“Beautiful property. Mediocre service”

Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanai City
Fort Worth, Texas
“Beautiful property. Mediocre service”
Reviewed January 27, 2008

My husband and I spent Dec 19-Dec 26, 2007 at The Lodge at Koele. The Lodge is a BEAUTIFUL resort. The grounds are stunning and it was the perfect place to spend Christmas.

Having said that, like most people planning a Hawaiian adventure, I had high expectations for the Four Seasons. My first concern was when I booked our week's adventures with one of the concierges, Flora. Every day during that week my husband and I had planned some type of event. From spa time, to horseback riding to jeep expeditions, to sporting clays, etc. We wanted to take advantage of all that The Lodge had to offer. Flora wasn't very helpful or knowledgable. It made me wonder what all of the fuss over the Four Seasons was. Her attitude was worthy of about one star. Sadly, she was the same person who greeted us upon our check in to The Lodge. Upon check-in, you are greeted with leis and fresh pineapple juice. Flora greeted us with our juice and a gift that our in-laws had sent to us. Sadly, this lady lurked on top of us while we felt compelled to chug our juice and open the gift so that she could move on and quickly get us to our room. Nothing special about the check-in! I felt like she was just going through the motions. No heart. No heartfelt welcome either! HOWEVER, there was a bottle of champage chilling in our room when we got there. That was a nice touch to the chilly reception. Another nice touch by the hotel staff was when they delivered authentic quilted Hawaiian stockings to our room on Christmas Eve. Very nice touch.

Our garden room was the perfect size for me and my husband. It had a nice King size bed with VERY comfortable sheets and I requested a down comforter so that made it extra comfy! Highly recommend the down comforter. Felt like home.

The property inside and out was stunning! It felt like upscale rustic lodge. It was comfy, yet not too flashy. It reminded me of The Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC.

We enjoyed eating at the Dining Room, The Experience at Koele Clubhouse, The Terrace Room, Ihilani (Manele Bay), Ocean Grill (Manele Bay), Room Service & High Tea and Hot chocolate in the lobby. All of the food was good. The prices were wwwwaaayyy too high. Ridiculously high. Like $18 for popcorn. We did order our share of these ridiculously high items (even the popcorn), but we also bought some food in Lanai City at Richard's Market. My husband and I packed our own lunch and ate out by the pagoda one day. We were right next to the waterfall and it was lovely and romantic.

The BIGGEST complaint we had/have is the HOUSEKEEPING. HORRIBLE. My husband was enjoying his R&R from an overseas deployment. Well, we would usually have the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door at the times when housekeeping would be there to tidy up. I'm not kidding you, THEY DISTURBED US EVERY SINGLE DAY THAT WE SPENT AT THE LODGE. If it wasn't by knocking on the door, it was by calling us on the phone and asking if we wanted housekeeping to come in!!!!! I was livid. How can people rest and enjoy their holiday when you specifically ask housekeeping not to disturb. In addition, the Four Seasons being the Four Seasons, I would have imagined that on the days that we were schedule to go on our jeep expeditions, horseback riding, sporting clays, and archery, etc., they would try to tidy up the room when they KNEW that we were scheduled to be somewhere else and out of the room. Is it too much to ask that concierge hook up with housekeeping to work this out?

Next, on Christmas Day, The Lodge experienced multiple losses of power. We were getting ready for Christmas dinner when this occurred. We had to finish getting ready in the dark. uuuggghhh! Then, later that night, after we had finished our dinner around 9:00pm, the lights went out and came on sometime during the night. This problem is more than likely due to being on an island rather than a problem with the Four Seasons. Also, one night we rented a movie and all of a sudden halfway through the movie, the movie shut off. We called the front desk and they stated that they've been having problems like that lately. uuugghh! crazy! We were unable to watch the end of the movie. They didn't offer a refund. I had to ask!

Having said all of that, we DID have a great time at The Lodge. However, do not expect perfect service at this Four Seasons. It's not gonna happen. We did go to Manele Bay for 2 days and had a great time. The beach is just beautiful there. The pool area is nice and the wait staff was accomodating. We enjoyed eating at Hulopo'e Court. The lau lau was fantastic. And, they even brought over complimentary champage for me and DH when they learned that he was on leave from his military service.

We enjoyed going to Garden of the Gods and Shipwreck Beach with our jeep rental. We enjoyed touring Lanai on horseback and seeing Molokai and Maui on the trails. We enjoyed our first experience with archery. However, I must warn that I'm right handed and my left forearm and upper arm were black and blue when I was finished with this event. The arm guard just wasn't cutting it for me. Finally, we enjoyed the trails around The Lodge and working out in their exercise room. We swam in the pool once and it was quiet and relaxing. The sounds of nature abound at The Lodge and you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. It is nice and relaxing. Eventhough there were some bumps during our stay, I would still recommend this resort to others. Lanai is a beautiful island and I felt honored to visit such a beautiful part of the country.

• Liked — The Lodge felt like it was still undiscovered.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank VeniVidiVixiTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Indonesian first
bermuda
Reviewed January 24, 2008

We stayed here after staying at the four seasons on the Big Island. The two cannot be compared in terms of service standards, decor, facilities etc. It was like going from a five star to a two star. However, the prices do not compare either (The Lodge was much cheaper - although not exactly cheap at $400 per night).

The location is lovely, great place to escape and relax. the gardens are beautiful. We much preferred the Lodge to the sister hotel at Manale Bay (tiny crowded pool and cheesy hotel decor).

The locals employed at the hotel have some work to do to get up to four seasons standard. I am afraid to say that the service was largely poor, save for some decent overseas managers.

My husband enjoyed the golf and the clay pigeon shooting. If you like outdoor sports and want somewhere to relax this place is four you. If you are expecting a four seasons experience - you may be disappointed,

• Stayed January 2008
5 Thank bermudatrinagle
Los Angeles, Ca
Reviewed January 10, 2008

Relaxation, tranquility, exotic golf destination, excellent dining, and five star hotel hospitality and service- I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away from it all and have everything taken care of for you! It was worth the price and time to travel to Lanai to visit this enchanting and unique plantation style hotel/golf resort. The golf course takes you up into the mountains into a beautiful forest of trees, ponds, waterfalls and a view overlooking the entire resort. There are hiking trails that are walking distance from the main hotel lobby that take you through the Zen like manicured lawns and into mountainous firs. Don't forget your camera, especially while playing golf! You'll need it for the 17th hole! From the moment we arrived until the time we departed, the Four Seasons' modern amenities (large HD television), flavorful cuisine blended with the old world style of this hotel made it a vacation spot I definitely look forward to visiting again.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — No Opinion- Loved it all!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Fl
Reviewed December 31, 2007

We arrived at the Lodge after spending a few days at the Grand Wailea on Maui and found it to be a welcome diversion from the bigger hotel. Awesome lush setting in the hills seemed more like a mountain resort than Hawaii. The cooler temps were also refreshing. The rooms were very, very nice and the overall feel of the Lodge was very comforting. The Experience golf course was absolutely fantastic with excellent greens and scenery. It may be on my top ten worldwide and I have played many of the top ones.
The food was pricey and so so but the lunch at the golf grill was really good. We went downtown and ate at both restaurants and they were good, although the pizza shop does sell wine now and will not let you bring in your own as another review suggested. The other dining option is more of a breakfast / lunch spot.
The town is neat and can be explored in a couple of hours max.

All in all a fabulous place for those looking to just relax and hang out with out the distraction of others and kids. I would not bring kids here as there is nothing for them to do. A great spot for a golf couple. The bus down to the beach is always there if you want to get back to a more "normal" Hawaii.

• Liked — Nice rooms
  • Disliked — nothing to do
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Please see review for Manele Bay for overall comments on trip, transport, etc.

The Lodge at Koele is not on the ocean. You need to know this ahead of time. That being said, it is a gorgeous, rustic, dramatic inland properly close to town that seamlessly shares the assets of the Manele Bay property. There are shuttles that travel back and forth between the two sites every 30 minutes, with a stop in town each way. It is fantastically easy to get around, and you will not want a rental car.

We stayed at Manele for 4 days, then used the shuttle van to relocate to Koele. The room was beautiful, decorated in English countryside decor, and the porch had dramatic views. The Koele is mostly about croquet, golf, hiking, and sitting in the lodge.

The visit starts with some pineapple juice at checkin, and a quick orientation to the property. There's a great gameroom and a huge lodge with two fireplaces and nightly music. I really did not care for the singer, but there were many who did. We were happy to find somewhere else to go for some Scrabble or billiards.

We did not eat on site, rather we found ourself spending time back down at the beach and pool at Manele Bay. In retrospect, we probably would have been fine spending 8 nights at that one property. But Koele was lovely too, and very relaxing. There are good hiking opportunities (check out the walking sticks in your closet!) but make sure you're clear about which one you want to take. We had asked about a longer hike but were given information for a shorter one. Honest mistake, and the shorter hike was great too.

The pool, hottubs, and grounds are immaculate and great for relaxed walks. There is a great 18 hole putting course (no windmills or gimmicks, just very challenging terrain) that was a lot of fun.

What you need to know- please see my other review about Lanai in general. Make sure this is the vacation you want, because you'll work hard and pay a premium to get there. Also, you need to know that the shuttle vans are an easy and reliable way to get around, and they run like clockwork. We used them to get to town daily for food, and to move between the two hotels on a daily basis. The food is expensive. They have free high-SPF sunscreen at the pools and beach, so hey you don't have to bother packing it! There's plenty of water and lemonade also, so no need to bring it. There's a fridge in the room, so you can stash things from town. The coffee in the lodge every morning is A+. The coffee in the room is not...

We are looking forward to coming back to Lanai every 5 years or so. However, will probably stay at Manele Bay and take the ride up to Koele for a hike or tea, just not to move in. We just preferred to see and hear the gorgeous ocean for the same price. And the pool/pool scene is much more fun and interesting at Manele.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Happylifeingood
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed November 29, 2007

What an amazing place! The Four Seasons Lodge at Koele is as beautiful as it is unique. Nestled in the mountains of Lana'i, the grounds seem almost magical and the accommodations, staff and amenities are second to none.

Upon arrival (from either Maui ferry or "airport" via 20 minute shuttle bus), for our four night stay, we were greeted with beads/flowers and fresh juice. We arrived a tad early and although our room wasn't ready, the staff immediately addressed us by our Sir name(s) and escorted us to the lounge where NFL action was being displayed in HDTV. Sweet! As an aside, the entire staff knew our name for the length of our stay which was just one example of how well trained and nice their employees are. Hands down the best service I have ever experienced in a hotel.

The Lodge is one of two Four Seasons on the island (the other is on the beach at Manele Bay) and each has it's own distinctive feel. Guests can make use of either facility (i.e. spa visits, golf or drinks/food) and be billed directly to their room. Although I did not stay at Manele, my wife and I did have an outdoor couples massage there (AMAZING) as well as multiple visits to their pool/beach. You really cannot go wrong with either, but we wanted a less beachy stay since we would be island hopping in Hawaii for two weeks anyway.

Back to the Lodge. The rooms are new and pristine as one would expect at a Four Season's property. The beds are comfortable and plush, the bathrooms are modern, classic and immaculate. Flat screens with internet, gaming and PPV are standard. The hotel has free DVDs as well that can be signed out from the front desk. Each room has it's own private lanai.

We stayed on the golf/spa package which was really an incredible bargain when you consider that full breakfast (ala carte, not some cheap buffet style), unlimited golf (as many holes as you can squeeze in per day) and the spa were included. I was probably the luckiest Honeymooner of all time as I managed to hit a hole in one on the Experience at Koele course on my first day there! The Lodge FedEx'ed me a trophy that I received upon returning home as well as logged my name into their eternal clubhouse lore. Club and shoe rental was reasonably priced and I was given NEW Calloway clubs and new Footjoy shoes. The course itself is truly magnificent and extremely challenging. The grounds also have a Championship Mini golf course.

Breakfast foods were amazing, try the huevos rancheros if you can. Lunch is overly expensive and nothing too special, but you can make use of the empty fridge in your room by hopping off the shuttle in Lanai City and grabbing cold cuts, fruit, etc. This will save you A LOT of money. The Lodge has two restaurants for dinner, one is more upscale. We tried both and found the casual dining to be almost every bit as good as the higher priced fare, although one night getting dressed up was nice. Expect smaller portions and a more exotic selection in the formal dining room, although the wine list was extensive. Overall, the food was good, but nothing memorable.

Lanai "City" is a small town that is like the land that time forgot. The island used to be mostly pineapple plantation(s), but now is 98% owned by ultra-wealthy David Murdoch and most residents work in some way for one of the two resorts. Word of caution, there is NO NIGHTLIFE in Lana'i and this is not a child-friendly place. If you seek a romantic getaway, this is your spot. In many ways my wife and I liked Lana'i better than Maui.

In the end, the Four Seasons at Koele (and Manele Bay) are not cheap but you will have a rewarding and memorable experience not easily found anywhere else the United States, if not the world. It is an exclusive and wonderful place, we'll certainly be back someday!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank LordHonna
SF bay area
Reviewed November 19, 2007

We agree that the property is lovely and relaxing, but the restaurant staff has been poorly trained. The food, particularly in the formal dining room, was not in keeping with other resorts of this caliber. Considering $14.50 drinks, $10 espresso, poor service and mediocre food, we feel that they have a way to go before they enter the 5 star arena.

Stayed November 2007
The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua
Hotel Molokai
Hotel Molokai
#1 of 4 in Kaunakakai

Been to Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele? Share your experiences!