12 Thank BrightonBill
calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

Anyone thinking of staying here should remember, this is not a resort. If you're looking for a resort, there's the Four Seasons near the ferry landing. This is a plantation style building adapted to an Inn. Rooms are basic and the lack of TV is a refreshing break; it makes it easier to get away from it all. The staff are friendly and the rooms are clean and updated. It's set perfectly in this little town; it's all very 'island style' and a little anachronistic.

We prepaid for the use of the shuttle that seems to cover the highlights of the island. This served us well, but we will probably rent a jeep next time we go.

We also tried the restaurant. The food was excellent. I never ate there when Henry Clay ran it, so I can't be like others and say it wasn't as good as when Henry owned the place. I wish Henry all the best, but there's nothing wrong with the food.

Really suggest this place for a true island escape!

• Liked — it's a piece of modern Hawaiiana
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gonecanuck
DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at hotel lanai and found it dirty and unfriendly. The new owners have allot to learn about the hotel restaurant business. The food was not as good as we heard it was going to be. maybe because the chef does not live on Lanai...I think she lives on maui but who knows..... more attention is needed!
Overall I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Sorry but they have a long way to go, oh and do stale bagels equal a continental breakfast?

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank rougechef
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

I am very sorry that you “Liked: nothing” and “Disliked: everything” about our Hotel Lanai and our restaurant, Lanai City Grille. You also say you found it “dirty and unfriendly.” Comments like these are certainly not typical of the many positive reviews we have been getting consistently. For example, one guest wrote, “the staff is friendly and the rooms are clean and updated,” which is just the opposite.

Perhaps you could be more specific. Had you pointed out a particular problem while you were there, we would have certainly taken care of it. We take pride and put forth a great deal of effort in thoroughly cleaning. Consequently, we often get written comments like “everything was squeaky clean” and “basic but spotlessly clean,” if you look at some of the other reviews.

Bev Gannon is the award-winning chef who created our new American Comfort Food cuisine and menu. As you can read from the many positive restaurant reviews since your visit, guests often make comments about our restaurant and menu items like this: “fabulous,” “our best meal in Hawaii,” “so good we went back three times,” and “fish dishes are amazing.” So without specifics, I am at a loss as to why you felt “the food was not as good as you heard it was going to be.”

Our continental breakfasts always include: fresh Danish and pastries, fresh fruit, bagels, toast, juice, and the island’s best coffee. I am not sure how it happened that you only found stale bagels, maybe you could provide some more details?

Best Regards,

#1 of 3 in Lanai City
Hotel Molokai
Hotel Molokai
#1 of 4 in Kaunakakai

Been to Hotel Lanai? Share your experiences!