“Disappointing in a few ways”

Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at Koele for three nights last week and did enjoy our experience there. We were surprised,however, at the behavior of some staff as it was unprofessional.
The Lodge is a lovely spot with breathtaking sunsets and lovely gardens. It is unlike any other place in Hawaii. We liked the rooms better at Koele than Manele Bay as they were cozier and much more charming with newer furnishings that were much more cheerful.The food is also better at the Lodge.
Our problem lay with the staff as quite a few times during our stay we were disturbed by inappropriate behavior. On several occasions we ate dinner or lunch at the lovely bar off the lobby and were disturbed by the chatter of staff gathering around the cash register and gossiping. The chatter was loud enough for us to ask them to keep it down as we could not hear each other.
One morning in the lobby at six AM there was a group of staff gathered around the front desk shrieking with laughter that resounded throughout the front of the hotel.
I have no objection to people enjoying life and work but not at the expense of others who are paying for tranquility and relaxation.
We encountered problems with staff on a few occasions ranging from our room key not working
three times to items left by us in our room accidentally not being returned to us after we had checked out. On each occasion we had to make several calls and received little help. We have still not received the items we left in the room though we were promised several days ago they had been sent to us.
Perhaps Koele is going through a transition period under new ownership and our experience is a rare one, but it was disturbing enough to us to not want it repeated.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor room as the construction is such that lower rooms are quite noisy and guests w...
3  Thank lucindaw
Management response:Responded September 20, 2013

Aloha lucindaw,

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay last week. I appreciate your nice review of the resort setting, exquisite cuisine and charming rooms and do agree - the sunsets are breathtaking from our location. Regarding your feedback about the staff activity, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. Please be assured that I have addressed it with the departments mentioned and this is certainly not the norm and appreciate you bringing it to my attention. Our team has repeatedly recognized among top travel magazines for "Best in Service" due to their genuine warmth, enthusiasm and excellent service standards and do wish you had experienced these many sides to our experienced team. If you would like to discuss your experiences in further detail, please feel free to reach out directly to me. We do hope to welcome you back and regain your trust in the team.

Warmest aloha,

Alice Bouman
Resort Manager
alice.bouman@fourseasons.com

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We went for a weekend in Lanai from our home in Maui. I had been to the hotel before but it was the first trip for my wife and she thought it was great, a unique grounds and super golf course. The golf course is in my top five together with others in Bali, Thailand and southern China.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I just returned from 4 days at the Lodge at Koele. I had been trying to get there for years, but finally made it. The peace & serenity were just what I'd been looking for.
Check-in went smoothly, & I was greeted with flower leis & drinks. I had a garden deluxe room, which was beautifully decorated, comfortable & luxurious. Everything was in perfect condition, & showed no signs of age (as another reviewer had stated). The bath amenities, coffee/tea service, etc., were top quality.
The hotel lobby is the hub of the resort. The feel is not Hawaii, but of a grand lodge in a national park. Massive fireplaces at each end of the lobby keep fires burning on chilly mornings, and there are endless comfy places to sit & read, relax, & have a warm drink. There is also complimentary coffee/tea/muffins set out from 5:30 to 7:00 a.m. for early risers. Another great area to sit is in one of the comfortable wicker chairs on the veranda, which runs the length of the hotel.
I only had breakfast at the lodge, which had a great selection on the menu. Everything I ordered was excellent, & they were happy to accommodate my list of food allergies.
I found the shuttle service efficient & convenient. I think the price is quite reasonable for unlimited transportation around the island - airport, ferry, town, Manele Bay.
I dined one evening at Kailani at the Manele Bay, & it was outstanding. I went early to watch the sunset & the torch lighting, & then dined overlooking the ocean. The food was wonderful. However, in comparison to the Lodge at Koele, the Manele Bay seemed rather generic & drab.
When considering the Lodge you must remember that this is not a typical Hawaiian experience. It is a county setting, not particularly tropical in ambiance, & quiet, quiet, quiet. It makes a great add on before or after a stay at a beach resort.
I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TerriRH
LodgeatKoele, Resort Manager at Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Aloha TerriRH,

Thank you so much taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Your headline, "Just what I had hoped it would be!!!" says it all and I am so glad you made it to the island and discovered first hand what a special place it is. As you noted, the atmosphere of the resort is peaceful and serene, surrounding by Hawaii's beautiful upcountry and colorful gardens. Thank you for sharing your wonderful tips, such as the complimentary teas and muffins in the morning - there are many complimentary amenities that we offer to make the stay even more comfortable. Additionally, I'm glad you were able to explore our oceanside sister property and enjoy the dining experience. Thank you again for your great review and I look forward to welcoming you back!

Warmest aloha,

Alice Bouman
Resort Manager

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I spent three magical nights at The Lodge at Koele in July. From the Lei greeting at the dock (we took a boat from Maui) to the warm greeting at the Lodge front desk where they offered us an upgrade this was the most wonderful part of our Hawaii trip. The grounds are beautiful and don't miss the orchid house. They arranged a tour of the island for us and also a great horseback ride. The lodge is lovely and tranquil. Our suite was beautiful and comfortable.
We went over to the Four Seasons at Manele Bay and it was beautiful. Great restaurants at both hotels. Don't miss this wonderful place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

If you are looking for a serene setting, this is it. Far enough away from the hustle and bustle but just a short bus ride away to the beach and golf. Lots to do at the resort and the concierge was great to organize any off site activities. Beautiful cool nights and days. Attended a wedding which was lovely. Setting was beautiful and much appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wlself
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I had a great time at the Lodge. Lots of activities offered just off the property, but coordinated with the concierge. We enjoyed horse-back riding, archery and 4x4 on trails. Also, the game room (trophy room) was fun, shuffle board and billiards.
The staff was very nice and accommodating, albeit laidback (we liked this).
We thought the shuttle was great and spent a couple nights eating at the Beach property, as well as enjoyed the beach and spa.
The best sunset on the island is from a couple of the big chairs on the porch (you have to figure out which ones)...
We found this to be a very unique Four Seasons as well as Hawaiian experience.
Mahalo to the entire staff!

Room Tip: ask for one of the corner octagon rooms.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We live on Maui and this was the first time we left our 3 children over night. We truly felt we were on a vacation, even though, we weren't far. Staying at the lodge was a different experience for us - we loved the cool nights and upcountry feel. It was a great Birthday weekend and I recommend it to Maui residents as well as visitors! Lanai is a quiet relaxing island!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
16 mi away
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele? Share your experiences!